• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

Don't you think it's time to move this thread? It hasn't served a purpose other than political debate for 2 months.

We are talking about cases and statistics and you casually stroll in here and bringing up politics and then ask for this thread to be moved?  Gtfo

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

We are talking about cases and statistics and you casually stroll in here and bringing up politics and then ask for this thread to be moved?  Gtfo

I agree, it has largely stayed on course.  It's verged off the road a few times with political mud slinging and managed to get back on track, but it's been mostly on topic directly relating COVID-19.  

Trust me, if it had permanently went down that rabbit hole, I would have seen myself out of the thread.  You can't have rational discussions with ideologues.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, panthers55 said:

The cases went down because we social distanced. As soon as we stop doing that it will go way back up. If you didn't notice that most folks still social distance and millions won't go out to eat at a restaurant because folks can't eat or drink and wear a mask. The old saw of heat kills the virus may be true to a small extent but this is the South and folks go inside to the air conditioning when it gets hot. So being inside will be the same in June as it will in January. There are 20 states where the infection rate is going up and many are in the south and west where it is hot already. Georgia and Florida are 2 of them and they were some of the first to open up.

I have been basically all over Michigan and Ohio for the past 2 months and you can pretty clearly see people are relaxing the social distancing, mask wearing, etc. Honestly, most people are just sort of over the whole thing. 

I suspect we are gonna see the cases jump very high, the infection rates skyrocket and basically end up with roughly the same result as if we had just simply done nothing at all. TBQH, looking at the way the virus has moved and some of the obvious economic damage to people that actually matter(small businesses and people who are now unemployed), we probably should have simply just done nothing anyway. But, that's probably a callous take. 

For myself, if it starts going in breakaway mode again, I'm not really going to go out of my way to actively avoid it. fug it, I've seen the statistics, I'll take my chances. I'm just really over all this and I think most people are starting to feel that way. 

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

NC reported new record of positive cases at 1.4k and 10% of tests coming back positive in last 24 hours.

Not a good trend.

People forget that with asymptomatic cases being up to 50% and another 30% being mild, it takes roughly 2 weeks for someone to get seriously sick and a few more days to die so honestly we will see a spike between now and 2 weeks from now accounting for the memorial day weekend. The protest spike won't be really seen for 2-3 weeks.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I have been basically all over Michigan and Ohio for the past 2 months and you can pretty clearly see people are relaxing the social distancing, mask wearing, etc. Honestly, most people are just sort of over the whole thing. 

I suspect we are gonna see the cases jump very high, the infection rates skyrocket and basically end up with roughly the same result as if we had just simply done nothing at all. TBQH, looking at the way the virus has moved and some of the obvious economic damage to people that actually matter(small businesses and people who are now unemployed), we probably should have simply just done nothing anyway. But, that's probably a callous take. 

For myself, if it starts going in breakaway mode again, I'm not really going to go out of my way to actively avoid it. fug it, I've seen the statistics, I'll take my chances. I'm just really over all this and I think most people are starting to feel that way. 

Especially younger, healthy people.  The thought is if they are going to get, might as well get it out of the way and if they don't get it...fantastic!  You saw that during spring break for college students when the mortality models were much more grim than they are now.

33 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Totally disagree. The point of social distancing was to keep what happened in Italy and New York from happening in the rest of the country. It was always about not overwhelming the hospitals which would have pushed the death rate from below 1% to closer to 3 or 4 %. And social distancing has done that. The attitude if not caring about anyone but yourself is a big reason why we have more cases than any other country. The whole I don't care anymore and I'll take my chances is a selfish attitude and reflects the current me versus we attitude which is huge part of the problem in this country. The fact many others are being selfish and self absorbed is hardly an adequate justification. So if I handed you a bag of m&Ms and said 3 were poisoned, would you be the first to eat one or would you let other guys eat them until 3 of them died and then eat with no worries?  

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Especially younger, healthy people.  The thought is if they are going to get, might as well get it out of the way and if they don't get it...fantastic!  You saw that during spring break for college students when the mortality models were much more grim than they are now.

And they brought the Corona back with them and caused many of the outbreaks 2 or 3 weeks later throughout the country especially since many didn't know they had it. The highest  number of positive tests were between the ages of 18 and 44 when I last checked and the asymptomatic folks are primarily responsible for spreading it. So yeah it might not kill you but young folks are most likely to be the Covid 19 version of Typhoid Mary.

So yeah I agree with you.

Edited by panthers55

30 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

People forget that with asymptomatic cases being up to 50% and another 30% being mild, it takes roughly 2 weeks for someone to get seriously sick and a few more days to die so honestly we will see a spike between now and 2 weeks from now accounting for the memorial day weekend. The protest spike won't be really seen for 2-3 weeks.

The Minnesota protests started 10 or 11 days ago. It’s been at least 7 days for other parts of the country. If it happens, we’ll start seeing it soon.

1 hour ago, Ja Rhule said:

NC reported new record of positive cases at 1.4k and 10% of tests coming back positive in last 24 hours.

Not a good trend.

Have to remember that they are now testing more and more people...many of the asymptomatic people and those with very minor symptoms are being found positive.  Weren’t testing like thus before.

inctease testing will show increased positives as 80% + of positive cases are asymptomatic.

14 minutes ago, MadHatter said:

Have to remember that they are now testing more and more people...many of the asymptomatic people and those with very minor symptoms are being found positive.  Weren’t testing like thus before.

inctease testing will show increased positives as 80% + of positive cases are asymptomatic.

Still most people getting tested is because they think they need to (possible contraction or symptomatic).  Perfectly healthy 'feeling' people are not getting tested to a large extent.  I know of two people that got tested recently only because they thought they may have caught it.  Both ended up negative, but the point is they were concerned enough to go.  I have yet to talk to anyone that has taken a test that has felt fine this entire time.  

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Still most people getting tested is because they think they need to (possible contraction or symptomatic).  Perfectly healthy 'feeling' people are not getting tested to a large extent.  I know of two people that got tested recently only because they thought they may have caught it.  Both ended up negative, but the point is they were concerned enough to go.  I have yet to talk to anyone that has taken a test that has felt fine this entire time.  

My point is that they now have the ability to test more people.  People who were not getting tested before are getting tested now.  Before, if you were not sick enough to need hospitalization, they were not testing you and told you to go home and self quarantine.  And I know several people who had that happen.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1