• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King actually somewhat optimistic about Cam

JawnyBlaze

1 hour ago, trueblade said:

By week 6, Cam will have had four more weeks of playing at game speed with the new throwing motion. The optimist in me says its like trying a new golf swing. Your golf score tends to get worse before it gets better.

The golf swing analogy is apt, as I posted on it yesterday.  To my eye, the inaccurate throws he made were caused by hesitancy over getting his new "mechanics" right.  Go back to being yourself, Cam, and just let it rip.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a part of me that can't help wondering about things like what difference it could have made if Newton had been coached by someone like Norv Turner from the beginning.

That part of me cries a lot :crying:

Norv is a dinosaur like Rivera.

We need innovation. Not coaches stuck in a bygone era.

9 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Norv is a dinosaur like Rivera.

We need innovation. Not coaches stuck in a bygone era.

See, the Norv haters can't even be consistent.  It's nuts.

There's the "We need innovation" crowd.  Ok, fair enough.  How is wildcat on 4th and 1 with the game on the line, using the QB as a receiver and your best receiver as another distraction.  Face facts here:  Tampa had exactly ONE GUY on that play who stayed home.  If that guy had done what he had done ALL FREAKING GAME LONG and followed DJ across the formation CMC walks in for the score.

And then there is the "Pound that thing up inside" crowd - basically the "go old school" crowd.  Well ffs people, which is it?  We could have tried that, pounding the rock up the gut.  Granted our O Line had been getting moved backwards the ENTIRE GAME, but who knows, maybe all we needed was Alex Armah to completely flip the script.  *sigh*

The offensive coordinator has one job on game day:  Put your players in a situation where they have an opportunity to succeed.  We had receivers running open ALL DAY on Thursday against the Bucs.  Going back to last year, over the first 8 games of the year Cam was on pace to have a CAREER YEAR in Norv's system only to be derailed by "the hit" against Pissburgh.

I'm all for placing blame, but put it where it's deserved.  Like Scot, I cry a little when I think of how good Cam could have been with Norv / Scott picking up his development after Chud left.  Water under the bridge now, unfortunately.

14 minutes ago, BrianS said:

See, the Norv haters can't even be consistent.  It's nuts.

There's the "We need innovation" crowd.  Ok, fair enough.  How is wildcat on 4th and 1 with the game on the line, using the QB as a receiver and your best receiver as another distraction.  Face facts here:  Tampa had exactly ONE GUY on that play who stayed home.  If that guy had done what he had done ALL FREAKING GAME LONG and followed DJ across the formation CMC walks in for the score.

And then there is the "Pound that thing up inside" crowd - basically the "go old school" crowd.  Well ffs people, which is it?  We could have tried that, pounding the rock up the gut.  Granted our O Line had been getting moved backwards the ENTIRE GAME, but who knows, maybe all we needed was Alex Armah to completely flip the script.  *sigh*

The offensive coordinator has one job on game day:  Put your players in a situation where they have an opportunity to succeed.  We had receivers running open ALL DAY on Thursday against the Bucs.  Going back to last year, over the first 8 games of the year Cam was on pace to have a CAREER YEAR in Norv's system only to be derailed by "the hit" against Pissburgh.

I'm all for placing blame, but put it where it's deserved.  Like Scot, I cry a little when I think of how good Cam could have been with Norv / Scott picking up his development after Chud left.  Water under the bridge now, unfortunately.

Cam has been inaccurate, that has been a factor in our struggles no doubt.

But if you can say this offense hasn't looked Shulaesque at times this season with how we've pissed away entire drives with baffling inopportune playcalls that stagnate our rhythm then I don't know what to tell you. You have to see what's in front of you. Other teams are also managing to create touchdowns through their run game with even second stringers. We couldn't reach the end zone with our running game once against the Bucs? Just ugly all around.

26 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Cam has been inaccurate, that has been a factor in our struggles no doubt.

But if you can say this offense hasn't looked Shulaesque at times this season with how we've pissed away entire drives with baffling inopportune playcalls that stagnate our rhythm then I don't know what to tell you. You have to see what's in front of you. Other teams are also managing to create touchdowns through their run game with even second stringers. We couldn't reach the end zone with our running game once against the Bucs? Just ugly all around.

Shula-esque?  Really?  How many times in 5 years did you see Shula willing to forgo the run game because the box was stacked?  Isn't this EXACTLY why everyone wanted Shula gone?  How many times in 5 years did Shula have Cam throw it 50 times in a game?  (I'll answer that one:  Once.)

Now, given who our RB is and what he's shown, it would be FOOLISH to assume we didn't enter this game against the Bucs with every intention of feeding CMC.  Surely that was the plan.  Nothing else even makes sense.  So we go into the game, and the Bucs give us a never ending supply of stacked boxes and man coverage.  Our OC sees this, realizes we aren't going to run, and adjusts to a game plan that WILL work.  And it did.  Our QB just failed to execute.

