• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fantasy Series Fans

Cdw

On 3/16/2020 at 11:04 AM, Captroop said:

It's so funny you say that because I just finished LOLL and that was my exact complaint about that book. I was really enjoying the first half when I thought it was going to go in a completely different direction. I was totally okay with it being "The Sting," set in a fantasy world, with the Bastards pulling elaborate cons on fantasy universe barons and dukes while navigating the dangers and pitfalls of the underbelly of the society of Camorr. I was excited to read that book! And then it just completely shifted gears more than half way through and became a by-the-numbers revenge story. (With a baffling, mind-numbingly long sequence in the middle to steal someone's clothes.)

I enjoyed the story-telling, and like the characters. But if you're telling me the second book does the exact same thing, I think I'm done with the series.

Anyway, I'll need a lot more reading material over the next few months, so yeah. Any recommendations?

If you felt that way about the first book, then unfortunately the next one might not be up your alley as the mid book direction switch is imo quite a bit more pronounced than in LoLL.  I still thought both books were great, but that gear shift is definitely tough to get through.   Of the awesome list Bronn put up, I have only read The First Law trillogy and really liked it, has some really interesting characters.  King Killer Ch. is one I want to get into eventually too.

The trouble with some of those that I listed are that they are unfinished. Lynch, Rothfuss, and GRRM really need to figure that out.

Sullivan is like polar opposite. He says when he is going to put his books out and, for the most part, he sticks to it.

Howey has pretty much retired and is sailing around the world thanks to his independent publisher success. But all his good stuff is out there.

IIRC Abercrombie re-opened the world of the First Law trilogy, but I might be wrong. But the trilogy is a complete story.

Mieville's Bas Lag books are independent/same world stories that don't intertwine.

I really enjoyed Rogues, if you want to start there. It kind of gives you some dabbling in a few different genres and authors, and each story is a really quick read.

54 minutes ago, Bronn said:

The trouble with some of those that I listed are that they are unfinished. Lynch, Rothfuss, and GRRM really need to figure that out.

Sullivan is like polar opposite. He says when he is going to put his books out and, for the most part, he sticks to it.

Howey has pretty much retired and is sailing around the world thanks to his independent publisher success. But all his good stuff is out there.

IIRC Abercrombie re-opened the world of the First Law trilogy, but I might be wrong. But the trilogy is a complete story.

Mieville's Bas Lag books are independent/same world stories that don't intertwine.

I really enjoyed Rogues, if you want to start there. It kind of gives you some dabbling in a few different genres and authors, and each story is a really quick read.

Not sure about Lynch or Rothfuss, but I don't see GRRM ever finishing, its a shame.   Crazy to think I didn't get into ASoIaF until watching s1 of GoT and now I've been waiting on WoW for near a decade.  It does make you hesitant to start any series that isn't finished.

First Law has a couple books set in the same universe, I haven't read them though and Abercrombie did announce a while back that he's doing another trillogy in that universe.

17 minutes ago, Captroop said:

Also @Crixtala because I've seen you mention Lightbringer before. ^^^

haven't gotten to black prism yet, but i have loved his lightbringer series (although, i'm still one book behind on it - started it right around the time i fell out of reading again)

it's definitely on my list, and if it's available for a deal it's probably worth grabbing - he's a really good world and character builder, and his magic system in the lightbringer series is well thought out and interesting

1 hour ago, Captroop said:

@Bronn Black Prism by Brent Weeks is on the Kindle daily deals today. Read that one? Any thoughts?

Actually I did. It is pretty good. It is the only one I have read in that series so far, but I REALLY liked the Night Angel trilogy he did that I mentioned before.

Black Prism is really cool in that it takes a pretty cool take on magic. In that universe, the mages draw their power from the color spectrum of light. You can be a red mage that draws on red light that gives you power to use fire spells, etc. Some more powerful mages are able to use multiple colors, stuff like that.

It also has some pretty good political plot going on.

I won't spoil anything further, but I would recommend it. It is a pretty hefty read IIRC, but if you're a digital reader that shouldn't be a problem other than the time investment. I did read it pretty quick for my own standards, though, and that usually only happens with the better reads.

1 hour ago, Crixtala said:

haven't gotten to black prism yet, but i have loved his lightbringer series (although, i'm still one book behind on it - started it right around the time i fell out of reading again)

it's definitely on my list, and if it's available for a deal it's probably worth grabbing - he's a really good world and character builder, and his magic system in the lightbringer series is well thought out and interesting

? I thought Black Prism was the first book of the Lightbringer series?

1 hour ago, Bronn said:

? I thought Black Prism was the first book of the Lightbringer series?

lol

you're right

i was thinking of the night angel trilogy, which came out before the lightbringer series.  black prism is definitely worth grabbing

Archived