• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Haunting of Hill House

Pejorative Miscreant

On 10/22/2018 at 3:51 PM, Cary Kollins said:

So about that ending....

I’d like to rewatch the series to see how it all connects but first impression is the ending sorta feels like a cop out. Like, the ghosts are all of a sudden happily ever after? What about all that fugged up poo we just witnesssd for nine episodes? It just doesn’t vibe right to have such a heart warming ending imo. Appparently the original plan was for the end to show all the children together and happy outside of the house, only for the camera to reveal the “red room” window, meaning they are still in that room in some sense. But the writer/director decided the night before filming that he liked these characters too much to put them through that hell.

I think that would have been an interesting open-ended ending and more fitting to the series as a whole. Oh well, it wasn’t a terrible ending. It’ll be interesting to see if the next season is based on an entirely new house and characters.

Ending did feel like a cop out for sure. I kind of feel like horror movies should almost never have a happy ending. All of the ghosts are in harmony, Hugh joins his wife, they show flash forwards of everyone celebrating together. WTH. I kept waiting for some F-Ed up turn of events but nope. 

I would still put this up into probably a top 2 as far as horror series goes (not a lot of them out there!). I’d have to rewatch AHS S1 to see which of these shows is a clear #1. 

Would recommend for sure

7 hours ago, Shocker said:

There are apparently a ton of hidden ghosts.  Rewatching myself.

yeah, they are all over the place.

Just finished the show, and to me it feels like a giant family therapy session with ghosts to keep the viewer interested.

$100 an hour in Hill House should be the title.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, lightsout said:

I thought the ending was all but perfect. 

Ended like a Hallmark movie of the week. Should have left a subtle hint that they're all still trapped in the Red Room and hallucinationated all of this. Similar to Stephen King's 1408. Would have been the better ending unless they plan on using these characters for something else in season 2. (If there is one.)

23 hours ago, Dex said:

Ended like a Hallmark movie of the week. Should have left a subtle hint that they're all still trapped in the Red Room and hallucinationated all of this. Similar to Stephen King's 1408. Would have been the better ending unless they plan on using these characters for something else in season 2. (If there is one.)

There was a hint.

51 minutes ago, Dex said:

Still doesn't change the tone of the finale and melodramatic garbage with the voice over but please share with the class. 

When the kids were in the red room, during all their visits there, there was always something red in the middle of everything.     At the end, the cake was red and stood out, when they were all hanging out and celebrating with the "clean" brother.    I wouldn't have minded a grim ending but with that I think it's sort of open ended.

12 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

When the kids were in the red room, during all their visits there, there was always something red in the middle of everything.     At the end, the cake was red and stood out, when they were all hanging out and celebrating with the "clean" brother.    I wouldn't have minded a grim ending but with that I think it's sort of open ended.

I'll have to go back and look. Still wasn't a fan of the episode's feel and how all these ghosts are "happy" in an evil house. But thanks for pointing that out.

Archived