• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Garrett Bradbury should be our 1st round pick

Khyber53

11 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Bradbury could sneak into the top-10. Even at 16, I only take him if DE and SAF are off the board. Guy is going to be an instant plug n' play OL for a decade, but there are guys in the 2nd and maybe even early 3rd that have franchise potential. I'd rather get one of the DL or Thompson. Hard for me to take a C in R1. 

I would be interested in hearing about his football IQ.  If he has a solid Football IQ than you have to consider him if he is available.   We saw the difference in our super smart Pro Bowl caliber Center compared to those that played behind him.  You cannot underestimate how important the brain of the OL has to be.   

While I concur that we have other position that need addressing more and a quality Center is going to be available in round two.   Do you want to miss out on a long term player?

He has to be in the discussion, at minimum. 

Should be noted that NFL Network was comparing him to Kalil. 

3 hours ago, Sub Zero said:

No center is more important than Top 5 RB sorry.. Name the 2 centers in the Superbowl without Google please?

I can tell you our two were Jeff Mitchell and Ryan Kalil, both of whom, in hindsight were worthy of first round picks where ever they were taken. Both had long careers as starters and leaders of offensive lines as well and were integral parts of the offense. 

If you don't have a good center, it doesn't matter who plays to either side... to quote Shakespeare, "Things fall apart... the center cannot hold."

Oh and the Super Bowl ones this year: John Sullivan (9 year career, Vikings and Rams as a starter), David Andrews (4 year career, 3.8 as a starter for NE). Both are pretty good examples of long-term success guys valued by winning teams. And I did have to Google it, as anyone would.

I just feel this is where we're going with the pick, where we need to go and where we'll see immediate and longterm returns on the investment. 

Your mileage may vary.

2 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I can tell you our two were Jeff Mitchell and Ryan Kalil, both of whom, in hindsight were worthy of first round picks where ever they were taken. Both had long careers as starters and leaders of offensive lines as well and were integral parts of the offense. 

If you don't have a good center, it doesn't matter who plays to either side... to quote Shakespeare, "Things fall apart... the center cannot hold."

Oh and the Super Bowl ones this year: John Sullivan (9 year career, Vikings and Rams as a starter), David Andrews (4 year career, 3.8 as a starter for NE). Both are pretty good examples of long-term success guys valued by winning teams. And I did have to Google it, as anyone would.

I just feel this is where we're going with the pick, where we need to go and where we'll see immediate and longterm returns on the investment. 

Your mileage may vary.

Don't forget about the great Tarheel Jeff Saturday from the Colts

I think Bradbury cemented himself as a first rounder (after 20) yesterday. I don't think he's worth taking at 16, but that's just my opinion. I think the Panthers will find themselves in a good spot on draft night. The real question is how they have these guys graded. I can see a scenario when they're up to pick at 16 and they have a few guys with the same grade. Since this team needs to get younger, I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade back to pick up additional picks.

This draft seems loaded with players on the offensive/defensive lines. It may be in the Panthers best interest to move back. The Colts did something similar last year, granted they had a top 5 pick. That strategy worked out well for them in the first year at least.

To many people that have a favorite college team or went to that college want the best player from that school to be a pick for their favorite NFL team.  Regardless of position.  Bradbury is a very good Center.  But he is a center only.  He is to small right now to walk in and play guard and he has never played tackle.  He might be the best Center in this draft but Jenkins and McCoy some teams will consider better lineman because they can walk in tomorrow and play either guard spot and Jenkins even played tackle one year at Mississippi St.  Bradbury can't do that.  Has a center only ever gone in the top 15 picks?  Now if we moved from say 16 to 26, ok then maybe I could see it but at 16, I just think that is way to high.

1 minute ago, bababoey said:

To many people that have a favorite college team or went to that college want the best player from that school to be a pick for their favorite NFL team.  Regardless of position.  Bradbury is a very good Center.  But he is a center only.  He is to small right now to walk in and play guard and he has never played tackle.  He might be the best Center in this draft but Jenkins and McCoy some teams will consider better lineman because they can walk in tomorrow and play either guard spot and Jenkins even played tackle one year at Mississippi St.  Bradbury can't do that.  Has a center only ever gone in the top 15 picks?  Now if we moved from say 16 to 26, ok then maybe I could see it but at 15, I just think that is way to high.

