• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

It isn't just worrying about dying but also getting seriously sick which I am told is like suffocating slowly. As someone who scuba dives I have had that feeling a few times. I can't imagine feeling that way for days. And that is 20% of all people including folks of all ages.

I completely understand, but to most people it's worth the risk now.  People have weighed their options and to those that have excepted the risk, it's their choice.  For those that still want to shelter in place, that's their right as well.  I understand it's not a pleasant death, but most deaths aren't.  I imagine lung cancer patients experience a similar unpleasant experience.  That said, most were smokers and knew the dangers.  Inform, inform, inform, take precautions and move on.  People die all over the country every day, many for unnatural causes.  We can't 'baby-proof' the populace of America until every one of us dies of a natural death at a ripe old age.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly expect a poo ton of virtue signaling and posts by individuals and organizations alike in search of likes and reshares (and brand awareness marketing) but very little meaningful action taken.

poo, that is already rampant. A corporation is stupid not to jump on the bandwagon for the sake of PR. 

They don't really care, however. We all know it.

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly expect a poo ton of virtue signaling and posts by individuals and organizations alike in search of likes and reshares (and brand awareness marketing) but very little meaningful action taken.

We are kinda screwed.  Government has anointed themselves saviors for every situation in our lives and they fail, miserably, every single day.

And as you say, as long as people # something, they think they are doing their part to actually change hearts.  It is soooo self serving.  Everyone will do things that promote themselves or their cause during this coronavirus and racial crisis.  The government and the elections this fall is going to be the biggest 3 ring circus we have ever seen.

It will NOT change the hearts of the people, it is just not the way that kind of thing will work.  Common sense and empathy are rare these days, and when exhibited, scorned by those with agendas or political campaigns to win.

And one more thing, I think churches have dropped the ball big time.  There is not a more urgent time for heeling which the church is supposed to do, than now.  We should be worshiping, barbecuing, etc., and generally caring for each other, yet the distance keeps everyone from doing anything but accepting "others" opinions on each other.  "Those" people, no matter who those people are, should never be outsourced to Twitter, MSM, or pols.  THEY will want to form opinions based on their own agendas, Pub or Dem.

Social media is great in some senses and diabolical in others.

Edited by stirs
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, stirs said:

We are kinda screwed.  Government has anointed themselves saviors for every situation in our lives and they fail, miserably, every single day.

And as you say, as long as people # something, they think they are doing their part to actually change hearts.  It is soooo self serving.  Everyone will do things that promote themselves or their cause during this coronavirus and racial crisis.  The government and the elections this fall is going to be the biggest 3 ring circus we have ever seen.

It will NOT change the hearts of the people, it is just not the way that kind of thing will work.  Common sense and empathy are rare these days, and when exhibited, scorned by those with agendas or political campaigns to win.

Most people live in an echo chamber only wanting to hear things that reinforce their current beliefs.  Politicians are very good about reaffirming those beliefs by pandering to them in return for votes.  It couldn't be more evident by everything going on.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Most people live in an echo chamber only wanting to hear things that reinforce their current beliefs.  Politicians are very good about reaffirming those beliefs by pandering to them in return for votes.  It couldn't be more evident by everything going on.

Pols want votes. 

Issues are how they get votes.  A divisive issue is what they want, and at least they did not have to create this one, it is real.  And make no mistake, they do not want to solve it, they want to be needed.  D or R, will do the same crap just to have an audience.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Kinda getting off topic.  With COVID-19 (or anything else) just explore the information and make a decision based of it.  That's all you can do.  We have plenty of data now associated with this virus for people to make those informed decisions.  However, if they want to just read headlines and go off media sound bites, then they can remain in semi-permanent lock down indefinitely.  Media and social unrest are bed partners...normalcy is doesn't drive up viewership and lacks ample click-bait opportunities.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I completely understand, but to most people it's worth the risk now.  People have weighed their options and to those that have excepted the risk, it's their choice.  For those that still want to shelter in place, that's their right as well.  I understand it's not a pleasant death, but most deaths aren't.  I imagine lung cancer patients experience a similar unpleasant experience.  That said, most were smokers and knew the dangers.  Inform, inform, inform, take precautions and move on.  People die all over the country every day, many for unnatural causes.  We can't 'baby-proof' the populace of America until every one of us dies of a natural death at a ripe old age.

