• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keyarris Garrett didn't have to choose Carolina, but he did

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, Clicheking said:

Best coaching staff in the business. We don't have to worry about a player being subpar here and then going on and making it big somewhere else. If a guy can play this staff we'll get the best out of him.

I think what makes this so impressive is that this staff for the most part has been together for 5 years.  We haven't lost a coordinator since Chudz left and replaced him with someone who has really started to shine.

Otherwise our entire defensive staff has remained the same.  Continuity cannot be overlooked.    You keep the same guys with the same philosophy and you are going to be good.

Ray Brown and Ricky Proehl were long time stars in this league and have a ton of respect from the players.

And as it has been mentioned time and time again.  Dave Gettleman doesn't draft idiots.  You have to be a smart player to be a Panther.  Period.   I love this mentality we have.  Smart is good.

Go Panthers

• Pie 4

http://rotoviz.com/2016/05/82450/

Already stocked with WRs (including the returning Kelvin Benjamin), the Carolina Panthers signed Garrett as an undrafted free agent. And just like Benjamin and Devin Funchess before him, Garrett is one of the tallest WRs in his class. So while Benjamin and Funchess are at the top of the depth chart, grab Garrett at the end of your startup dynasty drafts for his future breakout potential.

On 5/16/2016 at 7:40 AM, Jeremy Igo said:

On 5/16/2016 at 8:21 AM, KB_fan said:

I'm not positive, but I think it IS possible that a guy could be stashed on IR without exposing them to waivers.  

As long as we keep them on the roster through at least 1st cuts after training camp, it appears they can get sent to the IR without being exposed to waivers.  

I'm a little late on seeing this but...you figured it out, the waive/IR period is over the second you submit your 75-man roster. That said, on the subject of IRing receivers, I think the practice squad is most likely for these guys. Of our 14 receivers, only Hill and Ginn don't have practice squad eligibility remaining (assuming the two practice squad "exception" spots get renewed for another year, currently that provision has expired after a 2-year trial phase); of course Ginn is likely a lock, and there's really no incentive to IR Hill given that he's a pending UFA (unless of course he actually does sustain an injury).

To go back to your example, you can see how we carefully navigated the cut to 75 while safely sending Kelvin to IR and also trading for Norwood all in a 2-day period.

09/01/2015 Injured reserve WR Kelvin Benjaminicon-article-link.gif
09/01/2015 Waived WR Jarrett Boykin
09/01/2015 Waived DT Kenny Horsley
09/01/2015 Waived S Robert Lester
09/01/2015 Acquired WR Kevin Norwoodicon-article-link.gif in trade
09/01/2015 Waived WR De'Andre Presley
09/01/2015 Waived/injury settlement DT Micanor Regis
09/01/2015 Waived/injured T Davonte Wallace
09/01/2015 Waived/injured CB Melvin White
08/31/2015 Waived WR Paul Browning
08/31/2015 Waived WR Avius Capers
08/31/2015 Released T Tony Hills
08/31/2015 Waived DE Steve Miller
08/31/2015 Waived LB Kevin Reddick
08/31/2015 Waived TE Dallas Walker
08/31/2015 Waived FB Lee Ward
08/31/2015 Waived P Matt Wile

It's important to note that the above events are first listed by date, then alphabetically by player name in the transaction. Normally that's fine, but not really indicative of how this would've had to happen. In this case the Norwood trade is out of place, though everything else would fit.

The true order would be the 8 cuts from 8-31, then the 7 from 9-1. At that point we submitted our official 75-man roster to the NFL. Then we were allowed to safely IR Kelvin; and, with the open spot created, officially/finally trade for Norwood. The Seahawks were basically waiting on us to finish so they could finally submit their own 75-man.

Then there's the quick, 4-day turnaround to the final 22 cuts to get down to 53. Of course it was 21 for us, as Miley instead went to IR. Basically once we get down to 75, you're looking at probably under 10 guys who won't be on the team in some respect (53 on roster, 10 practice squad, a few on IR).

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, iamcline said:

I wouldn't be so sure of Brown being a lock.

I know-he just seems to be one of the Rivera-type players--like Harper was--frankly, I think it would benefit the offense more if we replaced him with Byrd.