• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

This was painfully predictable. We need to start opening the economy back up, but part of being able to do that is having a populace intelligent enough to realize they still need to make efforts to socially distance and wear masks. Just "going back to normal" isn't an intelligent approach.

27 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

They got it from the grocery store, or the curbside takeout, or the Amazon delivery.

Okay sure...that doesn’t change anything. Let’s be as charitable as possible and say the grocery store is ground zero for every recent infection in the country. What percentage of those infections do you think we’d see if everyone was wearing a mask and properly sanitized their items before use? 

Still boils down to people not taking the necessary precautions...i.e. not taking this seriously.

5 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

Duke is surging w covid admissions. Units are all filling up and spilling over to backup units. These are from the rise in activity around Mother’s Day. I’m not looking forward to seeing what it looks like in another week or two.

Talked to a neighbor this past weekend who is an ICU nurse at CMC. She told us that they had kinda leveled off but are once again packed to almost capacity with coronavirus patients. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

And where did their family member get it from?  That was always the concern...going out, contracting the Coronavirus, then coming back to their home and infecting their family members.  That's why this issue is so delicate and why half-measures don't cut it...you could have a mother, father, and daughter staying home during the lockdown and still getting infected cause the teenage son isn't taking it seriously and opting to sneak out with his neighborhood buddies.  Boom...all of their families are infected now.

I read an article on WBTV about a young lady who had it and she had been extra careful. Not leaving the house, wiping groceries and stuff down, really taking it seriously. They traced her case back to a debit card machine at a Walgreens. 

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I read an article on WBTV about a young lady who had it and she had been extra careful. Not leaving the house, wiping groceries and stuff down, really taking it seriously. They traced her case back to a debit card machine at a Walgreens. 

https://www.livescience.com/cdc-coronavirus-surfaces-update.html

The coronavirus 'does not spread easily' from touching surfaces or objects, CDC says

confused mr krabs GIF

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, GOAT said:

https://www.livescience.com/cdc-coronavirus-surfaces-update.html

The coronavirus 'does not spread easily' from touching surfaces or objects, CDC says

confused mr krabs GIF

What is your point? I’m just relaying info I read from someone who was very sick with the ‘Rona. 

you know as much as I do how dirty Americans are and for all we know she could have touched a keypad right after an asymptomatic person had just got done picking their nose or bootyhole. Another reason to keep hand sanitizer in your glovebox. 

• Poo 1

13 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

What is your point? I’m just relaying info I read from someone who was very sick with the ‘Rona. 

you know as much as I do how dirty Americans are and for all we know she could have touched a keypad right after an asymptomatic person had just got done picking their nose or bootyhole. Another reason to keep hand sanitizer in your glovebox. 

can't believe everything you read.

the media has gone mad with stories on this whole thing.

also, it's a positive development from the CDC.

10 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Okay sure...that doesn’t change anything. Let’s be as charitable as possible and say the grocery store is ground zero for every recent infection in the country. What percentage of those infections do you think we’d see if everyone was wearing a mask and properly sanitized their items before use? 

Still boils down to people not taking the necessary precautions...i.e. not taking this seriously.

Let's shut down the grocery stores and find out.  Anyone who is still going out to get things is part of the problem.  So unless you've hunkered down in your bunker full of supplies and don't go anywhere, its time to step down from your high horse.

In some alternate universe where we declare the grocery stores ground zero...no I don't think increasing the number of people wearing a mask in the grocery store is going to make a significant difference in the number of cases.  I think a mask, which lets be honest is more of just a casual face covering for most, is a "well its better than nothing" thing to do.  People have put way, way too much stock in face coverings.  We should still do it as a symbol and a courtesy, but let's stop pretending its something that its not.

Edited by Wes21
  • Poo 1

15 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Let's shut down the grocery stores and find out.  Anyone who is still going out to get things is part of the problem.  So unless you've hunkered down in your bunker full of supplies and don't go anywhere, its time to step down from your high horse.

In some alternate universe where we declare the grocery stores ground zero...no I don't think increasing the number of people wearing a mask in the grocery store is going to make a significant difference in the number of cases.  I think a mask, which lets be honest is more of just a casual face covering for most, is a "well its better than nothing" thing to do.  People have put way, way too much stock in face coverings.  We should still do it as a symbol and a courtesy, but let's stop pretending its something that its not.

Research on masks and Covid is starting to come in and it disagrees with you.

In short, they’re finding that universal mask wearing is more effective than lockdowns.

Hong Kong’s situation gives a lot of weight to that claim.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/21262273/coronavirus-hong-kong-masks-deaths-new-york

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/19/coronavirus-wearing-a-mask-can-reduce-transmission-by-75percent-new-study-claims.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/to-curb-the-coronavirus-hong-kong-shows-the-world-masks-work-11586338202

• Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Research on masks and Covid is starting to come in and it disagrees with you.

In short, they’re finding that universal mask wearing is more effective than lockdowns.

Hong Kong’s situation gives a lot of weight to that claim.

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/18/21262273/coronavirus-hong-kong-masks-deaths-new-york

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/19/coronavirus-wearing-a-mask-can-reduce-transmission-by-75percent-new-study-claims.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/to-curb-the-coronavirus-hong-kong-shows-the-world-masks-work-11586338202

Great, let's open everything up immediately and go back to life as normal...but wearing masks.  Clearly its like wearing a hazmat suit.