• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

Just now, MickMixon'sMetaphors said:

I work for an investment manager uptown.  My company has cancelled all travel and sends out communiques every few days.

Sorry if someone already said it, but I think more than the death rate, it's about disruption.  If 50% of my office calls in sick <multiplied by every other company in the area, US, the world>, then productivity grinds to a halt.  Whether people are dying or not is not the issue.  If all that productivity grinds to a halt, then we will enter into a major recession/depression. 

It's better to take true preemptive measures, even if overdone, to prevent that from happening.

It's gonna hurt in the meantime economically but I think we'll see one helluva boom on the other side of this.

One thing I find interesting is Hong Kong and Singapore's success at containing this. They did a great job taking aggressive early measures but I also wonder if weather has a big impact on this. There has been a lot of speculation that this spread will naturally tails off in the summer as temps and humidity rises because that's often the case with these things. Could HK and Singapore lend credibility to that theory? It'll be interesting to see how things go in the southern hemisphere. That'll tell us if we'll catch a break in the summer. 

Please guys, be safe.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

I'm from Italy, and I've read and heard the same no-sense stuffs from a lot of civilians, politicians and media guys around here for the past few weeks.

But as of right now, we're in total healthcare emergency and are allowed to leave our homes only for emergencies, basic supplies and for going to work (catering and restaurant, offices, non basic commerce are all shutdown).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

Like what was said earlier the virus will take it's course fizzle out soon enough. There was a guy(likely in his late 40's/early 50's) that was diagnosed with it and he commented on the virus saying if he would have known it was going to be this mild he would have went back to work.

Yes it is mild for some people. It is also excruciating for others. And we don't know the mortality rate.

Terrible take.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I dont think it will be cancelled but maybe the event will be. Might just be a phone in event that you can still watch on TV

Depends on how serious things get over the next week or so. It could quite possibly just be teams calling players at home. No televised event at all. 

27 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

One thing I find interesting is Hong Kong and Singapore's success at containing this. They did a great job taking aggressive early measures but I also wonder if weather has a big impact on this. There has been a lot of speculation that this spread will naturally tails off in the summer as temps and humidity rises because that's often the case with these things. Could HK and Singapore lend credibility to that theory? It'll be interesting to see how things go in the southern hemisphere. That'll tell us if we'll catch a break in the summer. 

So how has the United States' response been?

"Our response is much, much worse than almost any other country that's been affected," Jha says.

He uses the words "stunning," "fiasco" and "mind-blowing" to describe how bad it is.

"And I don't understand it," he says incredulously. "I still don't understand why we don't have extensive testing. Vietnam! Vietnam has tested more people than America has."

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/12/814522489/singapore-wins-praise-for-its-covid-19-strategy-the-u-s-does-not?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR2rCOBiwh1gLkoiR1NlAEfUJYqQfGrv-ciu7R0B3JL4KrQh2JiiojGiqes

• Pie 1

This sort of thing sells newspapers and engenders clicks. But it doesn’t make us any safer and it doesn’t actually convey the scope of the disease in the United States. It also doesn’t note that COVID-19 is far less deadly than the flu in the United States.

• Flames 1
  • Poo 3

13 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

This sort of thing sells newspapers and engenders clicks. But it doesn’t make us any safer and it doesn’t actually convey the scope of the disease in the United States. It also doesn’t note that COVID-19 is far less deadly than the flu in the United States.

Thanks for the update, Dr Pepper. 

• Poo 1