• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016/17 Carolina Hurricanes

RealBitsOfPanther

The NHL has released the 2017 NHL Draft Order

If you would like to see how a good GM operates, look below to see Ronnie Francis' work:

List of Picks

Round 1 (Pick 12):

Round 2 (Pick 42):

Round 2 (Pick 52): This pick was acquired when Ron Francis traded Eric Staal to the New York Rangers for Aleksi Saarela (Charlotte Checkers) and this pick. 

Round 2 (Pick 62): Trevor Van Riemsdyk - Ron Francis traded Ron Hainsey to Pittsburgh for Danny Kristo (Charlotte Checkers) and this pick, Carolina then flipped pick 62 to Las Vegas for Trevor Van Riemsdyk and a 2018 7th round draft pick.

Round 3 (Pick 67): This pick was acquired when the Hurricanes traded Tuomo Ruutu to New Jersey for former Cane Andrei Loktionov and this pick.

Round 3 (Pick 73):

Round 3 (Pick 88): Teuvo Teravainen - Carolina initially acquired this pick in a trade that sent Dennis Robertson, Jake Massie, and a 2017th 5th round pick to Chicago for former Cane Kris Versteeg, Joakim Nordstrom, and this pick. Chicago reacquired this pick when they traded Teuvo Teravainen and Bryan Bickell to Carolina for the New York Rangers 2016 2nd round pick and this pick. Chicago then flipped this pick to Detroit (the current owner of the pick) for Tomas Jurco.

Round 3 (Pick 90): Scott Darling - Carolina initially acquired this pick when they traded Viktor Stalberg to Ottawa. Carolina then flipped this pick to Chicago for the rights of Scott Darling, who they eventually signed to a new contract.

Round 4 (Pick 104):

Round 5 (Pick 135): Joakim Nordstrom - Carolina traded away this pick as well as Dennis Robertson and Jake Massie for Joakim Nordstrom, former Cane: Kris Versteeg and the aforementioned 2017 3rd round pick that Carolina turned into Teuvo Teravainen.

Round 5 (Pick 152): Expansion Draft Consideration – Carolina originally acquired this pick in a trade with Boston when they sent John-Michael Liles to the Bruins for former Checker: Anthony Camara, a 2016 3rd round pick, and this pick. Carolina then flipped this pick to Las Vegas along with Charlotte Checker: Connor Brickley for Expansion Draft Consideration. Ultimately, it is believed that this 5th rounder allowed Carolina to keep Lee Stempniak.

Round 6 (Pick 166):

Round 7 (Pick 197):

One thing you will see is that each player acquired was directly or indirectly a member of the Chicago Blackhawks.

4 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Well Hainsey was moved earlier in the year to Pittsburgh for that pick. I was just showing the chronological order of how we ended up with TVR.

I expect are defense to be set.

Slavin - Pesce

Hanifin - Faulk

Fleury - TVR

Dahlbeck

McKeown, Carrick, and Murphy could see time due to injuries.

Yeah, slipped my mind because I blacked out mentally since March. lol. I expect Fleury to move up to the 2nd pairing eventually with either Faulk or Hanifin pairing with TVR, just to balance that last pairing out. I don't think TVR with Fleury would be a good idea, just having seen Fleury play. But then again, I could be wrong.

21 minutes ago, lightsout said:

Yeah, slipped my mind because I blacked out mentally since March. lol. I expect Fleury to move up to the 2nd pairing eventually with either Faulk or Hanifin pairing with TVR, just to balance that last pairing out. I don't think TVR with Fleury would be a good idea, just having seen Fleury play. But then again, I could be wrong.

Could you provide some Intel on Fleury. Literally no videos whatsoever on him as a Checker.

46 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Could you provide some Intel on Fleury. Literally no videos whatsoever on him as a Checker.

Skates hard when he's out there. Not a "stand and watch" defenseman. Likes to move a lot in the offensive zone, always looking to stay open for passes either up the boards from the corners or fading in to the high slot for the one timer. Is disciplined though and picks his spots. Has a good shot and knows it, which is good. Will let a guy get by him, but is fast enough usually to make up for it. This is where I think he'll need to be with somebody who can manage a streaking forward alone for a few seconds while Fleury catches up.

Defensively, he's not a liability like Murphy is, but he isn't a physical presence as of yet. 6'3" frame and the programs say he's just over 200 lbs, but he looks closer to 190, IMO. But being young, he'll put on size quick and could easily get to that 210-215 mark without sacrificing his skating quickness. Very good in the corners fighting for pucks and his breakouts are crisp and decisive. Will turn it over with a heavy forecheck though. Again, young. His mistakes are few and far between, in the Checkers games I have been to, but they are usually pretty big "uh oh" moments. Gives up net front at times because again, he likes to move. He likes to go after pucks and pressure guys down low to get the puck out quickly. His biggest strength is probably his biggest detriment, you could say. Goal tending and strong center play compensated for these chances more often than not, and you could argue that it really wasn't a problem, but it is something to look at when considering how that could effect the Canes game-to-game, given our goaltending. He'll have to have a little more presence of mind and situational awareness at the NHL level, but with guys like Slavin, Pesce, and Faulk to learn from, he'll be just fine.

EDIT: Defensively, he's solid. Don't get me wrong there. Not afraid to be physical. But never saw him really run anybody in Charlotte. Got physical, but never overpowered anybody. He's going to be good for us, but he will be like Hanifin. Time and reps are going to make him great, but it will take time.

1 hour ago, MillionDollarCam said:

The 2017-18 schedule was released yesterday. Either we don't have any nationally televised games this year or those have not been decided yet.

Those generally aren't set until August or so. No way of really telling the games that will be worth being nationally televised beyond the basic rivalries that are big draws anyway (Pens vs Caps, for example) until after all the roster moves get settled and coverage of practices and preseason games start giving everybody an idea of where teams are talent wise. I expect us to get at least a few NBC games, because our division has too many big draws for us to get completely shut out of national games.

Not Canes related but some pretty big trades went down today.

Columbus Acquires: Artemi Panarin, Tyler Motte, 2017 6th round pick

Chicago Acquires: Brandon Saad, Anton Forsberg, 2018 5th round pick

The Coyotes made a couple big trades as well.

First-

Phoenix Acquires: Niklas Hjalmarsson

Chicago Acquires: Connor Murphey and Laurent Dauphin

Second-

Phoenix Acquires: Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta

New York Acquires: 7th overall pick in the 2017 Draft and Anthony DeAngelo.

Francis mentioned in the post-draft interview that they are still evaluating potential trades. 

He stated that they got their d-man, they got their goalie, and are look to add top six help.

This is just my projection but I see us with two open roster spots

Aho - Staal - Lindholm

??? - Rask - Teraveinen

Skinner - ??? - Stempniak

Nordstrom - Wallmark - McGinn

Di Guiseppe

Slavin - Pesce

Fleury - Faulk

Hanfin - Van Riemsdyk

Darling

Ward

The Canes can address that open left wing spot in a trade tomorrow and then add a third line center in free agency, potentially someone like Sam Gagner or Nick Bonino.

Archived