• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fantasy Series Fans

Cdw

On 1/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, Bronn said:

Glad you liked it! I had to go back and wiki some of it because I couldn't remember some of the details.

I do remember thinking that the Falconer is one of the coolest villains I've read. The whole Bondsmagi angle is more of a thing in book 3 IIRC, but it comes in a little in book 2 as well.

Book 3 reminded me more of something political like GoT, so that might be more your cup of tea, too.

Once you get through all three, though, you're stuck like the rest of us waiting for The Thorn of Emberlain!

Took a little break, but I'm starting Red Seas Under Red Skies now.  From the opening chapter I feel like I'm about to read Oceans 11 set in Atlantis, should be interesting. 

I figured the guild of Bondsmagi were going to be a significant factor going forward.  Don't think they'll appreciate the treatment the Falconer recieved.

I just finished the first Mistborn book last week.  I thought it was well written, but a little thin.  It felt like Dune lite.  The characters were engaging, though, and I'll likely continue with it.  Starting with Kingkiller book one today.

I've finished the first 2 Age books by Michael J Sullivan.  They are very good.  They are a prequel to his Riyria series, which I liked better.  I have read all of those, and they are a lot of fun.  Not going to give you deep insight into the ways of the universe, but very entertaining.  The Age series happens thousands of years before Riyria, so it doesn't matter which you read first.  Having read Riyira first, I can see him setting up certain elements in those books.

I have also finished the first 3 books in the Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour.  They are fantastic, can't recommend them highly enough.

Gentlemen bastards are on my list, so good to see confirmation that its good. 

1 hour ago, Mother Grabber said:

I just finished the first Mistborn book last week.  I thought it was well written, but a little thin.  It felt like Dune lite.  The characters were engaging, though, and I'll likely continue with it.  Starting with Kingkiller book one today.

I've finished the first 2 Age books by Michael J Sullivan.  They are very good.  They are a prequel to his Riyria series, which I liked better.  I have read all of those, and they are a lot of fun.  Not going to give you deep insight into the ways of the universe, but very entertaining.  The Age series happens thousands of years before Riyria, so it doesn't matter which you read first.  Having read Riyira first, I can see him setting up certain elements in those books.

I have also finished the first 3 books in the Spellmonger series by Terry Mancour.  They are fantastic, can't recommend them highly enough.

I'm planning on reading either Mistborn or Stormlight once I finish with the Bastards and then on to King Killer since its been on my list a while.  Let us know how you like Kingkiller once youre into it.

So many books on my list, I need to get another kindle.

7 hours ago, Mother Grabber said:

I hadn't even heard of Mancour, so I will add those to my list!

I finished Age of War by Michael J. Sullivan and have switched over to the 4 book in the Millenium series, The Girl in the Spider's Web. Those books are good, too, if you're into crime/mystery/suspense. The movies are pretty good too, both the foreign and the American versions IMHO. Haven't seen the newest movie based on this book I'm currently reading, though.

Sullivan is really growing on me, though. He writes very strong female characters, but I like what he does with his other characters as well. Riyria is on my list, too, thanks to these books.

Let us know what you think about Kingkiller. I've been actually thinking about going back and re-reading both of Rothfuss' books. I really like how he deals with "magic" in his world. Everything else is great, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Currently reading Stormlight book 3  and waiting for James Islingtons  3rd book of the Licanius Trilogy ( Imo LT is WoT light in 3 books instead of 14 but no where near the depth of WoT and speaking of WoT....

Wheel of Time is a must for me.  I do get the hate for the slow books (7-9)but 1-5 and a major scene from 6 are great  and the story really gets back on track in books 10-14.    The world is built better than most by far.

Also Amazon is developing a WoT TV series in the vein of GoT, but it will probably be no where near as dark as GoT

Little warning about the KKC's...... its been like 7 years since book 2?  is there an end in sight?

5 minutes ago, TbTeRRoR said:

Little warning about the KKC's...... its been like 7 years since book 2?  is there an end in sight?

It is becoming a meme at this point with Fantasy authors.

Both Lynch and Rothfuss have fallen into Martin territory here.

I've really enjoyed Michael Sullivan's Legend of the Fist Empire series so far and, unlike all those others, he basically has all the books finished and publishing dates already scheduled for all of them. I don't think any of them have been pushed back for any major reason or period. It really is refreshing not to have to wait so long.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:56 PM, Cdw said:

I'm planning on reading either Mistborn or Stormlight once I finish with the Bastards and then on to King Killer since its been on my list a while.  Let us know how you like Kingkiller once youre into it.

So many books on my list, I need to get another kindle.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:05 PM, Bronn said:

Let us know what you think about Kingkiller. I've been actually thinking about going back and re-reading both of Rothfuss' books. I really like how he deals with "magic" in his world. Everything else is great, too.

I was really into the beginning of the first Kingkiller book.  The lead-in was fantastic, and had me thinking old school epic, like the Iliad or Beowulf.  I was excited to get something like episodes IV-VI, but the main story ended up being more like I-III.  About half way through I felt like I was hearing fantasy Wesley Crusher give his life story.  It makes sense, given the overall story, but I got a little tired of teenagers doing teenager things.

The author is extremely good, and I'm still hopeful I'll get IV-VI in the next book.  Book 1 is 600ppg, and book 2 is 1000, so it's a commitment.  I'll do the first Bastards book before I dive into book 2.  I guess there's no hurry, since book three is behind schedule.

On 2/20/2019 at 2:16 PM, TbTeRRoR said:

Currently reading Stormlight book 3  and waiting for James Islingtons  3rd book of the Licanius Trilogy ( Imo LT is WoT light in 3 books instead of 14 but no where near the depth of WoT and speaking of WoT....

Wheel of Time is a must for me.  I do get the hate for the slow books (7-9)but 1-5 and a major scene from 6 are great  and the story really gets back on track in books 10-14.    The world is built better than most by far.

Also Amazon is developing a WoT TV series in the vein of GoT, but it will probably be no where near as dark as GoT

Oathbringer felt like the best book in the trilogy for me and I've loved all three  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 8:05 AM, Mother Grabber said:

I got a little tired of teenagers doing teenager things. 

That happened for me reading Realm of the Elderlings books, got insufferable at times, but that got better in the second trillogy.  Im still looking forward to KKC.  Been busy lately so my reading time has been cut quite a bit, still on Red Seas and still enjoying it.

• 1 month later...

So, are any of you ASoIaF readers and not watchers of GoT?  I've had an easy time avoiding any spoilers the past few years, but this season seems like its gonna be a struggle... just random thought of the day

Archived