That is basically my argument against taking him at 16. He's on the smaller side and he probably wouldn't translate that well to guard, versus the guys like Jenkins and McCoy. He does remind me of Ryan though, so I think that is what draws me to him quite a bit. I think he would be a consideration for a trade down if all our top picks on the board are exhausted by 16. I also do not like the idea of taking a "true center" at 16.

Another thing to consider is that right now were in the immediate aftermath of the workouts so the hype is going to be the highest. It may very well end up that Bradbury(and Jenkins/McCoy) are available at our pick in the second round.

Bradbury is a stud

But the McCoy out of Texas a&m isnt a slouch either.  Dudes a mauler and was one of the best athletes at OL at the combine yesterday 

We met with him at the SeniorBowl, not sure if we did again yesterday.  

He is a real option in the 2nd round

35 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That is basically my argument against taking him at 16. He's on the smaller side and he probably wouldn't translate that well to guard, versus the guys like Jenkins and McCoy. He does remind me of Ryan though, so I think that is what draws me to him quite a bit. I think he would be a consideration for a trade down if all our top picks on the board are exhausted by 16. I also do not like the idea of taking a "true center" at 16.

Another thing to consider is that right now were in the immediate aftermath of the workouts so the hype is going to be the highest. It may very well end up that Bradbury(and Jenkins/McCoy) are available at our pick in the second round.

his measurables are almost exactly the same as Kalil but Bradbury was faster. 

Bradbery vs Kalil.png

2 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

his measurables are almost exactly the same as Kalil but Bradbury was faster. 

Bradbery vs Kalil.png

I knew he had the speed and quickness.

But the weight he came in.  But the biggest thing was the bench.

Becaus the only question mark at the seniorbowl was his strength.  On a few bullrushes he got pushed back  Which he is still bulking as a converted TE.  

11 minutes ago, ncfan said:

I knew he had the speed and quickness.

But the weight he came in.  But the biggest thing was the bench.

Becaus the only question mark at the seniorbowl was his strength.  On a few bullrushes he got pushed back  Which he is still bulking as a converted TE.  

I don't think you will go wrong with this guy.  They say he has solid tape too. 

A first round pick should be a starter.  We have a huge hole to fill in Kalil position.  We can say the same thing for DE as well but if you get a perennial starter that can help solidify our O-Line.  I wouldn't freak out with this pick.  

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I don't think you will go wrong with this guy.  They say he has solid tape too. 

A first round pick should be a starter.  We have a huge hole to fill in Kalil position.  We can say the same thing for DE as well but if you get a perennial starter that can help solidify our O-Line.  I wouldn't freak out with this pick.  

Correct.  I think he will be a franchise probowl Center 

Problem is, we have other real big needs as well.

OT

Edge rusher (only Addison, Obada, and Haynes are signed)

There are 1-2 other really good Centers who will be available in the 2nd.  While the drop at edge rusher between 16 and the 2nd will be much mich more significant 

You have a chance to replace a borderline hall of fame center with a guy that's almost an exact replica. We took Ryan Kalil 2nd, but was he worth a mid to late first round pick in hindsight? Absolutely! Last year there were 2 centers taken in pick 20 and 21 with Frank Ragnow and Billy Price and 2 more centers taken in the early 2nd. The most realistic team that would probably consider him are the Vikings at 18, Titans at 19, Texans 23, Eagles at 25 and a couple of teams in the early 2nd round. 16 is not rich in my opinion with a guy that has a high ceiling and high floor.

Will see how well the Defensive lineman test on Sun. I'm just very wary of the Pass Rushers available to us at 16 (Burns, Gary, Ferrell, Sweat, Polite). I just see incompatibility and high bust rates (I hope I'm wrong). The best pass rushers will go top 10 (Williams, Oliver, Allen, Bosa), should we take the 4,5 or 6th best pass rusher when we can take arguably the best interior lineman at an important position like C?

Archived