Norv has been willing to keep the things Cam does well.  He's helped Cam get off to the most consistent 8 game stretch of his career before an injury.  Blame the right person here.  TJ Watt?  Ok, fine.  Cam?  Sure.

I do see what's in front of me.  And I'm scared.  I was a huge fan of healthy Cam coming in to this year with a full understanding of Norv's system and picking up where he left off prior to the Pittsburgh game.  Unfortunately, so far, he's picked up where he left off after the first New Orleans game instead.  He doesn't look good.  He doesn't look healthy.  He doesn't look happy.  That's not a recipe for success.

I want to be wrong.  Really.  I do.  I want to see CaMVP again.  I'm becoming increasingly concerned that we never will.  :(

6 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Shula-esque?  Really?  How many times in 5 years did you see Shula willing to forgo the run game because the box was stacked?  Isn't this EXACTLY why everyone wanted Shula gone?  How many times in 5 years did Shula have Cam throw it 50 times in a game?  (I'll answer that one:  Once.)

Now, given who our RB is and what he's shown, it would be FOOLISH to assume we didn't enter this game against the Bucs with every intention of feeding CMC.  Surely that was the plan.  Nothing else even makes sense.  So we go into the game, and the Bucs give us a never ending supply of stacked boxes and man coverage.  Our OC sees this, realizes we aren't going to run, and adjusts to a game plan that WILL work.  And it did.  Our QB just failed to execute.

Norv has been willing to keep the things Cam does well.  He's helped Cam get off to the most consistent 8 game stretch of his career before an injury.  Blame the right person here.  TJ Watt?  Ok, fine.  Cam?  Sure.

I do see what's in front of me.  And I'm scared.  I was a huge fan of healthy Cam coming in to this year with a full understanding of Norv's system and picking up where he left off prior to the Pittsburgh game.  Unfortunately, so far, he's picked up where he left off after the first New Orleans game instead.  He doesn't look good.  He doesn't look healthy.  He doesn't look happy.  That's not a recipe for success.

I want to be wrong.  Really.  I do.  I want to see CaMVP again.  I'm becoming increasingly concerned that we never will.  :(

The OL has done Norv absolutely no favors to be fair. I'm not trying to hate on the guy, I'm just being realistic about the future of this team and staff depending on how this season shakes out.

I'm fine with the Turners in a QB development kind of role, but if we're hitting the reset button at QB I want an offensive minded head coach and a new defensive staff. We might need a culture shakeup in general at this point. Look at how well young coaches are doing, McVay with the Rams. The new coach at GB is 2-0. That's where what I mention about innovation comes into play.

But either way we still need a QB as a starting point in any of these options moving forward.

3 hours ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

What do people think will be happening Week 6 that wasn't happening on Thursday? Some of Cam's misses were under heavy duress, but not all of them were. Cam has had clean pockets on occasion in Weeks 1 and 2 where he badly missed open receivers. How can that be attributed to a new focus on "efficient football"? 

We are at a chicken and egg moment. Where is the bad timing and sailed throws coming from Cam or the inability of the line to protect him consistently. If the line isn't sured up we may never know. 

3 hours ago, CRA said:

I think the part "d" is pretty important in regards to King's context.  He has to work his arm/shoulder back like Luck did.  He also looked rough to open that season. 

but none of that addresses Cam not running.  And a Cam that doesn't run, is a Cam I don't want on the field big picture. 

If by rough you mean:

1 09/09 videoicon.gif CIN L   23-34 1 1 39 53 73.6 319 6.0 2 1 2 14 93.2 1 7 7.0 0 -- --

2 09/16 videoicon.gif @ WAS W   21-9 1 1 21 31 67.7 179 5.8 2 2 1 2 77.2 4 2 0.5 0 1 0

3 09/23 videoicon.gif @ PHI L   16-20 1 1 25 40 62.5 164 4.1 1 0 2 23 79.6 1 33 33.0 0 -- --

4 09/30 videoicon.gif HOU L   34-37 1 1 40 62 64.5 464 7.5 4 0 4 27 108.5 3 11 3.7 0 2

2 Amazing games and 2 average, efficient games.  I think we would all be thrilled if Cam put up these sort of numbers in the first 4 games of this season.

Around 1200 yards, 9 TDs and 3 INTs, around 65% completion.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:12 AM, Matt62881 said:

Occasional clean pockets and a turnstile LT lead to seeing "ghosts" and causes almost any qb to force the ball out quick. We need little or a LT with quicker feet in there so Cam can play like he did early last season.

So you're saying that Cam was more  comfortable with LT Matt Kalil?

Even with the new motion cam still throws with more velocity on his passes than Matt Ryan so its defintely possible for him to still be successful. He just has to work his way threw the kinks, i been saying all along throwing in practice is a whole lot different than throwing in actual games. He just needs time to adjust.

Archived