• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peter King actually somewhat optimistic about Cam

JawnyBlaze

4 hours ago, Sgt Schultz said:

The pessimist view is that Cam is pretty far along in his career to be going through a development process. 

The optimistic view is he is already well used to the NFL game, the speed, what to expect from NFL defenses, etc.  That learning curve is not small, and he has already absorbed it.

Every running QB (vs. a classic pocket passer) has gone through this to one level or another.  Some make the transition, some don't.  The reason is you want a QB to last 10-15 years. RBs last a lot less.  It is not that they become uninspired, the reason is physical.  Cam (he and his body) is not an exception to this.  This may be especially true with his weight loss.  He can't play like a fullback and run over LBs with the same proficiency when he is 15 lbs. lighter or so.

The prototypes for this are Steve Young, Warren Moon, Randall Cunningham, etc.  To one degree or another, they all made the transition from run first to run when it is time to run.

But, the question is whether or brain trust has already beaten him up enough that it is simply not possible.  From what we are told and what I have seen, he is capable of doing it if the OL doesn't get him killed again.  But, he could be one injury away from proving me wrong.

I have no idea what will happen, only the large number of possibilities of what could.  Put me in the "cautiously optimistic" category.

This is always so funny to me because 

1. Newton takes more hits in the pocket then when he runs and brutal hits at that

2. He injured his shoulder the first time running down an interception caused by Benjamins half assed attempt to catch a TD pass 

16 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

This is always so funny to me because 

1. Newton takes more hits in the pocket then when he runs and brutal hits at that

2. He injured his shoulder the first time running down an interception caused by Benjamins half assed attempt to catch a TD pass 

Ever hear of the words "past performance does not guarantee future results?"  He's now on the wrong side of 30 to be saying he should go back to being a run-first or run-often QB, a fact even more true since he pared down about 15 pounds. 

The poor guy is racking up injuries, and we appear to be advocating turning him back into a player who consistently challenges LBs, without even the guise of protection afforded to passers.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to be a statue back there because our OL and lack of adjustment to blitzes will get him killed, but for his own sake, he needs to let those paid to rush the football actually rush the football, and his own carries be more strategically called. 

We solved problem #2 by not allowing Benjamin to cause interceptions anymore.  Ironically, so did Buffalo.....and the rest of the NFL.

6 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

Ever hear of the words "past performance does not guarantee future results?"  He's now on the wrong side of 30 to be saying he should go back to being a run-first or run-often QB, a fact even more true since he pared down about 15 pounds. 

The poor guy is racking up injuries, and we appear to be advocating turning him back into a player who consistently challenges LBs, without even the guise of protection afforded to passers.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to be a statue back there because our OL and lack of adjustment to blitzes will get him killed, but for his own sake, he needs to let those paid to rush the football actually rush the football, and his own carries be more strategically called. 

We solved problem #2 by not allowing Benjamin to cause interceptions anymore.  Ironically, so did Buffalo.....and the rest of the NFL.

The saying "age makes cowards of us all" exists for a reason.

Newton isn't old by societal standards; but by pro football standards, yeah he's getting up there a little. And he plays a style of football that's not for the faint of heart.

In addition, others have pointed out that when you get past the age of 30, you have a family to take care of and you start thinking about your future, priorities change.

Is any of that affecting Newton? Don't know, but it's possible.

22 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a part of me that can't help wondering about things like what difference it could have made if Newton had been coached by someone like Norv Turner from the beginning.

That part of me cries a lot :crying:

He was for two seasons. Then the guy left and kept Turner away from us to boot. I feel like continuity was highly desired, thus Shula.

My Chud fandom was fading the second year which makes no real difference at all, just saying. I would have loved Norv here to replace him.

4 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

He was for two seasons. Then the guy left and kept Turner away from us to boot. I feel like continuity was highly desired, thus Shula.

My Chud fandom was fading the second year which makes no real difference at all, just saying. I would have loved Norv here to replace him.

Rivera tried. He chose to follow Chudzinski to the Browns instead.

One season later, Chudzinski was fired and Norv was looking for work.

Turner has since acknowledged that going to Cleveland was a mistake (it usually is). From what I understand, I think he believed there would be better opportunities for Scott there.

For now, he's still hoping Scott succeeds him here but some things are going to need to change for that train to get back on track.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Rivera tried. He chose to follow Chudzinski to the Browns instead.

One season later, Chudzinski was fired and Norv was looking for work.

Turner has since acknowledged that going to Cleveland was a mistake (it usually is). From what I understand, I think he believed there would be better opportunities for Scott there.

For now, he's still hoping Scott succeeds him here but some things are going to need to change for that train to get back on track.

That's how things go, they had a great 2013 with Shula they aren't going to treat him badly to hire Norv. After a 1-3 start fwiw.

Archived