• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers NFL Draft - Day 2 Predictions

Jeremy Igo

While I believe the Panthers will be forced to trade-up in Round 2 to get one of the three remaining CBs available (MacKenzie Alexander, Xavien Howard, Kendall Fuller), I will simply assume we will stay put.

Here are my potential prospects on Day 2 (with our current picks).  I don't believe there is a CB worth drafting at the end of Round 2 that can make an immediate impact, so if we don't trade up, don't expect a CB here unless one of the aforementioned 3 above were to fall.

2nd Round Prospects

Kenneth Dixon - RB - LA Tech,  Another Bulldog?  Could be.  Dixon holds the record for most FBS TD's in history.  He has many miles on him, but I believe has many more.  Very stout with great center of gravity.  Reminds me of a poor man's JStew.  Reliable hands, and can identify blitzers well.  He does have a fumbling issue that will need to be addressed..  900 touches and 14 fumbles in career.

Su'a Cravens - SS - USC, Here is a guy we have been rumored to have "scary interest" in.  We lost Roman Harper, and this guy could help fill that void.  He can really cover on an island, great instincts and reactive, however, his tackling leaves some to be desired.  He's not an especially stout or physical player.  At 222lbs he would need to lose a few pounds.

TJ Green - FS - Clemson,  Height/Weight/Speed guy.  Huge coverage range.  Yet, very raw prospect, poor tackling form preferring to lung with shoulder rather than wrap up.. does not have good instincts.  Fastest safety in the draft, with a very high ceiling.. I'd say Eric Berry is his ceiling, but also very low floor.  With proper coaching, could be great.

Sterling Shepard - WR - Oklahoma, This guy reminds me of Golden Tate all day.  Would help round out our offense and replace Jerrico Cotchery.  Playmaker with the ball in his hands and the best route runner in the draft.

3rd Round Prospects

Charles Tapper - DE - Oklahoma,  He's a slightly more athletic version of Charles Johnson in my opinion.  They just happen to have the same first name, and same measurable.  Non-stop motor, great bull rush, long arms.  Lacks elite quickness, but has enough for OT to respect the outside move.  Doesn't have a plethora of pass rush moves as he was asked to contain mostly at Oklahoma. 

Braxton Miller - WR - Ohio St,  He's raw at the position, but I think he has a higher ceiling than Sterling Shepard due to his elite athleticism.. they are the same style of shifty, slot-based WR that we need to round out our offense.  Would replace Jerrico Cotchery.

Cyrus Jones - CB - Alabama,  An undersized, yet, very quick and agile slot guy that would allow Benwikere to move outside.  Best return man in the draft.  Not the best cover corner, better suited to the slot due to lack of top-end speed.  Very physical at POA with strength to re-route receivers.  Needs to work on run awareness but very good in run support when properly diagnosing play.

Zack Sanchez - CB - Oklahoma,  Very instinctive player that likes to take chances on the ball.  Great ball skillz, but can bite on the double move, and pump fake.  If he can learn discipline, he could be a great CB in our system.  Smaller frame but physical for his size.. He's got a little Tyrann Matheiu in him.

Alex Collins/Jonathan Williams - RB - Arkansas,  Both players will go in this area.  Both players have similar strengths and weaknesses.  Both players run a little upright, and need to lower pad level.  Decent pass blocking.  Weren't asked to catch much.  In the mold of Chris Ivory... strong physical runners that can wear you down.  Quick and shifty between the tackles.

Harlan Miller - CB - SE Louisiana,  Small school prospect with good upside.  Tenacious tackler with great wrap-up ability.  Very quick feet on tape, with ability to mirror receivers.  A little slow.. same speed as Norman, but perfect for zone scheme.  Very thin, needs to add weight at the next level.. poor combine numbers.

James Bradberry - CB - Samford,  Another small school guy.  Looks great in zone, but needs much work on press coverage.  Very long corner that looks the part but has issues with footwork.  Not very physical preferring to lower his head on contact and doesn't drive through target. 

Edited by Lout
  • Pie 4

12 minutes ago, Nick_81 said:

Teams who have been quietly working the QB circuit: The #AZCardinals, #Panthers, #Falcons & #Seahawks. Big backup QB day today.

Was just about to post that.  I don't really understand it though.  I mean, maybe next year for backup purposes, but I think we're pretty set here.

7 minutes ago, Nick_81 said:

Teams who have been quietly working the QB circuit: The #AZCardinals, #Panthers, #Falcons & #Seahawks. Big backup QB day today.

My Day 2-3 WTF pick as far as QB's go for the Panthers was Dak Prescott but I think the Cowgirls are going to take him at the beginning of the 3rd.  So I am going to go out and say we take 1 of these guys in the later rounds:

Jacoby Brissett, QB, N.C. State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 231. Arm: 32.88. Hand. 9.5.
40 Time: 4.94.
Projected Round (2016): 3-5.

Jeff Driskel, QB, Louisiana Tech
Height: 6-3. Weight: 230. Arm: 32.5. Hand: 9.75.
40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2016): 6-FA.

Vernon Adams Jr., QB, Oregon
Height: 5-11. Weight: 200. Hand: 9.13.
40 Time: 4.84.
Projected Round (2016): 6-FA.

Note that all of these guys are athletic and can extend the plays with their legs. Wouldn't have to change schemes with these guys.  Not saying this is even going to happen but wouldn't be surprise with DA and Webb getting "older"

My pick would be Driskel athletic big kid with wheels. 4.56 in the 40. Strong Arm.  Could be good development piece for Back up.