• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

4 hours ago, LegioX said:

Mask do not do anything to prevent you from getting it. They are only for people who already have it. 

all I can say is, this government shutdown of the economy cannot be sustained for much longer. You cannot shut down the economy for a virus like this. Would tank the economy to levels we have never seen. 

Depends on the type of mask.  No doubt the masks you buy in the drug store don't help, but certain types of masks help.  Novant health had a screening area set up in front of one of their offices I drove by Friday, and all the screeners were wearing masks, gloves, head covers etc...  They must do some good for the people wearing them.

I really wish I had one of the old mark V gas masks that we used in the Navy.  

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

For sure, it's going to be a very stressful and exhausting time, most likely.

That's a fair criticism. I am just trying to alleviate the panic mode because it's not helpful. Numbers and statistics make me calmer because I can see them and relate them. 

i just want to say that you're not alleviating anything.  you may think you are, but that's not the result of what you're up to. what you are doing is drawing conclusions constantly from things i know you don't quite understand (none of us fully do), and acting like nothing is a big deal. and now you've gone into whataboutism.  you're experiencing cognitive dissonance.   its ok.  everyone reacts differently to heightened states of awareness.  you have no idea how bad this is, or will get.  that's the truth.   we're all in the same boat together.   well except the super rich who are trying to buy ventilators and reserve hospital beds (yes this is happening).  we're not in the same boat with them.   anyway.  love you brother.

• Beer 1

I do wonder at what point they decide to relax restrictions, allow the restaurants, bars, etc... to re-open.  At some point, the economic damage may end up being worse than the damage from the flu.  I don't know what that point will be, but if people start losing homes/apartments/means of travel, its going to be hard to quarantine.  I think we could survive a couple of months of restrictions, but after that, things will get bad.  

17 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I do wonder at what point they decide to relax restrictions, allow the restaurants, bars, etc... to re-open.  At some point, the economic damage may end up being worse than the damage from the flu.  I don't know what that point will be, but if people start losing homes/apartments/means of travel, its going to be hard to quarantine.  I think we could survive a couple of months of restrictions, but after that, things will get bad.  

You can't weigh the value of a person's life, so loss of life can't be measured against economic loss, but putting deaths aside, I fully expect the economic damage to far outweigh the pure illness damage in terms of quantifiable costs. I would expect the government to likely mandate forbearance on mortgages and eliminate evictions during the crisis. If it goes beyond more than a few months of restrictions, you're right, that's gonna get really messy in all liklihood.

9 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

You can't weigh the value of a person's life, so loss of life can't be measured against economic loss, but putting deaths aside, I fully expect the economic damage to far outweigh the pure illness damage in terms of quantifiable costs. I would expect the government to likely mandate forbearance on mortgages and eliminate evictions during the crisis. If it goes beyond more than a few months of restrictions, you're right, that's gonna get really messy in all liklihood.

I agree with you.  I just hope this thing burns itself out in a month or so, or the damage to the economy could end up being devastating.  

1 minute ago, philit99 said:

Man Italy reported another 793 dead. I hope we can change the curve for us or this country will report similar numbers.

6500 new cases today. If their new cases don't level off over the next 3-4 days, then something is off. Either their testing, their control of the lockdown, or this thing has a lot longer potential incubation period than thought because the math says they should peak  in the next few days.

7 minutes ago, philit99 said:

Mecklenburg County now reporting 77 cases, Durham County reporting 39, and Wake County reporting 33. Mecklenburg County jumped up quickly, that’s not encouraging.

None of this is surprising. We've already seen how this has played out across the world. The countries that successfully avoided the worst case scenarios took aggressive EARLY action. A lot of them were countries that got hit hard by SARS and they were better a lot better prepared because of it. We're starting to get semi-aggressive nearly two months after our first cases. This thing is almost certainly widespread at this point.