• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Rookie Camp Wrapup

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, KSpan said:

If by "make the team" you're including practice squad then yes, that seems likely. I don't see 4 UDFAs making the final 53, particularly not 2 LBs on a team that has historically only carried 5 or 6.

My comments are based on DG moving Jacobs or AJ out for picks for both Norris and Cash to make the 53-man roster. The other two are possible...

Garrett over Byrd or Bersin? Possible

Richardson over McClain or Williams or Young? Possible

Edited by CWORS

1 hour ago, CWORS said:

My comments are based on DG moving Jacobs or AJ out for picks for both Norris and Cash to make the 53-man roster. The other two are possible...

Garrett over Byrd or Bersin? Possible

Richardson over McClain or Williams or Young? Possible

Klein might be worth something but Jacobs is not and it's tough to imagine them going into the season with zero veteran depth, and the same situation applies to the CBs... Gettleman doesn't cur draft picks. Garrett, however, I could see sneaking into the 53.

As we're seeing though, anything seems to be possible these days.

Edited by KSpan
  • Pie 1

16 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Klein might be worth something but Jacobs is not and it's tough to imagine them going into the season with zero veteran depth, and the same situation applies to the CBs... Gettleman doesn't cur draft picks. Garrett, however, I could see sneaking into the 53.

As we're seeing though, anything seems to be possible these days.

I can see that!

9 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Serious answer.  From what I've read about the guy and heard other players mention in interviews, etc:

Apparently very smart.... known as "the Principal" in the locker room / meeting room, he's the one who helps Cam et al figure out if a play call is too obvious, something they've used before.

Sounds like he has the playbook memorized.  He's been a very good mentor to the rookies, especially UDFAs, since he was one himself.

Knows all the WR positions.  More or less plug & play at any of the WR positions, which makes him good depth in the case of injury.

Solid possession receiver with a history / very high percentage (albeit on limited snaps) of clutch 1st downs.  (He was one of the league leaders in 1st down % in 2014...  Again, it was limited snaps, but he could be trusted to move the chains.)

Cam likes him, has good rapport with him....

The past two years that made him a very serviceable WR #5.   Not saying he will or should make the team this year.  I understand that it doesn't look like there's much more upside for him, and he doesn't have the speed or YAC we'd like.   But in terms of backup depth, Bersin has been solid.

Can we just hire him as Asst WR coach or offensive quality control coach instead? Jerry gets to keep his wofford guy in the building, Bersin gets to keep doing what he's good at and we don't have to worry about him taking the roster spot of someone better. Win-Win-Win.

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Can we just hire him as Asst WR coach or offensive quality control coach instead? Jerry gets to keep his wofford guy in the building, Bersin gets to keep doing what he's good at and we don't have to worry about him taking the roster spot of someone better. Win-Win-Win.

Richardson doesn't decide who stays on the roster. Gettleman and Rivera do.

They cut Bersin last year and put him on the practice squad in favor of Norwood. That added him back a few weeks later and deactivated Norwood.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Richardson doesn't decide who stays on the roster. Gettleman and Rivera do.

They cut Bersin last year and put him on the practice squad in favor of Norwood. That added him back a few weeks later and deactivated Norwood.

That's gotta tell you something right there 

13 hours ago, KB_fan said:

Serious answer.  From what I've read about the guy and heard other players mention in interviews, etc:

Apparently very smart.... known as "the Principal" in the locker room / meeting room, he's the one who helps Cam et al figure out if a play call is too obvious, something they've used before.

Sounds like he has the playbook memorized.  He's been a very good mentor to the rookies, especially UDFAs, since he was one himself.

Knows all the WR positions.  More or less plug & play at any of the WR positions, which makes him good depth in the case of injury.

Solid possession receiver with a history / very high percentage (albeit on limited snaps) of clutch 1st downs.  (He was one of the league leaders in 1st down % in 2014...  Again, it was limited snaps, but he could be trusted to move the chains.)

Cam likes him, has good rapport with him....

The past two years that made him a very serviceable WR #5.   Not saying he will or should make the team this year.  I understand that it doesn't look like there's much more upside for him, and he doesn't have the speed or YAC we'd like.   But in terms of backup depth, Bersin has been solid.

First off, I pied you because you had 9 pies and mine made a whole pie. Nothing like having a whole pie.

Second, great answer. Garrett may indeed have a shot at making the active roster, but it is a long one. Bersin though, has probably no shot. He is great for what he gives you, but we need more than that. KB can be both a possession, and a deep threat. Funch has shown he can do more than we thought. Ginn Jr. can do what he does. Philly, if he could stay healthy, is quality depth. If Garrett is for real, he may be that last WR. With Byrd, and Hill, fighting to prove they belong.

So...We have the first year of true competition at WR. There truly is talent fighting for roster spots. Something folks have been clamoring for for years.

Too bad for Bersin. He truly could be a quality WR...He can do everything you want out of a WR. Except for that pesky lack of speed thingy. When you have 2 WRs he could be your 3rd. But when you have 4 or 5 fighting for a spot, he is basically outside looking in. Really hate losing a guy who knows the game so well. But sometimes, that is just how it goes.

Really could be interesting to see if he could be a coach, cuz he truly does understand the WR position. It does surprise me how many WRs don't understand the position. Getting by on athletic ability alone can only get you so far. Guys like Bersin who acutally understand that position, get left in the wake.

tl/dr version: We had the #1 Offense last year. No reason to think it won't be as lethal this year. Makes one giddy for the possibilities.

• Pie 1

Just now, carolina-chuck2 said:

What about the last how many seasons he was here? Yea 

He came in with KB and Brown. The competition for a roster spot wasn't that stiff then, and then last season we were minus KB. 

I would really like to see us keep 6 WR's. I keep hoping Hill will pan out. 6'4" with that kind of speed don't grow on trees.