• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

Officials with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) are projecting a relaxation of social distancing will lead to a spike in COVID-19 cases by mid-summer. During a Zoom conference Monday, officials predicted that continued lax of social distancing guidelines to lower levels (45%) will lead to a surge of sick people that could exceed hospital capacity in the coming months. This model holds true even if implemented with mask wearing, increased case detection and isolation, and higher levels of social distancing by all older adults, officials said. They predict that in most scenarios, the next peak will be larger than the April peak.

The CDPHE said there is a continued need for social distancing of at least 65% of the population unless most people 60 years and older maintain high levels of social distancing as seen during the stay-at-home period (80%).

Officials also said they won't know the impact of the spread of the virus from recent large gatherings of people during protests for George Floyd for another two weeks.

Spoke to my friend who’s an ICU nurse today. Lots of unintended health consequences caused by Covid and related lockdowns. 

>hospital census at 60% or less. Nurses being furloughed.

>decreased surgery numbers to save hospital beds that were not needed.

>worsened amputations because of people waiting for surgery.

>Many surgical conditions worsened due to people waiting too long.

He told me about a guy who died from sepsis because he cut his hand and was too afraid to see a doc because of Covid. 

Apparently, we need a big public health push telling people they can go to the hospital for other things. Dumb, but sounds like it’s needed.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Spoke to my friend who’s an ICU nurse today. Lots of unintended health consequences caused by Covid and related lockdowns. 

He told me about a guy who died from sepsis because he cut his hand and was too afraid to see a doc because of Covid. 

Apparently, we need a big public health push telling people they can go to the hospital for other things. Dumb, but sounds like it’s needed.

Apparently, it is better to die from almost anything, than to die from Covid

14 hours ago, Tbe said:

Probably coded a COVID-19 death too since was somehow related.

As for the furloughs, yep, heard that from nurses too.  You would not believe the number of surgeries that are elective, it's a huge portion of the hospital surgeries.  Once elective surgeries were cancelled or delayed until deemed "safe", hospital staff had to be cut.   They have budgets to meet like any other business.

• Pie 1

20 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Probably coded a COVID-19 death too since was somehow related.

As for the furloughs, yep, heard that from nurses too.  You would not believe the number of surgeries that are elective, it's a huge portion of the hospital surgeries.  Once elective surgeries were cancelled or delayed until deemed "safe", hospital staff had to be cut.   They have budgets to meet like any other business.

Its not hospital related but related to furlough's.

I was working with a rep from a different company and all of a sudden he went out of touch in March.  Late last week he emailed me getting our projects back up and running again.  He explained that on a Friday at 2pm back in March they just walked up to him and told him he was on furlough...effective immediately.  Leave everything, and leave NOW!  WTH?  Talk about a bad way to handle it.

I was reading that stroke cases are down 40% nationwide. Docs believe people are ignoring symptoms to avoid hospitals. 

My friend was saying most of his ICU is Covid, which doesn’t make sense since it his Ward was almost always full from other types of patients before Covid. They’re all wondering where these other cases are (strokes, heart attacks, cancer surgery patients, etc).

He thinks they are going to start seeing a wave of really sick (non Covid) patients soon. People who didn’t seek care or didn’t get the amount of medical attention needed because of the focus on Covid.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/05/06/850454989/eerie-emptiness-of-ers-worries-doctors-where-are-the-heart-attacks-and-strokes

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Whelp! It's official. For the first time in 17 years I'm not gonna work.

All shows have been cancelled. I mean I'm lucky as fug that I wound up in a position where this isn't going to ruin us or anything. 

But still... Fug.

• Beer 2

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A huge downside from all the large gatherings to protest will be a major spike in COVID cases over the next two weeks.

There will be spikes because everyone is out acting like it never happen

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A huge downside from all the large gatherings to protest will be a major spike in COVID cases over the next two weeks.

Enormous gatherings of people in every major city standing shoulder-to-shoulder screaming at the top of their lungs in the midst of an incredibly contagious respiratory viral pandemic...what’s the worst that could happen?

I wholeheartedly support the protests and I can’t think of a better cause than fighting injustice, but damn if these protests aren’t damn near optimal conditions for the spread of the virus...

On 6/1/2020 at 11:09 AM, CRA said:

COVID19 is real.  It kills people.  All over the world.   It also is new.  

If COVID would have been a massively lethal virus? We would all be dead.  Because COVID highlighted just how horrific we handle actual pandemics in 2020.   

Wrong, it's a gigantic global conspiracy to make the President look bad.

Why just yesterday there was somebody wandering around my neighborhood asking if I had any family members who had died recently so they could code their deaths as COVID.  There are much more credible sources of information out there than the LAME (see what I did there) stream media, like this round man with a red face who sells supplements and yells a lot you should check out on YouTube.

Edited by The NFL Shield At Midfield
  • Pie 1
  • Poo 1

19 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The RNC convention is moving from Charlotte.  Politics aside, this will be a blow to the local economy already missing out on revenue from all the other cancelled events.  The new city and state has yet to be determined.

I don’t know if it will be a blow. Given the current climate with protests etc, Charlotte was probably looking at a huge mess in August. I think we dodged a bullet.

Odds are they move the convention to SC or TX. 

• Pie 2