• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Last Jedi *Spoilers*

Darth Biscuit

1 hour ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

You’re right, everyone doesn’t love everything. In TLJ’s case 50% of the audience didn’t like it. Half of all people didn’t like it and it bombed so bad in China they pulled it after three weeks. 

You personally don’t get why someone people don’t like the movie. Don’t use that as justification for telling people that Star Wars isn’t for them any more because you personally can’t understand why they noticed flaws and you are willing to over look them. 

Rey is a Mary Sue. That’s a text book mistake on how not to write a character. Kylo is a mental child with anger issues. Finn seems all over the place like he can never actually make up his mind about something and when he finally does he gets stopped Jar Jar.. I mean rose. 

Poe is the only character from the new movies who is actually worth a damn and they poo on him through out the whole movie. 

I would cut canto bight completely. It served no purpose in the actual story and was only used as a plot device for rian Johnson. The entire second act of a movie shouldn’t be a plot device. I would rewrite Luke’s character to make him more consistent with the Luke from the OT. I would make Rey’s parents actually matter to the story but also have her struggle with training for some of the film as it will show she isn’t a Mary Sue character and everything doesn’t come easy to her. I would explore snokes back story with him and kylo in scenes with scenes just themselves. Showing how Menancing and strong of a force user he is torturing kylo building up his fear and anger in the dark side but I’d keep that force connection with him and Rey as that played well in the movie. Id have snoke and kylo vs Luke and Rey. While snoke and Luke duel it out kylo and Rey realize they have more in common than differences and the conflict builds in kylo. 

Snoke would kill luke showing him as the big bad of the new trilogy. Kylo seeing his uncle and former master cut down would turn sides and fight with Rey. They would escape and be on a team, light and dark to take down snoke in the 9th movie. 

I also would give ackbar the role of that purple haired lady. Ackbar actually is a previous character so giving him something heroic would be better served than giving him a throw away death and creating a new character simply for being heroic. 

Cut the Mary poppins scene. 

Cut the Luke milking the sea monster scene

there was a lot that could have been handled better that simply wasn’t due to poor writing and taking the franchise in a bad direction. 

You're taking all of this entirely TOO seriously. It's just a movie franchise. 

The idea of having Snoke kill Luke isn't bad, so I won't poo on you for that, but it basically rips off Luke seeing Obi Wan cut down by Vader. I like Rian Johnson's work, including most of what he did in Last Jedi. Every movie has its flaws. I guess I'm with the other 50% that did like the movie. 

39 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

You're taking all of this entirely TOO seriously. It's just a movie franchise. 

The idea of having Snoke kill Luke isn't bad, so I won't poo on you for that, but it basically rips off Luke seeing Obi Wan cut down by Vader. I like Rian Johnson's work, including most of what he did in Last Jedi. Every movie has its flaws. I guess I'm with the other 50% that did like the movie. 

You could make that argument for like the fast and furious franchise were it makes money but it doesn’t really mean much to people.

star wars is completely different. Star Wars I would argue is the illiad/odyssey, fair tale stories of our time. They are passed from generation to generation. My father grew up with the OT and he handed them down to me. Someone of my best memories of my childhood involve Star Wars. Star Wars is like that for millions of people. It’s an important part of who they are and to mess with that and to not stay true to something so beloved rubs a lot of people the wrong way. 

Its great they want to bring new people into the fandom. They should be doing that. But “killing the past” to usher in new stuff will end up killing the property altogether.

as for ripping off the Vader vs obi wan it would pay homage to the Vader vs obi wan fight but will go further than what that fight was. It would give Luke a chance to be a bad ass again and the audience could see how better of a master he has gotten between all this time and it show how strong snoke is. It would be a huge action set piece. It would also give a similar feeling to the end of empire. Like the bad guy won. 

Kylo and rey coming together at the end of 9 for one to be a light side master and dark side for the other. It would truly bring balance to the force it would have gone well with the speech Luke gave to Rey about not being able to have one with out the other. You need to death to have life. How they would teach the students both. That’s what I thought they were going with the name The Last Jedi. That the terms Jedi and sith needed to die because it’s a constant cycle and the force is never really balanced. But having both and not excluding one from the other would create a stronger force user because they weren’t limited. 

Just a shame they squandered a big opportunity to progress the story 

I thought it was just ok when I walked out of the theater. Upon further review and the after glow effect from seeing the movie it has major flaws. 

I think the the funniest part is that there are people who won’t even acknowledge that it has flaws. Almost like they want it to be a good movie so bad they have to come up with crazy explanations why the second act of the movie wasn’t a completely waste 

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the movie, there is definitely a disconnect in the writing and story-telling which came from have two separate directors on the past two films. But I am pretty stoked that JJ gets to direct the 3rd, 9th overall, film so hopefully he can tie up some ends that he started in TFA.

What I am the more stoked about are the Benioff and Weiss doing the next trilogy of Star Wars movies. These are the guys who have written the GoT series for HBO. I really want the next trilogy to go further into the future and hopefully just start fresh with completely new characters and story. Or heck even go back thousands of years in the past and show the time when the Republic and the Sith Empire were at war, like in the KOTOR games. 

Archived