• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About those corners...

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, ThPantherFan said:

An assessment needing saying.  I've always found it kind of comical how the 'talking heads' of all the networks draft boards arrange value.  The absolute bottom line is what Jeremy points out, it's all about the system.  Unfortunately you don't have but a handful of choices come draft time.  You take what fits the system.  You pick from what is left during your time.  I would like to have seen different positions addressed but also know the corner was a need.  I have more trust in Gettlman than any GM I have knowledge of.  Very good write up, Jeremy.

Now, about that coffee.  I love coffee.  At my age, the amount of coffee I have tasted around the world could float a battleship.  Nothing tastes better, to me, than a European scoop (heaping tablespoon) of 'Eight O Clock'.

I think 'Eight O Clock' is for the more refined coffee drinker that actually enjoys a good coffee. Not just sugar and caramel. Sort of like a tall cold mug of Guinness. 

• Pie 1

24 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Many people thing OL is like caveman "ug... ball snap then push guy hard"... but, to me, its probably the most difficult position to play on the field.  Especially OT.  Which makes it VERY difficult to find players that not only fit your offensive scheme but can successfully translate to the NFL level of performance and physicality.

Well said.  But given that difficulty in finding the right guy, and given our serious thinness at the position right now behind Oher & Remmers (with both in contract years), doesn't that suggest we should be looking each draft to find some guy who *might* successfully translate?  I'm disappointed we didn't draft OL depth this year from some of the fairly solid prospects who were on the board in round 5.

1 minute ago, KB_fan said:

Well said.  But given that difficulty in finding the right guy, and given our serious thinness at the position right now behind Oher & Remmers (with both in contract years), doesn't that suggest we should be looking each draft to find some guy who *might* successfully translate?  I'm disappointed we didn't draft OL depth this year from some of the fairly solid prospects who were on the board in round 5.

That's a great point.

But I'm thinking that in DG's mind there's not a huge difference in the OL guys you can get by drafting them in lower rounds as compared to the ones he can dig up in the UDFA pile that he can (hopefully) find a gem.

Jeremy, I agree with what you wrote... and generally I'm ok with this draft.  Once I got over the shock of the Bradberry pick in round 2 and realized what Getts was doing, (and found some analytics that explained why he might be so high on Bradberry, LOL) I chilled.

But, I am concerned about OT.  I like Sanchez as a player, but picking 3 CBs and not picking an OT in round 5 has me worried.

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, NanceUSMC said:

We averaged (off the top of my head) 31 points per game last season, and absolutely embarrassed 2 of the 3 teams we faced in the playoffs...  Newton wasn't running for his life...  We allowed 33 sacks for the season...  Sure, we had 2 poor showings (1 against a historically good defense)...  Sure we can use some OL upgrades, but overall they did a very solid job...

On the other side of the ball, we were bringing in street FA's in the defensive backfield every couple weeks, and relying on veterans who are WAY past their prime to keep things together for us...  Yeah, losing Norman sucks......  But not as bad as having to start Robert McClain in the biggest game of the season because you had no one else...

That's how this draft made us better

Last year is over. Glad for the wins some could have gone another way  a year is a lifetime in the young man's game of pro football   Rosters have to turn over frequently  we all know this 

both the Falcons and broncos gave the blueprint on the panthers and also the inability of the panthers'  OC to  do a quicker offensive play selection to neutralize that rush  either we don't have it or we can't execute it

I seem to recall gettleman saying cornerback isn't that important in our scheme. Th e front seven is...quite an epiphany to draft 3 corners don't you think

just my opinion  not arguing with anyone  there were players there to make numerous positions  better  instead we got nothing this year for Norman  we focused on one position group to the extreme and stayed pat with positions that needed an upgrade  

i really feel that Super Bowl should have been a wake up call on the coaching staff and some players  instead it's the 'so glad to have been there ' platitudes    Will kelvin make difference  maybe  Stewart another year older as is Khalil 

dont get it  I'm not paid to get it  just my observation  i just pay to watch them play

• Pie 1

Amen Jeremy. Amen.

This draft was way better than any pundit will give us because we have filled out an area of strength and extinguished an area of need. Not to mention snagging two guys as UDFAs who were mid rd talents. 

My bet is that this draft will prove to be genius in hindsight. And we have some money to spend moving forward.....

8 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Jeremy, I agree with what you wrote... and generally I'm ok with this draft.  Once I got over the shock of the Bradberry pick in round 2 and realized what Getts was doing, (and found some analytics that explained why he might be so high on Bradberry, LOL) I chilled.

But, I am concerned about OT.  I like Sanchez as a player, but picking 3 CBs and not picking an OT in round 5 has me worried.

Here are the OT picked after the Round 5 pick of Sanchez:

Caleb Benenoch, UCLA

Joe Haeg, North Dakota State

Kyle Murphy, Stanford

Alex Lewis, Nebraska

Brandon Shell, South Carolina

Halapoulivaatie Vaitai, TCU

John Theus, UGA

Fahn Cooper, Ole Miss

Cole Toner, Harvard

I don't see a single one of the OTs listed above as a significant improvement over what can be found in the UDFA field or as a post-May 11 FA signee or after training camp cuts IMO.

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

1. How does a GM let an All Pro walk and get nothing?  Nada. Zero. Zip  an additional second or third round pick could have made a lot of difference this year

He was designated as a franchise player.  Maybe you don't know how it works?  For another team to get him, they'd have to give up 2 first round picks, PLUS the contract.  Nobody is going to do that.  Not even Washington.  There was literally no way to get anything for him.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

I just assume drink the diarrhea from an aids ridden Taiwanese ladyboy

Well you would probably get more out of that than coffee from Dunkin, so hey, get that protein.

Now, run, and tell that, homeboy!

• Pie 1