• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

With everyone starved for sports and sports news these days, a lot of you have probably already seen this on ESPN, but for those who haven't, figured it was well worth sharing. Patrick Peterson's wife is a doctor working on the front lines in Phoenix against the virus. Can't help but admire someone who could easily sit back with the wealth that comes from being married to an all pro performer and let others deal with the stress and risks, but Mrs. Peterson is using her talents as a doctor to help fight the pandemic. Kudos to her and all medical professionals working hard in unprecedented circumstances to fight the disease.

https://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/33211/antonique-peterson-wife-of-cardinals-star-cb-on-front-line-of-covid-19-response

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, stirs said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Seems like we have been averaging about 25k cases per day since late March.  So why are the deaths continuing to trend down?  Better medicine?  Already emptied a lot of the nursing homes?  Virus less deadly?

Daily cases vs Daily deaths

I don't know but willing to hazard a guess:

Perhaps lower mortality per infection was a benefit of all the efforts to flatten the curve. Medical systems are no longer overwhelmed like they were by the initial wave of infection and have had time to adapt and prepare for the caseload. The article I just posted about Patrick Peterson's wife has quotes from her discussing how treatment is a rapidly changing and evolving thing. I think it's probably safe to assume that the medical community as it learns about the virus is getting better at treating it and so we are losing fewer of those who contract it.

I'm a layman but if I had to guess I'd guess that a big part of it is the medical practices are becoming more effective.

42 minutes ago, stirs said:

Seems like we have been averaging about 25k cases per day since late March.  So why are the deaths continuing to trend down?  Better medicine?  Already emptied a lot of the nursing homes?  Virus less deadly?

administrative fraud mostly

1 hour ago, stirs said:

More younger people with lower risk of severe disease are testing positive. Last week, the average age e of positive tests in Florida was 37. Early on in testing it was 60+. That's largely because in early stages of testing you weren't getting tested unless you were in a high risk group or you were rich or famous. With testing more available now, lower risk groups are getting tested. Nothing has significantly changed genetically within the virus. They're watching that like a hawk.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

More younger people with lower risk of severe disease are testing positive. Last week, the average age e of positive tests in Florida was 37. Early on in testing it was 60+. That's largely because in early stages of testing you weren't getting tested unless you were in a high risk group or you were rich or famous. With testing more available now, lower risk groups are getting tested. Nothing has significantly changed genetically within the virus. They're watching that like a hawk.

Exactly and why it looked so grim early on.  That didn't keep the brainless media from running with the narrative though.  Most realistic people acknowledge this virus spreads easily and is very contagious.  However, the way the media sensationalized the early death rate, willingly or ignorantly, infuriated me.  It was very obvious the disease was taking the toll on the weakest of the population (elderly and/or compromised immune systems) and those were basically the only ones tested initially.  So an elderly person comes into the hospital displaying symptoms, gets tested and then later dies...right there is 1:1 ratio.  Until testing began in earnest besides people being admitted to hospitals and folks in nursing homes, the death rates were always going to be high.

• Pie 1

Spoke with an ER Dr. yesterday. She said cases were going up but so far the hospital is managing it well. What she did confirm was something that all of us suspected but is rarely talked about: the number of patients coming in who are victims of domestic abuse has soared. Suicide attempts have also jumped in past 3-4 months. So many wounds and injuries are from family members or self inflicted. Heart wrenching to hear. I'm sure the rest of the country/world has similar stories.

Edited by Murph

21 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Hospitalizations increased by almost 90 in a week. What data are you using. 

I just read the link in his post. It said hospitalizations were up by 12 since Friday. 

Now that link says hospitalizations are down by 38.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1