• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers OTA Notes and Photos

Jeremy Igo

17 hours ago, 15 said:

Oh I completely missed the 2018 part. Why are we talking about our receiving group 2 years from now?

I was projecting the Roster in 2 years. I am sure our older receivers will be replaced with fresh and younger ones. A few of our players only got 2-3 years left.

20 hours ago, SmashNDash said:

Exactly, and KB's production had to be redistributed across the remaining recievers/Olsen.  In that environment, which would have been his best chance for most success, Brown only managed 447 yards.  While I don't think he's necessarily a bad receiver, he possess average speed, no size and no explosiveness or ability to break tackles. I would rather roll with Benji and Funch as the starting two, Garrett as our 4 and Ginn at the 3 util we can find someone who is a younger more ideal slot.  If you have that 5th spot, I rather it go to Hill who has elite speed/size and was once upon a time supposed to be the Jets #1 of the future. If he can be our 5, I think we're in good shape.

It should be an interesting preseason.

16 hours ago, mjligon said:

Fixed.

KB, Funch, Ginn

Just a little more food for thought.  Here is something that was recently said by Rivera that I believe further demonstrates who the locks are.

“The one thing I’m hoping for, too, is that he continues to develop that rapport. He’s got a great feel with Greg Olsen; he’s got a great feel with Teddy Ginn. He’s developing that with Devin Funchess, and again with Kelvin [Benjamin] back here, it will be great to see him work with Kelvin.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/25/ron-rivera-on-cam-newton-comments-im-not-putting-anybody-on-blast/

Now, knowing how Rivera does things (and kinda makes up his mind), I think it will take something drastic to fall out of favor. Regardless of that, it's a little difficult to actually substitute for chemistry between a QB and receiver.

You want to keep Cam happy and comfortable.

If Hill, Byrd, Garrett, or someone else wants to make the team over Brown, they are going to have to beat him out.  But it is abundantly clear from everything Rivera has said that KB, Funch, and Ginn are locks, and thus, our #1-3 receivers.  So, that means barring an injury, that Brown is no better than #4 on the depth chart.  And I don't care how much you like Brown, a #4 is not untouchable...but he's also not in danger of losing his spot without someone giving him a good hard push.

And you can't simply dismiss Hill based on his past drop problem.   Jeremy has said that the team really likes him, so if he does come out showing an improved ability to catch the ball, he'll likely push Brown to #5 since he has physical skills Brown can only dream about. If that were to happen, Brown, Garrett, Bersin, and Byrd would be competing for 1-2 spots, depending on whether they keep 5 or 6 receivers. 

So, the chances are that Brown does make the team, but it is far from a certainty.  Since the 5th and 6th receivers usually do not dress, the end of the WR core would likely come down to who the team feels has the brighter future.      

• Pie 1