• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Star Trek: Discovery

d-dave

7 hours ago, outlaw4 said:

L'Rell and the admiral screaming was hilarious. The subsequent dialogue was not quite what I was expecting and I mean that in a good way.

- So is the admiral actually dead, did she escape or what? I'm utterly confused what the deal is here.

- I really hope that Tyler isn't a straight up traitor angle because it doesn't reconcile with what we've seen. My final prediction is that Voq's consciousness is somehow inside the real Ash Tyler. The initial plan may have been to be a double agent of sorts but the process may have been too much for Voq. He can't deal with what he's become and if the plan is still active, it's on shaky ground. 

I will say, the interrogation sequence was a nice turn.  I get that she's really mad and wants revenge against the Big Bad Klingon, but she did get her face busted up in the escape with Lorca and Tyler.  I kind of hope that the admiral isn't actually dead.  Seeing the torn up bodies of the other Klingons was gross, but poignant.  There's a lot more to that story angle, and I want that.  My hope is that they are dragging our Interrogator to the room where the admiral is, but she's not dead, and she helps her escape.  Having the admiral back, and a Klingon defector would put some real pressure on the Discovery's mission.

If Tyler had Voq's personality imprinted, that would be interesting to a degree.  But at the same time, how did Tyler pass any kind of tests they have to give to someone who's been in captivity too long?  How would Voq come out?  Will Tyler be used to end Big Bad Klingon's reign, and somehow win the war for the Empire over the Federation?  Seems like Voq would be in a really tough spot.  I would think that Voq might become part of Tyler's personality, and when Tyler runs into people from his past, they can talk about how much he's changed.

I'm still really excited for future episodes, but I think this is the end of season 1.  I am really looking forward to season 2, I just hope they are able to better connect the stories together.  There's SO MUCH potential here!

2 hours ago, Zaximus said:

It's just the fall break, it'll be back in Jan.    Season 2 already green-lit as well.   

Sweet, I'm glad for more!  

I'm also stoked to see both this and the Oreville get second seasons.  Maybe we're back to dreaming about space, the future, and being the best humans we can be?  Maybe these are those shows, but anything is better than yet another crappy reality show or cop drama!

On 11/8/2017 at 1:23 AM, outlaw4 said:

So we can have nice looking ships like the USS Gagarin but they gave us USS Discovery as the lead ship? Why?

a friend of mine actually did the design and nomenclature work for the ships on Discovery. Talk about not able to make anyone happy - he is one of the foremost Trek designers and has a keen grasp of aviation history, and can work with network suits OK, but in the end what the money people want the money people get, and Discovery is a ship that fits the screen format well, has motion built into the ship (like Voyagers warp nacelle move which was a last minute producer request) and is different enough from the other ships to be immediately recognizable on screen with other ships present.

Someone did this nice graphic and John said it was all correct so you Trek nerds enjoy.

STD.jpg

On 11/9/2017 at 5:32 AM, cookinwithgas said:

a friend of mine actually did the design and nomenclature work for the ships on Discovery. Talk about not able to make anyone happy - he is one of the foremost Trek designers and has a keen grasp of aviation history, and can work with network suits OK, but in the end what the money people want the money people get, and Discovery is a ship that fits the screen format well, has motion built into the ship (like Voyagers warp nacelle move which was a last minute producer request) and is different enough from the other ships to be immediately recognizable on screen with other ships present.

Someone did this nice graphic and John said it was all correct so you Trek nerds enjoy.

STD.jpg

Money people really should use that money for new eyes or simply give designers more leeway. The Discovery's saucer is something I could live with but with a different secondary hull. It's far too bulky and too flat, as though someone took the Excelsior model and stepped over it.

What I am curious is how the Constitution class looks in Discovery. If they claim this is the Prime universe, it can't be like Enterprise in the Abrahms movies. I find it hard to believe that we won't see it at all in the series. 

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

So if tonight was the fall finale what is the start back day in the spring?

January 2018 according to the trailer at the end of tonight's episode.

I'll give my thoughts on the fall finale and the series so far later but in short, I will keep watching. There is a lot of improvements needed, however.

The interesting thing to me is that as the shows have progressed, they've become more in line of how Star Trek as a show has worked all these years, but with more complex characters and situations. Almost like the Orville.

Transporters are still odd, you can forget beaming the Klingon knife with you, but if a Klingon jumps on your back, she's coming for the ride

I've really enjoyed this show.    I think it's been far better than what I thought it would be.    When my biggest gripe is the Klingons, you realize it's a pretty good show.  

The cliffhanger has theories out that Lorca is from mirror universe, collecting all that data throughout season to get back to where he needs to go, or we've just reached mirror universe, one or the other.   

About that fall finale:

- Kinda weird for Lorca to object to Michael going onto the Klingon ship

- The whole "ship working together as one" deal didn't quite work for me because, you know, most of those faces on the bridge are just that.

- Tilly unintentionally revealing more than what Dr Culber knew was hilarious.

- Of course Tyler was going to run into L'Rell. Everything else was rather... jarring. At this juncture, it's hard to see how there isn't a connection between Tyler and Voq but the how is still up in the air. 

- The solution to figure out the cloak is pretty much what I would expect from Star Trek, for better or worse, down to the massive sensors that no one somehow spotted.

- Kol, we hardly knew thee. 

- How many things got wrapped up nice and tidy (Tyler/L'Rell, getting back admiral, Michael's redemption, destroying Ship of the dead right as Michael/Tyler reaches the bridge) annoyed me. In fact, many things lined up too well for plot convenience throughout the series so far and that's one of my pet peeves.

- One more jump? Oh, geez. I wonder what's going to happen.

- The final tease confused me more than enticed me. They're someone I can't even identify even though I'm certain it's some alternate universe (mirror or maybe Discovery was never in the Prime timeline until now) or at a different time. I also believe that Lorca knows exactly where they are and he's just playing dumb.

Whatever direction Discovery heads off into, everything I've seen so far is interesting enough to stay on board. Considering how all Trek series other than the original struggled with their first seasons, it has potential to reach a high ceiling.

• 1 month later...

Didn't even realize Discovery was back until an hour before it started up again. Need to watch it a second time but the episode had my attention all the way through and salvaged an otherwise bad Sunday. Still has its flaws but definitely had that sense that this was a much more polished product. 

Archived