• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

State of the Canes

Yes, there has even been talk of the lease being bought out. Las Vegas and Montreal seem to be the two places that are being most discussed.

Las Vegas and Quebec City.

Las Vegas is definitely happening as the NHL is already notifying teams of the expansion draft procedures (such as the rules for the protection of players). For instance, players with no movement clauses will have to be protected by teams while players with no trade clauses can be exposed to the expansion draft. As for the number of players that can be protected, teams can protect: seven forwards, three defenseman, and one goalie. Should a team want to protect another defenseman, they have the option to protect eight total skaters and one goalie. 

Just for speculation, I would think the Canes would be protecting Jeff Skinner, Jordan Staal, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm, Sebastian Aho, Phillip Di Giuseppe, Justin Faulk, Noah Hanifin, Jaccob Slavin, a free agent/trade acquisition, and Eddie Lack.

As for the possibility of a relocation, it's certainly feasible that the Canes could relocate to Quebec. If an individual or a group of an investors approaches Karmanos and offers to buy the team for the estimated $225 million dollars that the team is worth and also buys out the $20 million dollar arena lease then obviously the Carolina Hurricanes would have a great shot at becoming the Quebec Nordiques.

It really all depends if Karmanos is willing to hold on to the team until an individual or local investment group (North/South Carolina) buys the team. What people are worried about is that Karmanos already moved the team once (Hartford Whalers) and since he's not really well liked by the people of Raleigh anyway, what would keep him from selling the team to a investment group in Quebec City if an offer presented itself. He already sold the OHL (Ontario Hockey League) team that he owned and they ended up relocating to Flint, Michigan.

Another issue is that he is currently being sued by his three sons for $105 million dollars. If he loses the lawsuit, he may not be able to afford the team and will have to sell regardless.

I give the Canes two to three more years in Raleigh. If the team hasn't been sold by then I expect a move in 2019-20. Just my opinion of course.

If the Canes move, it all falls on Karmanos. Never liked him. All he cares about is his money and doesn't give a damn what kind of product is on the ice. This team has gone downhill ever since the Cup win 10 years ago.  Fielding mediocre team after mediocre team along with mediocre coaching staffs.

Still haven't seen any reputable source saying that the Canes are moving anywhere. If you google "Carolina Hurricanes moving", the first several results are either debunking the rumor that we are or NHL officials flatly saying there's no chance we end up moving to QC.

When the Hornets left years ago I was very angry and disappointed.  I couldn't invest in them because they were too far away to go to games all the time.  If the Hurricanes left, I don't know what I would do.  We've been season ticket holders since after the lockout in 2005.  Seen good and bad since then.  Mostly bad recently from mismanagement of contracts and poor player development, doo-doo coach hires and that fugly uniform change.  (Don't get me wrong, the Away uniform is good).  The team actually turned in a different direction this season and I am looking forward to the next.  Jim Goodnight is too smart to invest in a professional sports team but I really wish he would buy them.  He's pretty much our only hope.  

According to hockey buzz, the rumors are that the NHL has never talked about moving the Canes. They're hoping that the current ownership situation works itself out, but if not, the league has a local owner with an already prominent business in the area lined up to take over. 

Now, the rumors also say that the Canes were "bailed out" by the league earlier this season as well. Throw in the ownership situation with the lawsuits and the attendance issues, its a big mess. 

With the way the league is approaching this, it feels a lot like the Atlanta situation when they ultimately lost the Thrashers. 

On 6/4/2016 at 3:51 PM, KillerKat said:

If the Canes move, it all falls on Karmanos. Never liked him. All he cares about is his money and doesn't give a damn what kind of product is on the ice. This team has gone downhill ever since the Cup win 10 years ago.  Fielding mediocre team after mediocre team along with mediocre coaching staffs.

This. You can't pin the blame on the market when the product hasn't been there in a long time. Places like Atlanta with the Thrashers and Vancouver with the Grizzlies never had a shot.

If Raleigh had a successful team and wasn't drawing flies, that'd be one thing, but aside from the 00s, it's been mediocrity (there's a reason the Whalers were the 'Forever .500s.')

I'd be more concerned about the ownership situation and arena lease more than anything else.

Hard to believe for awhile there, the Hurricanes looked like the only NC team capable of long term success. Now it's like the Raleigh and Charlotte franchises switched places.

Looking back, the 2006 Stanley Cup Finals might be the "flukiest" championship series in sports history in terms of the participants.

Ron Francis just told media yesterday that the team has no plans on moving. For the Canes, its simple. Just win. Strong markets like Chicago and Pittsburgh had low attendence and they sky rocketed once they started winning (granted they also got generational talent, but winning none the less). 

The defense is very young, but also really good with a very high ceiling. Guys like Hanifin, Slavin and Pesce will play big roles next year. Also we have Wiz coming back and will provide even more depth, or cause us to move Slavin or Pesce for forward help maybe. The Canes should be looking at adding some impact wingers this summer via free agency, as well as Sebastian Aho pushing for a roster spot. We also have like 7 picks in the first 3 rounds of this years draft as well. A lot to be excited about. 

53 minutes ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

Entry Level deal done for Sebastian Aho. Hopefully his ability to produce points translates to the NHL. Canes need some scoring. 

What free agents are ya'll hoping we make a move on? Me personally, I would'nt mind seeing James Reimer and Loui Erickson/Kyle Okposo. 

The Aho contract is a good sign that he's going to get a legimate chance at the NHL squad. As for Free Agents, I want Okposo. 

There's also a chance we bring back Cam Ward. Folks wont like it but I know he wont be back at the same price he was getting paid.

Archived