The question has never been baby proofing the populace. Opening up has never been in question either. Pitting the choice as one of two extremes is a popular way to justify ignoring government guidelines and going head long down a course that we already saw what happened.  It was always about how to open to maximize safety while allowing for the data to guide our decisions. Science over economics instead of the other way around.  No one is against reopening as long as it governed by reason and by listening to  the experts who make these kind of events their life's work.

Again, until deaths start going back up, I don't think the public will do anything but open more and more.   The protests are generally by folks who are from teens to 40s and not many will be adversely affected.   As long as they are careful with grandparents and are not working at rest homes.

Actually, as long as deaths are trending downward, would it not be smart for large numbers to continue to get the virus?

Edited by stirs

14 minutes ago, stirs said:

Again, until deaths start going back up, I don't think the public will do anything but open more and more.   The protests are generally by folks who are from teens to 40s and not many will be adversely affected.   As long as they are careful with grandparents and are not working at rest homes.

Actually, as long as deaths are trending downward, would it not be smart for large numbers to continue to get the virus?

Whether intended or unintended, new cases of the virus will continue.   Some think short of total heard immunity, continued transmission is on the knife's edge of a pending calamity.  The acceptability factor and more importantly the responsibility of future transmissions will be an ongoing debate.  I doubt you are going to find many individuals that are exactly on the same page.  You have the continued lock down folks, fully open up folks and a wide spectrum of opinions somewhere between.

• Beer 1

Several universities this week joined a growing list of schools reporting coronavirus cases within their athletic programs.

Arkansas State reported that seven athletes from three sports programs tested positive last Wednesday. They were all asymptomatic and will remain in quarantine for 14 days, the university said.
Three football players from Auburn University in Alabama tested positive, an Auburn athletics spokesperson confirmed to CNN. The three athletes are asymptomatic and have been placed in self-isolation in a dorm away from the rest of the team.
Marshall University and Oklahoma State University announced they've each had several athletes test positive. And Iowa State University reported one new case.
The new cases come after multiple reports surfaced last week that at least five players on the University of Alabama football team tested positive for the virus.

4 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

If Alabama and Auburn don't have football, the state of Alabama will burn to the ground. There is only so much incest that will keep the football fans at bay. You just think you've seen riots now....wait until Saban announces that the Tide won't be rolling in the fall.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

20 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wish I would have saved a meme I saw the other day about this.  It was basically a cookie cutter, fill in the blanks for corporate virtue signaling where they say words that sound good but they don't actually do anything.  As far as individuals, I have a cousin in Chicago who is an interesting character.  He doesn't "say all of the right things" like people want him to, so you'll see a ton of people get on his case.  But what's interesting is that he's highly involved in the community and even in getting legislation passed.  He a doer, not just a talker.  So its interesting watching him go back and forth with people on facebook, with people taking the virtue high ground on him...but they don't actually DO anything.  Just virtue signal all day.

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

I wish I would have saved a meme I saw the other day about this.  It was basically a cookie cutter, fill in the blanks for corporate virtue signaling where they say words that sound good but they don't actually do anything.  As far as individuals, I have a cousin in Chicago who is an interesting character.  He doesn't "say all of the right things" like people want him to, so you'll see a ton of people get on his case.  But what's interesting is that he's highly involved in the community and even in getting legislation passed.  He a doer, not just a talker.  So its interesting watching him go back and forth with people on facebook, with people taking the virtue high ground on him...but they don't actually DO anything.  Just virtue signal all day.

When you look at personality types, a lot of people are rule followers.

Rule followers are compelled to strictly adhere to these new social rules and to pressure others or be equally compliant, but they are not risk takers and will not take the lead to initiate change.