• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Really Doesn't Have to Re-sign any free agents

Khyber53

I know everyone has their favorites, but looking over the list of Carolina's unrestricted and restricted free agents, I'm just not seeing any one player that we can't live without. Add in the two team option guys of Poe and Wright (already taken care of) and I'm still saying nope. Eighteen guys and no one we can't live without.

What say you? Is there anyone that if we don't re-sign, then we're sunk? Is there anyone there who is guaranteed to be worth the money?

I just keep looking at the list and seeing some very overpaid guys on the wrong end of the age scale, some role players and guys that are okay at best. Bradberry is the only standout of the bunch and I think we can check him off because some team out there in the league is going to be very, very willing to overpay for him. Hate to see him go, but his play ceiling is lower than his pay ceiling.

Heck, I was a fan of Greg van Roten this year if, because if nothing else, he was a good pulling guard and seemed to be trying harder than Trai Turner was at the other guard postion. Still, I'm not sure we can't find better for less than it's going to cost us to sign him as a starting RG. And I don't know what his long term is.

Even with the loss of Olsen to Seattle and Kuechly to retirement, there's just nothing making me think any of these guys really need to stay.

Convince me otherwise.

I agree. There is no one worth bringing back. I think that was one of the biggest mistakes the team did after the 2010-2011 season when they finished 2-14. They decided to sign Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Charles Johnson, etc. to longterm deals that crippled the cap for years. We finished 1-15 to end the second half of the season for 2018 and 2019. I am comfortable with not bringing back any of the UFA.

22 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I know everyone has their favorites, but looking over the list of Carolina's unrestricted and restricted free agents, I'm just not seeing any one player that we can't live without. Add in the two team option guys of Poe and Wright (already taken care of) and I'm still saying nope. Eighteen guys and no one we can't live without.

What say you? Is there anyone that if we don't re-sign, then we're sunk? Is there anyone there who is guaranteed to be worth the money?

I just keep looking at the list and seeing some very overpaid guys on the wrong end of the age scale, some role players and guys that are okay at best. Bradberry is the only standout of the bunch and I think we can check him off because some team out there in the league is going to be very, very willing to overpay for him. Hate to see him go, but his play ceiling is lower than his pay ceiling.

Heck, I was a fan of Greg van Roten this year if, because if nothing else, he was a good pulling guard and seemed to be trying harder than Trai Turner was at the other guard postion. Still, I'm not sure we can't find better for less than it's going to cost us to sign him as a starting RG. And I don't know what his long term is.

Even with the loss of Olsen to Seattle and Kuechly to retirement, there's just nothing making me think any of these guys really need to stay.

Convince me otherwise.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

But you're right, most of these guys stink. 

36 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

But you're right, most of these guys stink. 

You guys are right...there’s really no one on this list worthy bringing back. We need to avoid a repeat of 2010-11 as OP stated.

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Prediction: Panthers will re-sign the following 

Greg Van Roten, Ross Cockrell, Tre Boston 

i'm fine with this honestly. If Cockrell starts this year, could work out. We kinda need Boston versus what's out there currently

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Prediction: Panthers will re-sign the following 

Greg Van Roten, Ross Cockrell, Tre Boston 

I'd be cool with GVR, Cockrell, Elliott and McGee. All only if can be had for cheap.  Boston if cheap too, but I think he's tired of these temporary deals.

Archived