• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

CMC's home town is not off to a good start after the stay at home mandate was lifted.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/coronavirus/dozens-of-people-pack-into-castle-rock-restaurant-in-face-of-public-health-order

I guess its not just rednecks in the south with low education who can't understand the concept of social distancing and wearing a mask.

• Flames 2

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Welp, I’m getting furloughed today. It’s probably 50-50 on whether I’ll get to come back in August.

President and CFO project this will continue through the fall and into next spring. 

damn that sucks.  good luck man.

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Welp, I’m getting furloughed today. It’s probably 50-50 on whether I’ll get to come back in August.

President and CFO project this will continue through the fall and into next spring. 

Sorry to hear that. Good luck dude

On 5/9/2020 at 8:09 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

This thread is very close to getting locked for good at this point. It's virtually devoid of productive conversation and has devolved into pure political sniping. Knock it the fug off.

Please do. I would love to see the tinder box removed too. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

23 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

This is why I was okay with the idea of closing down the beaches, even though getting the virus on the beach isn't very likely.  It becomes a magnet for people.  

people are gonna travel for whatever right now not just beaches. it seems like it would be virtually impossible to stop people from traveling to other states.

Just now, TheRumGone said:

people are gonna travel for whatever right now not just beaches. it seems like it would be virtually impossible to stop people from traveling to other states.

Sadly, it is going to require folks going out, mingling and potentially infecting each other to get us to the next step in living in a post Coronavirus world. We'll know soon whether we get slammed again or if it will just be a moderate rate of infection. Sooner or later, we'll have to all go back out, but as Magneto said, "Let the pawns go first."

We've been living in a post Influenza world since the 1918 epidemic, learning to live with it's reappearances, learning how to treat it and alleviate symptoms, developing vaccines and sadly, burying tens of thousands of terminal cases each year because it can't be eradicated now or ever. We'll do the same with the Coronaviruses that will come along over the years.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Sadly, it is going to require folks going out, mingling and potentially infecting each other to get us to the next step in living in a post Coronavirus world. We'll know soon whether we get slammed again or if it will just be a moderate rate of infection. Sooner or later, we'll have to all go back out, but as Magneto said, "Let the pawns go first."

We've been living in a post Influenza world since the 1918 epidemic, learning to live with it's reappearances, learning how to treat it and alleviate symptoms, developing vaccines and sadly, burying tens of thousands of terminal cases each year because it can't be eradicated now or ever. We'll do the same with the Coronaviruses that will come along over the years.

OMG, finally someone gets it. We have to learn to live with this Virus, there is no way around it. 

• Pie 1

On 5/10/2020 at 10:48 AM, Wes21 said:

The President of my company is a boomer and is going to retire soon.  His son is a Millennial and will be taking over once that happens.  I felt like his son was going to make some changes to our work schedule once he took over, but now I think its a guarantee and he won't get push back from his dad.  Now he can say "remember in 2020 when..."  Specifically I think he's going to let us work from home on Friday's.  

I'm okay with companies experimenting with different business models.  Different industries and different groups of people have different needs, so its time to move away from the cookie cutter model of doing business.  Part of my job requires helping people to design their work space.  Its funny how many times people want an "open office" and then in practice realize all of the drawbacks, and ask us to come back and put in individual offices and conference rooms.  There was one construction management company I was researching that came up with the concept of no assigned seating.  Just tons of work spaces and you kind of "get in where you fit in" each day.  I wonder how that is working out for them.  In my office we'd all end up sitting in the same space everyday anyways.  We don't have "assigned seats" in our conference room for our weekly meetings, but everybody sits in the same chairs they always do every week.

I find that school indoctrinated us with the assigned seating. We all hate it in school, only because we didn't get to chose the spot. In classrooms, meetings, events, most people sit in the same spot they started in, sometimes they change, but most of the time they sit in same spot. 

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, jfra78 said:

I guess its not just rednecks in the south with low education who can't understand the concept of social distancing and wearing a mask.

There's rednecks, people of low education, and just general morons everywhere. I gotta say, in my town there's a real effort to socially distance and mask wearing is close to 100%. But, there's no shortage of pretentious entitled assholes to deal with. You win some you lose some.

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

NYT has an interesting historical article on pandemics today.

https://nytimes.com/2020/05/10/health/coronavirus-plague-pandemic-history.html

Interesting things I learned:

The 1918 Spanish flu evolved into the flu that comes around every year.

The Hong Kong flu of 1968 still circulates as a seasonal flu.

My takeaway: COVID 19 isn't going away. It will come back as another seasonal flu.

Edited by trueblade
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

32 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Its impossible to lock down a state 100%.  What you can do is significantly alter the number of people coming into the state.  Several states set up road blocks on major highways into and out of the state, and were turning away outside visitors after confirming their information.