• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mecklenburg County BOC approves new MLS Stadium/CCC Fugs it up/1/30-bid still ON despite CCC

Nails

1 minute ago, Casto said:

There are quite a few.. uh.. soccer oriented people in Charlotte. One of the largest demographics here, actually. 

With 15 million people in the Carolinas, there's zero reason, in 2017, that the Carolinas aren't represented in all 4 major sports, and MLS.

I'm all for this. It's buying in at a time when it's not the most popular, but will be in another decade. The buy-in for Charlotte now will be waaaaay less than it will be in the future, and there will be a backing. It's not like you're trying to fill a 40 or 50,000 seat stadium. 

My biggest question is how hot it's going to be in the stands in the summer months. Near 100-degree days, only cool off to 80+ at night with a serious amount of humidity.  That would be my biggest fear. Then again, there are teams in Houston, Orlando, DC and Atlanta, so I guess it works. 

MLS > MiLB and we put up the dough for a new stadium, so can't complain on this. I wonder if the Hounds will play at the new MLS stadium or if they move elsewhere.  Seems like there's going to be bad blood between Bruton's firm and the Independce/Hounds owner.

Yeah, I've always wondered why the Carolinas don't have a MLB team. The Knights have been around for years with decent success, I believe , so I would think a MLB team here would do fairly well. I mean hell, we have a NHL hockey team of all things so why not a baseball team.

Just now, OldNorthPowell said:

Raleigh tends to support Soccer and Hockey more but I could be wrong. I do not live in either city. Plus NCFC is already making a push to bring a team to Raleigh and MLS seems interested.

As well they should be.  The Carolinas are a gold mine.

8 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I'd prefer not to have my taxes jump up for this, especially when they couldn't find the money to fund the fuging schools in the area but a big ass stadium for a soccer team is alright.

It was not coming from the general fund (but rather, hotel/motel tax), is a relatively small amount, and they had the chance to be the only entity in the region (unlike minor league baseball where there are already countless teams in the region and which they APPROVED).  No tourists $$$ now.  Utterly moronic.

Archived