• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About those corners...

Jeremy Igo

NICKNAME TIME!!!!! 

But first, a quiz:

1. What kind of surface do the Panthers play on?  ........................
  2. What kind of grass?.............................
  3. 3 corners create a ..................................

KEY:  1. grass    2. Bermuda    3. Triangle

Therefore, the 2016 rookie CBs should be called the

Bermuda Triangle. 

Thank you.

• Pie 2

Where did Gettleman actually say he doesnt value CBs??? And i thought it was Riveras defensive system that focuses on pressure? Gettleman just goes out and gets him what he needs.

It doesnt make sense that Gettleman orchestrates the philosophy when Rivera was already here building the team.

8 hours ago, osd22 said:

Didn't you yell for picks to 'help the damn offense' after we picked another CB!? Now you say you liked the picks!? What's going on? 

Yes , I still wish he would have helped the offense, but nothing can change that now. Also the first 2 corners should help out with the loss of J-no so I'm all on aboard. This draft shows that he will flood a position in need of help so next year should be  OL with 4/5 becoming UFA

11 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I am aware of it and my opinion on that is if a GM thinks enough of a player  to use it and apply it, then that GM lives with it.  There other categories that could have been used.

this move cost a lot more than just Norman himself. The Panther GM caused a loss of depth that he could have used. That the team could have used.  

its water over the bridge now. Well over it

he is the NFL Executive of the year  I expect more frankly. Maybe that's the issue for me.  I expect with his experience to handle it to benefit the Panthers and I really struggle with losing an all pro and drafting three players in a position that as he himself says, doesn't matter much in the Panthers scheme 

I feel like his intent was to live with it.  Josh's agent blew it for us.  I don't say blew it for Josh, because he got his mega deal, but I truly feel he soured the whole situation.  To the point, it seems, that Gettleman just said, fug it.

The position isn't as important in the scheme we run, true, but that doesn't mean you ignore it.  We still have to have the players there, and my assumption is, that he liked the young talent in the draft, more than the vets in FA.  Maybe they fit better, than those on the open market.  

23 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I dont really care who he drafted or what position they are or how they are ranked by some sports reporter 

Four  questions worth asking

1. How does a GM let an All Pro walk and get nothing?  Nada. Zero. Zip  an additional second or third round pick could have made a lot of difference this year

2.  How did anything done during this draft make the Panthers one bit better against premier defenses   Seems to me the defensive backfield wasn't the reason for that super bowl loss or the beating Newton took from Atlanta   Speed against slow tackles, kills

3.  Aging and injury prone RB with third stringers behind them and an aging center in constract year

4  edge rushers

If he finds a replacement for Norman, good for him but giving away an All Pro and getting nothing for it, not smart and then the ancillary impact of wasting not two but three draft picks to fill the void.  This  offense needs upgrades.  Gettlemen would do well to consider Newton's replacement in two years as his body can't take the beating he is getting

I beleive Gettleman knows his roster a little better than you 

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Nick_81 said:

I feel like his intent was to live with it.  Josh's agent blew it for us.  I don't say blew it for Josh, because he got his mega deal, but I truly feel he soured the whole situation.  To the point, it seems, that Gettleman just said, fug it.

The position isn't as important in the scheme we run, true, but that doesn't mean you ignore it.  We still have to have the players there, and my assumption is, that he liked the young talent in the draft, more than the vets in FA.  Maybe they fit better, than those on the open market.  

They are cheaper and can grow into their roles. 

Gettleman Tagged Norman in order to try and work out a long term deal. From everything I have gathered, GMan came at Norman's agent with 10 mil per year first off, and wanted to negotiate. The Agent came back with 16. Gettleman came back with 11, agent came back with 16. Gettleman said I am not doing 16, and the Agent said, that's fine, we'll hold out but we're getting 16. Then Gettleman said, that's cool, but you'll get it somewhere else. Queue Norman finding out, trying to sign the original franchise tag offer because he didn't really want to leave or hold out, but the Agent fudged up so hard that it was no longer possible. Norman was not able to fire his agent due to league rules so he hired a second dude to negotiate his next contract and told the first guy to take a backseat and shut the fudge up. This lead to Norman getting a crap ton of money from the skins. 

So Norman got his money (at the price of familiarity and comfort) and we got 14 million to spend on other players (at the expense of our all-pro corner). No one knows who made the right call, but the way our scheme is built, Corners like Norman wants to be aren't meant to be paid 14 million because they aren't as important as the DL and LBers. You don't need a lockdown guy in our scheme. You need multiple guys that know how to play zone. Hopefully these guys we drafted can do it. 

• Pie 2

I dunno. I still think carolina could have traded down a few spots in to the 2nd picked up an extra 4th round pick and swap 3rd round picks.  now they have a high 2nd round pick, their own 2nd round pick, a high 3rd round pick and 2 4ths that they prolly could have flipped to get back in the 3rd.  I have no doubt that they could have gotten every player they drafted by doing this.  Could just be dreaming though.

1 minute ago, chknwing said:

I dunno. I still think carolina could have traded down a few spots in to the 2nd picked up an extra 4th round pick and swap 3rd round picks.  now they have a high 2nd round pick, their own 2nd round pick, a high 3rd round pick and 2 4ths that they prolly could have flipped to get back in the 3rd.  I have no doubt that they could have gotten every player they drafted by doing this.  Could just be dreaming though.

You are going by generic media boards that do not take into consideration team-specific systems.  GMan's board is based on value as a panther, and you should never think about what other boards have just get your guy at your value.

23 minutes ago, stirs said:

There are teams that historically pick in the top 10 and most get A's from the talking heads.  Next year, they are right back in their top 10 spot, picking again

True.  I dont think the team has improved for this upcoming season from both the draft and FA.  A year or so from now yeah i can see the corners making an impact but as far as this season and resolving any of the issues we had last year and especially in the superbowl i dont think thw team is any better.

4 minutes ago, chknwing said:

True.  I dont think the team has improved for this upcoming season from both the draft and FA.  A year or so from now yeah i can see the corners making an impact but as far as this season and resolving any of the issues we had last year and especially in the superbowl i dont think thw team is any better.

we beat the broncos in the Super Bowl with a better offensive Gameplan, not by adding more players to the mix. Prevent Remmers from being on an island with Miller, stop running up the gut every first down, and run more read option to keep the edge rushers honest. 

Also not turning the ball over would help tremendously.

I truly felt that we were the better overall team, we just didn't play like it that day. 

• Pie 2