• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Last play of the game (not Panthers related per say)

Jbro

Hi, I am Jbro and have a question...

On the last play of the game, why not give it to your fastest player and run backwards?

I have been saving my first thread started in years for something hard hitting and I believe this topic is it. 

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I thought they would but if someone forced a fumble we would be moving towards their goal. 

Yes, BUT you run backwards and then throw a deep bomb out of bounds instead of Cam giving them a chance to have a Hail Mary 

All this is quite well and good. But....the play worked. atl did not get the ball back did they? No. No reason to find a better way, when the first way worked.

And I am sorry for this. But really. People were worried about a Hail Mary from inside the 10? C'mon Man.

12 minutes ago, Jbro said:

Yes, BUT you run backwards and then throw a deep bomb out of bounds instead of Cam giving them a chance to have a Hail Mary 

You have to get it back to the line of scrimmage or it is a penalty. Running towards the other teams goal line is never an option unless you want to be known for one of the most boneheaded plays of all time.

I think chaos pretty much has it right. You don't want to risk a fumble especially when running backwards since then you don't have any additional of your own guys to cover up the fumble. A fumble in that situation could lead to a TD for the other team and since was a 3 point game a lose for us. I think what we did was the right play call but damn do our guys need to learn how to block.

34 minutes ago, Jbro said:

Hi, I am Jbro and have a question...

On the last play of the game, why not give it to your fastest player and run backwards?

I have been saving my first thread started in years for something hard hitting and I believe this topic is it. 

Because then you are risking a turnover/fumble moving TOWARD your opponents end zone.

29 minutes ago, Jbro said:

You realize that "deep bomb" would be thrown under heavy pressure, correct?  And that it would 1. have to be outside the tackle box and 2. thrown pass the line of scrimmage or it would be intentional grounding, correct?

Now, I'm not sure if the game could end on an intentional grounding on 4th down or not.  That is a twist of the rules I've never thought about.

Archived