• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How does the Rhule hire help us strategically?

rayzor

29 minutes ago, jtm said:

Fired a two time coach of the year for a college coach that had one winning season at Baylor

Without further information and context, it indeed does look like a bad move. I think you need to look at the bigger picture, why we fired 2 time COTY and hired a college coach as his replacement. Please, all Panthers fans, give Rhule a chance to show what he can do. He may not be everyone's top choice for the job, but now that he is our coach, root for him.

43 minutes ago, jtm said:

I said all along that the grass isn't always greener and here you go Panthers fans. Fired a two time coach of the year for a college coach that had one winning season at Baylor. 

Maybe this guy turns out to be a hall of famer and I’m pulling for him, but this is hardly the type of hire most wanted. 

Yeah, I'm going to miss 3 out of 9 winning seasons that consistently got trounced in the division.

7893D579-49B3-46C1-A539-FBF3CBD8A59A.thumb.jpeg.656195f4f25338e514f9dd5cf92c13d4.jpeg

@rayzor

a picture speaks 1000 words..  well, in this case, a meme

I think Rhule's best quality is adjusting to what hes got. I don't think he has some system that he is hard nosed stubburn to stick to. H'es taken duds to studs, by knowing how the pieces fit, and adapting and improvising when needed...  something us panther fans have NOT seen as of recent.  

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

https://footballscoop.com/news/matt-rhule-came-grips-rpo-game-smash-mouth-coach/

this is basically the only thing I can really find on anything analytical, what percentage of plays work during different down and distance and his willingness to adapt to what he sees as the right way to play the game. This dude is a ton like Rivera but willing to adapt to what is needed to win (RPO) He is not an offensive minded coach. He’s a win in the trenches and run the ball, control the game. Honestly I’m not seeing much of a difference from him and Rivera. Rivera allowed us to run college spread/ RPO’s with Cam. My hope is that he is just overall a better game manager than Ron. Because he severely lacked in that department.

Thats a GOOD thing (the whole build the trenches and run the ball).  We have one of the greatest RB's in possibly the history of the NFL.  If Rhule wants to concentrate on beefing up the O-Line and running teams into the ground, then thats A-OK with me.  The NFL is trending back to more smash mouth, run oriented offenses.  Exhibit A is Baltimore breaking the NFL record for rushing yards in a season, and the league having something like 19 1000 yard rushers this season, as opposed to 6 or 7 the previous couple of years.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

I don't put a lot of stock in introductory press conferences. Rivera sounds aggressive when he's trying to sell/market himself, but when it's game time, that foot is on the brakes.

I want/need evidence.

I predict in about 213 days you will have your first evidence. 

25 minutes ago, joemac said:

The NFL is trending back to more smash mouth, run oriented offenses.  Exhibit A is Baltimore breaking the NFL record for rushing yards in a season, and the league having something like 19 1000 yard rushers this season, as opposed to 6 or 7 the previous couple of years.

Yeah sure, if you have the greatest running QB in NFL history and run the read option extensively

We have a 31 year old Cam Newton who won't be able to take many hits

Rhule sounds like Dave Gettleman, and he couldn't be more wrong here

He parrots old time conventional wisdom that has been disproven with data.  Most of you will likely agree with the following quote, but it's because you're too ignorant to know any better and were raised on football cliches.

The next way you win is in the trenches,” he said. “Run the football and stop the run. You can win games by not doing that, but you’ll never control them. There’s a difference between outscoring opponents and controlling them

I'm just wondering where the special sauce is in his plan. Ok, so we have analytics to bring in the raw players, who is teaching all of them? Where is he finding the rest of his staff who will do this work and bring results? How much of this can he do as head coach? Then, we look at his leadership- ok, he can motivate and get the team marching in one direction, he can appeal to guys on all three phases of the team, but who does he have calling plays. How good are they at adapting and thinking strategically and ahead. How much does Rhule intend to be involved in game planning all phases? Where are the people around him who are going to make this process work? This is what worries me about his NFL relationships, because I'll feel really bad about all this if we have a staff loaded with guys from Baylor or something. I'm hoping he can bring in some top assistants and maybe a DC over Snow.

Right now, we have Sean Ryan. Who I do like and will be interested to see what he looks like game planning and calling plays. Snow, I don't know anything about, he's coached a long time in different situations, but is he the guy who tells Luke what to do? I'm worried about credibility on the defensive side and also worried about having someone who can mold the defense into whatever it will be going forward. A lot of investment is on the side of the ball.

