• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About those corners...

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, brainless wuss said:

To me the dilemma is that after considering the future of players drafted/signed this weekend and the development of young players from 2014-2015, and coupled with the loss of some defensive players -- are the Panthers more talented now than last year?  To answer "yes" takes a leap of faith--one our coaching staff and GM have earned but maybe one not obvious to outside evaluaters, but best reflected perhaps by the success of past "C grade" drafts.  Of course a little FA money/signing might go a ways to tip the scales.  However it is reasonable to expect some regression to the mean this year and simply maintaining the 2015 success could be considered a success.

I would say that yes we are more talented assuming continued development of our young core.  I, like everyone else, admit that I was a bit confused after we made our first three picks - my obsession of reading the pundits and proposed mock draft boards lead me to forget that any analytics should be applied based on the ultimate impact to our Panther's system - the players we picked were highest off of our board.  Could G-man play the game a little and let players valued in our system (but valued less in others) fall in the draft or make trades to accumulate additional draft picks (probably) - but I think one of the major reasons we have been so successful is that G-man keeps it simple and picks who he wants.

Also, the best coffee is from this little coffee shop in Charlotte called Cafeccinos - their Chai Teas are phenomenal.  

• Pie 1

Even if Gman had kept Norman this year he was going to draft multiple CB's anyway.

- Josh was going to be a 1-year rental. 

- Brandon Boykin is on a 1yr deal. 

- Bene' is coming off a broken leg.

- Teddy Williams is strictly a special teams guy.

- Robert McClain is a 4th corner who's gets targeted bc he's 5'9

- Lou Young and Travell Dixon are young and unproven.

Edited by TheSpecialJuan
  • Pie 6

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

Even if Gman had kept Norman this year, he was going to draft multiple CB's anyway.

- Josh was going to be a 1-year rental. 

- Brandon Boykin is on a 1yr deal. 

- Bene' is coming off a broken leg.

- Teddy Williams is strictly a special teams guy.

- Robert McClain is a 4th corner who's gets targeted bc he's 5'9

- Lou Young and Travell Dixon are young and unproven.

Dave realized he NEEDED to find long term CB's instead of signing guys like Tillman, Florence, Cason every year.

• Pie 2

42 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

I liked the CB's a lot, it's actually butler that I'm scratching my head on.

I love the Butler pick.  Fresh DT's who are monsters.  The D-line will dominate for 4 quarters.

Edited by ladypanther
  • Pie 1

9 hours ago, Nick_81 said:

He was designated as a franchise player.  Maybe you don't know how it works?  For another team to get him, they'd have to give up 2 first round picks, PLUS the contract.  Nobody is going to do that.  Not even Washington.  There was literally no way to get anything for him

I am aware of it and my opinion on that is if a GM thinks enough of a player  to use it and apply it, then that GM lives with it.  There other categories that could have been used.

this move cost a lot more than just Norman himself. The Panther GM caused a loss of depth that he could have used. That the team could have used.  

its water over the bridge now. Well over it

he is the NFL Executive of the year  I expect more frankly. Maybe that's the issue for me.  I expect with his experience to handle it to benefit the Panthers and I really struggle with losing an all pro and drafting three players in a position that as he himself says, doesn't matter much in the Panthers scheme 

12 hours ago, The_Rainmaker said:

I liked the picks ,DG basically said he didn't want a revolving door in the secondary anymore(press conf.)! Based on the draft strategy we should see it apply to the OL next year,I don't want to hear all the good lineman are gone it's s reach a now, just find the system player. 

Didn't you yell for picks to 'help the damn offense' after we picked another CB!? Now you say you liked the picks!? What's going on? 

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

I am aware of it and my opinion on that is if a GM thinks enough of a player  to use it and apply it, then that GM lives with it.  There other categories that could have been used.

this move cost a lot more than just Norman himself. The Panther GM caused a loss of depth that he could have used. That the team could have used.  

he is the NFL Executive of the year  I expect more frankly. Maybe that's the issue for me.  I expect with his experience to handle it to benefit the Panthers and I really struggle with losing an all pro and drafting three players in a position that as he himself says, doesn't matter much in the Panthers scheme 

giphy.gif

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

Please, enlighten us on this "loss of depth" that Gettleman cost us.