• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So did Rivera give control of the defense back to Washington?

rayzor

1 hour ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Am I the only one who isn't disappointed in the defense so far? I think they did perfectly fine last week, only allowed 20 points, just over 200 passing yards, under 100 rushing and the only player that beat us regularly was Godwin. That's more on Jackson than the entire defense, Godwin ate his lunch. 

Either way, Defense played admirably and kept the team in the game. Offense couldn't put it in the endzone. 

I actually split the games.  Tampa, the O lost it.  Put the week 1 game more on the D.  I don’t think the D played well week 1.  

Just now, CPcavedweller said:

Calling Cam's foot a clown? Given the final score of our two games, if Cam doesn't sprain his foot against New England and is able to do everything he usually does, Carolina wins both of them. 

The "clowns running the show" are Hurney and Rivera.

5 minutes ago, CRA said:

I actually split the games.  Tampa, the O lost it.  Put the week 1 game more on the D.  I don’t think the D played well week 1.  

I disagree. The offense lost both. Turnovers lead to short fields for the Rams. Easier to score that way. Defense actually held the rams to fewer yards/play throughout the game. Rams offense had 4.6. We had 5.3. 

The Turnovers killed us. 

4 hours ago, rayzor said:

I had this sick suspicion that he had last week, but I haven't wanted to go back and watch that poo show of a game last week to see.

It sure seems like he did and if he did, he needs to be gone or at least reminded again by tepper how stupid that is.

I'm starting to feel bad for Tepper. Guy pays 2+ billion of his own money and keeps putting money into developing and growing the team only to be stuck with the clowns running this show. I'd be pissed.

It would appear so.. if you goto the Panthers Official website.. they have an article stating Washington's Defense preparing for Arizona Offense..

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm going off what Gantt said.

You have a different source?

Cmon now... it has been well documented, discussed, dissected, etc.

Reading between the lines, Rivera feels the best chance for the Panthers to succeed defensively is for him to call the plays instead of Washington.

So does owner David Tepper.

"If you look through the season you look at the strengths and the weaknesses, we probably should have done some things earlier on defense when it appeared we had some problems," said Tepper, referring to Rivera taking over four games into a seven-game losing streak after a 6-2 start. "And some of those problems probably were coach-related problems and changes were made. Now they could have been made earlier. We didn't make them earlier. So that was bad."

But Tepper saw a lot of good in what happened after Rivera took over.

"A vast improvement in the defenses gives you hope we have the right personnel in there," Tepper said of the future. "As I said when I got in here [as the owner in July], a perception I still think is right ... Ron is a very good defensive coach and he has on the reigns again. That's the way it should be."

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/31717/david-tepper-ron-rivera-gives-panthers-best-chance-as-defensive-playcaller

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks//play-calling-duties-have-ron-rivera-focusing-on-defense/

14 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

Here's the text you're citing...

Reading between the lines, Rivera feels the best chance for the Panthers to succeed defensively is for him to call the plays instead of Washington.

So does owner David Tepper.

"If you look through the season you look at the strengths and the weaknesses, we probably should have done some things earlier on defense when it appeared we had some problems," said Tepper, referring to Rivera taking over four games into a seven-game losing streak after a 6-2 start. "And some of those problems probably were coach-related problems and changes were made. Now they could have been made earlier. We didn't make them earlier. So that was bad."

Right up front, this is stated to be Newton's analysis (reading between the lines) not a factual reporting.

As to "so does David Tepper", the phrase you bolded, that shows that Tepper agreed with Rivera's decision, not that he told him to do it, as you suggested.

Throw in that down below the passage you quoted, there's this...

Rivera believes Washington still can be a good defensive coordinator, which is why his job title wasn't stripped along with the playcalling.

"My whole attitude is still making sure I'm training and helping Eric to grow," Rivera said. "He's a terrific coordinator in terms of mapping things out, and with a little more experience he can be a very good playcaller as well."

...which backs up exactly what Gantt was saying.

You basically just helped me win the argument, dude.

There are so many stories about this... its absurd.

Along with being the team's head coach, Rivera enters the season as the full-time defensive play caller — a commitment that has changed how he's approaching his day-to-day operations at Wofford College.

Pus I've sat at the game and watched him read the sheet and call the plays... live and in person. 

Washington is not calling them.

Carolina Panthers head coach Ron Rivera took over the defensive play-calling in full during the team’s loss to Tampa Bay in Week 13 of the 2018 season.

He’ll keep that duty in 2019.

According to a source with knowledge of the matter, Rivera will be the Panthers’ defensive play-caller through the 2019 season while still retaining his head coaching duties.

6 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

There are so many stories about this... its absurd.

Pus I've sat at the game and watched him read the sheet and call the plays... live and in person. 

Washington is not calling them.

I'm no longer sure you're reading these posts all that carefully, but...

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think it's probably still Rivera for the moment, but anything's possible.

The link you yourself posted confirmed that Rivera is hoping to have Washington eventually take over again, but that doesn't necessarily mean that time has come. I personally don't believe it has, and said so.

Archived