1 minute ago, bobowilson said:

Rhule sounds like Dave Gettleman, and he couldn't be more wrong here

He parrots old time conventional wisdom that has been disproven with data.  Most of you will likely agree with the following quote, but it's because you're too ignorant to know any better and were raised on football cliches.

You keep quoting a single article referencing a talk he gave to texas high school football coaches as the basis for your disdain for the hire,  have you dug in any deeper or are you going to keep regurgitating the same quotes?

6 minutes ago, stan786 said:

You keep quoting a single article referencing a talk he gave to texas high school football coaches as the basis for your disdain for the hire,  have you dug in any deeper or are you going to keep regurgitating the same quotes?

So you don't believe he meant what he said (especially given it was reflected in how both Temple and Baylor were run)?

Is your theory that he's really a brilliant guy who understands the data, but chose to lie in his talks to disguise his true thoughts?

First of all, we really do not have much.  Developing a culture is often said and many think it means locker room happiness.  First, he was an assistant at Western Carolina before he accepted the Temple job.  (kidding)

I found this embedded in an article that gives you a peek into his pigskin skull. 

"http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/243446868/matt-rhule-baylor-bears-changes-offense

"When you look across college football and say, 'Who's winning the national championship?' it's teams that mix tempos and personnel groups," Rule said at Big 12 media days. "And I'd like to win the national championship someday, so I'm just going to copy what those guys do." 

That means taking pages from Alabama, Clemson and, Rhule is quick to add, the New England Patriots.

"The teams I respect the most, the Alabamas, the old USC teams, the New England Patriots, if they need to be in five-wide and they're behind like [the Patriots] were in the Super Bowl, they're going to be in five-wide and throw it," he said. "If they're ahead, they're going to get in the I-formation and bloody your nose until they win the game. So versatility, when people say 'pro style,' that's what I think of, to do whatever you need to do to win a game." 

He's not shying away from clear goals, either. For Rhule, success is measured by a handful of metrics:

• 200 rushing yards per game
  • 45 percent third-down conversion rate
  • 70 percent red zone touchdown percentage 
  • No stupid turnovers

It seems the key word is flexibility. 

2 hours ago, stan786 said:

This is my read on the situation after reading like 30 articles and listening to a dozen interview with Rhule yesterday, because I started out totally unsure. The is definitely some sugar coating from me but I think overall it’s clear why we hired him and what he brings to the table.

I think this hire is a lot about Tepper establishing his brand of football on the organization. One of the biggest things you hear Rhule talk about is his “process of sustained greatness”. He wants to come in and use data and process in player acquisition, health, and development. Its pretty clear Tepper is sticking by his hope that he can create a culture or a mix of smart and old school football he loudly desired in his presser, and this guy fits it to a T. Still not sure that means it’s good but at least he’s being honest.  Also I believe that’s where the 7 year contract comes from, Rhule is going to get a LOT of rope to come in here and develop a process that Tepper is clearly in love with, so buckle up.

In terms of Baylor he wasn’t coaching up a bunch of Rudys. The Baylor process was built on developing overlooked and raw athletes. He put a onus on using data and numbers to identify these prospects with top tier athletic traits and their goal was to project where they thought the player could develop to while deciding who to take. While the kids were overlooked they all were definitely not Rudy. He understood the need to get players with tools, he also was a good enough coach to develop them, which yes college but I still feel is very important.  I’d definitely imagine this is the end of us drafting the Gauldens of the world, but does that mean we are going to be the Raiders going forward where a fast 40 moves you wildly up our boards I don’t know.

In terms of on the field coaching you’ll read yes he’s old school and he likes running the ball and yes he believes in trenches and all that. That doesn’t mean he’s married to it, he’s shown he’ll willingly go out of his comfort zone to learn and implement things that will help him win.  He still uses data in understanding what works when calling it in certain situations, he understands the best way to be successful on third down is to not get to third down, etc.  He doesn’t bury his head in the sand like some on here propose.

Now I do agree I’m not sure how aggressive he is and that worries me, I think we will have games we want to murder him with how he gets conservative late or whatever.  I just think the biggest thing I can take from him is he’s clearly willing to learn and to evolve regardless of how he likes to play the game, and he wants to use information to help him in all phases.  Does that mean he’s going to listen to data on every fourth down and two point conversion? No. Is he the perfect candidate? No. But he’s exactly what Tepper told us he wanted in his presser the more you listen to him.

this post should be pinned at the top of the boards until training camp 

Archived