• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Possible MLS Team In Carolina

OldNorthPowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems that they are going to add four more very soon.   NC has two of ten possible bids, I also heard Cincinnati, Sacramento, San Diego, San Antonio, St Louis, and Tampa 

Several things I have heard all seem to feel that Sacramento would definitely be one of the four.   Good luck to y'all 

1 hour ago, Goondal said:

Seems that they are going to add four more very soon.   NC has two of ten possible bids, I also heard Cincinnati, Sacramento, San Diego, San Antonio, St Louis, and Tampa 

Several things I have heard all seem to feel that Sacramento would definitely be one of the four.   Good luck to y'all 

Thanks!  We got European championship games lately and we had an amazing attendance.  50k-60k for the past 3 years. I had a feeling it was a test to see how we do for MLS and possible FIFA games and we did great but people are just not interested in local little club team, Independence....  I mean, I practice on next field with them in Ramblewood park and I play for Coed recreational team...

The key competition is probably Raleigh.  I cannot imagine NC getting two teams, at the same point I cannot imagine them not getting any.

Tampa is one of those throwing their hats in the ring, but I cannot understand their argument.  Already had and lost a team.  Orlando just opened and they have Miami planned, so do they really need a Tampa team.  Really, unless you go to downtown St. Pete, and to the exact right spot, nobody knows the Rowdies exist.  There are maybe two actual soccer bars in the whole damn area.  

Breaking: Proposal in place to demolish Memorial Stadium and build a brand spanking new MLS stadium instead.  Both City and County would have to pay $50 million each. IF City and County give a green light, MLS team will be pretty much guaranteed to Charlotte.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 0:38 PM, ARSEN said:

Breaking: Proposal in place to demolish Memorial Stadium and build a brand spanking new MLS stadium instead.  Both City and County would have to pay $50 million each. IF City and County give a green light, MLS team will be pretty much guaranteed to Charlotte.

It's looking like the City is going to vote NO on this one.

If Raleigh lands a team, I would expect to see Charlotte Independence fold. Their ownership plan has always been for MLS, and with that off the table, what's the point? It might be different if they had a decent place to play. But they don't.

22 hours ago, djp14 said:

It's looking like the City is going to vote NO on this one.

If Raleigh lands a team, I would expect to see Charlotte Independence fold. Their ownership plan has always been for MLS, and with that off the table, what's the point? It might be different if they had a decent place to play. But they don't.

Breaking: Mecklenburg County approved plans for MLS plan!  City public forum is this Friday.  Good chance MLS is coming to Charlotte.

It's been cancelled because it doesn't have the votes to pass. Expansion application deadline is this Tuesday. Since the County voted YES, Bruton can still proceed ... if he ponies up the $44 million the City would've contributed. If not, this is dead.

1 hour ago, djp14 said:

It's been cancelled because it doesn't have the votes to pass. Expansion application deadline is this Tuesday. Since the County voted YES, Bruton can still proceed ... if he ponies up the $44 million the City would've contributed. If not, this is dead.

Yep, time will tell.

Archived