• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

I supported the effort to flatten the curve to avoid the swamping of our healthcare system. The data at the time supported it. The thing is that with a novel virus, the data is ever changing and rapidly evolving. The more and more data that we get on this virus, the less dangerous it looks to non-vulnerable populations. As the data evolves, the strategies, tactics, and policies also have to evolve. The experts weren't "wrong". They have to base their decisions off of the data currently available. The early data was both limited (as is all early data) but also highly unreliable. Now I'm hoping that egos don't get in the way of that evolvement. Widespread testing is still the key to protecting those vulnerable populations, but there really does need to be a shift toward getting back to some type of normalcy while making efforts to protect those vulnerable populations and if that means shifting currently available testing resources to further the protection of those vulnerable populations then so be it.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

9 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Just got back from Costco... 2/3 of people do no wear masks and some even bring their kids in

Yeah, I had to run some errands yesterday and I'd say it was 50/50 on people wearing masks vs. not and it seemed to me that the the older someone was the lower their odds of wearing a mask and quite frankly that straight up pisses me off. These stay at home mandates are primarily to protect at-risk populations. I've been furloughed from my day job and had a promising start up business basically put on hold because of these mandates. So when I see members of at-risk populations out and about pretty much going on with life as usual, well... it makes me want to punch them right in the fuging throat.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

29 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I supported the effort to flatten the curve to avoid the swamping of our healthcare system. The data at the time supported it. The thing is that with a novel virus, the data is ever changing and rapidly evolving. The more and more data that we get on this virus, the less dangerous it looks to non-vulnerable populations. As the data evolves, the strategies, tactics, and policies also have to evolve. The experts weren't "wrong". They have to base their decisions off of the data currently available. The early data was both limited (as is all early data) but also highly unreliable. Now I'm hoping that egos don't get in the way of that evolvement. Widespread testing is still the key to protecting those vulnerable populations, but there really does need to be a shift toward getting back to some type of normalcy while making efforts to protect those vulnerable populations and if that means shifting currently available testing resources to further the protection of those vulnerable populations then so be it.

I would add politics to the egos, contributing to some people being unwilling to evolve on this thing.  They are dug in.  What I've noticed is that some people are willing to acknowledge the revised data, but they simply move the goalposts until the data meshes with their narrative.  The sentence starts with "we must stay inside and shut down businesses until..."  And what comes next is evolving.  So once one benchmark is on the horizon, they simply move the benchmark.

Going back to the beginning of your post, I went home under the same understanding that you had.  We'd flatten the curve, then go back to work.  Obviously that goalpost has moved.  I even heard some "experts" have now come out and said that we shouldn't go back to normal until we start testing 20 million people per day.

• Pie 2

I'm not advocating a complete return to normal, but we can start opening up a lot of businesses while wearing masks and implementing basic social distancing standards. I don't expect a return to full normalcy before next summer, but we have to start evolving in that direction and making the best of the "new normal" in the meantime. 

The trickiest part to me is handling things like the restaurant industry, bars, theaters, etc. I've seen a lot of suggestions about allowing those businesses to open up at reduced capacity but I'm honestly not sure if that's economically sustainable for them. Restaurant margins are already razor thin. I just can't foresee a scenario where the service industry doesn't just get absolutely crushed by this thing. There are a LOT of bars and restaurants out there whose doors will never reopen (under current ownership, that is). 

So some nice news for this thread and an update to something I posted last week. I shared a local news clip about my ex wife's bistro that was days from closing down because of the pandemic. Since that aired she had a string of recording breaking days. People drove from more than an hour away, ordered a $10 meal to go and handed her $100, $200, (even $500 in one instance) and told her to keep the change. She spread this good fortune among her employees for sticking with her through this. 

I am sure that surge will die off eventually but there are still some really good people in this world. This generosity from total strangers will keep her business and her employees going for awhile longer and hopefully help sustain them until things get back to "normal", what ever that might be. If any of you were able to visit and contribute to her business, I really appreciate the support.

JR 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3

5 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

So some nice news for this thread and an update to something I posted last week. I shared a local news clip about my ex wife's bistro that was days from closing down because of the pandemic. Since that aired she had a string of recording breaking days. People drove from more than an hour away, ordered a $10 meal to go and handed her $100, $200, (even $500 in one instance) and told her to keep the change. She spread this good fortune among her employees for sticking with her through this. 

I am sure that surge will die off eventually but there are still some really good people in this world. This generosity from total strangers will keep her business and her employees going for awhile longer and hopefully help sustain them until things get back to "normal", what ever that might be. If any of you were able to visit and contribute to her business, I really appreciate the support.

JR 

We live at the lake now, Kenny so I'm pretty close to her place.  I'll be sure to have someone in our family stop by her place when we make trips up there over the next few weeks/months.  We've been trying to do so with as many Mom and Pop places as we can right now.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not advocating a complete return to normal, but we can start opening up a lot of businesses while wearing masks and implementing basic social distancing standards. I don't expect a return to full normalcy before next summer, but we have to start evolving in that direction and making the best of the "new normal" in the meantime. 

The trickiest part to me is handling things like the restaurant industry, bars, theaters, etc. I've seen a lot of suggestions about allowing those businesses to open up at reduced capacity but I'm honestly not sure if that's economically sustainable for them. Restaurant margins are already razor thin. I just can't foresee a scenario where the service industry doesn't just get absolutely crushed by this thing. There are a LOT of bars and restaurants out there whose doors will never reopen (under current ownership, that is). 

The phased approach is the best way about it.  But at some point...soon...we need to start rolling into the first phase.  I'd be perfectly content to stay in the house for the next 2 years if this thing were different, but its not.  Its time to "evolve" and start the process.  

As far as bars/restaurants, I just had the same conversation with my wife over the weekend.  First, I wonder which ones will go under.  But second, we wondered who (if anyone) would take over...and if it would be the same/worse/better than the previous establishment.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Went out Friday because the lady friend and I didn't want to cook. 

Ran into a ton of traffic on the way to the burger spot here in Durham/Raleigh. Then, some dudes car caught on fire and it was utterly shocking the amount of traffic out that day. 

Watched the news tonight, talking about businesses reopening. Showed a hair salon with a girl using a hair dryer, blasting anything airborne all over the place.

If restaraunts were to open, folks have to realize that only 1/5 to 1/4 of people are getting jobs back. And bars should never open until this is eradicated.