• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

As I said, the podcast doc said up to 480,000 by his calculations.  He had charts and graphs---can't argue with charts and graphs.  Agian, not sure if it was globally or nationally--but since he was comparing the numbers to the flu--I am guessing high end of the US.

A doctor/expert on one news channel (I watch them all, unlike some) said that he could see 150,000,000 people in the US diagnosed with the virus.  If true, and the mortality rate is (making this up) 1/50th of that number, that still means 3 million---a bit higher that 30,000 flu deaths per year.  I doubt nearly half the nation contracts the virus, however.  I think that was a bit Chicken Little

if 10 million get it, that's 1.5 million that will need hospitalization.   we don't have that many beds.   there are other medical needs also.  like someone said - 37% of nurses have kids at home... i mean talk about compounding interest

5 minutes ago, trueblade said:

My Mom is elderly and has COPD. I'm trying to not freak out.

This is how Charleston's handling testing. My friend did a Virtual MUSC visit; they said due to the limited supply of testing, only international travelers & associating with known infected could be tested.

The good thing, so far, is that our rates of people with symptoms that are tested, are only 4% positive.  96% of people w symptoms are negative.

Of course that is only a snapshot.

Canned goods, dried goods, etc and eating at home if they can is best.  Limit the visitors if possible, good hygiene, and basic common sense is best.  Like I said early in this thread, we are more computer savvy than our parents and grandparents, so it falls to us to look out for them.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, stirs said:

The good thing, so far, is that our rates of people with symptoms that are tested, are only 4% positive.  96% of people w symptoms are negative.

Of course that is only a snapshot.

Canned goods, dried goods, etc and eating at home if they can is best.  Limit the visitors if possible, good hygiene, and basic common sense is best.  Like I said early in this thread, we are more computer savvy than our parents and grandparents, so it falls to us to look out for them.

and shop for them, or get a friend to in a larger city if you can't.  i was reading this morning about people taking things out of elderly peoples carts at the store

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

As I said, the podcast doc said up to 480,000 by his calculations.  He had charts and graphs---can't argue with charts and graphs.  Agian, not sure if it was globally or nationally--but since he was comparing the numbers to the flu--I am guessing high end of the US.

A doctor/expert on one news channel (I watch them all, unlike some) said that he could see 150,000,000 people in the US diagnosed with the virus.  If true, and the mortality rate is (making this up) 1/50th of that number, that still means 3 million---a bit higher that 30,000 flu deaths per year.  I doubt nearly half the nation contracts the virus, however.  I think that was a bit Chicken Little

So many times, I move away from people on news stations, even the "experts" as I can no longer trust them.  They are trying to sell for their advertisers and gain audience share.  Right and left, both are working for audience share for dollars.  Same with weather channels.  I have just started going to "charts and graphs" as you say.

The world has just gotten to 6k deaths today.  The worlds most populous country seems to be over the worst of their issues.  So if just the numbers and watching them, it actually gives me hope, moreso that talking heads on TV shows, haha.  They scare the crap out of me.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Just now, stirs said:

The worlds most populous country seems to be over the worst of their issues. 

https://time.com/5796425/china-coronavirus-lockdown/

None of the western countries put up the restrictions China did for the past 2 months. Also, a lot of dead are from the Hubei region, of which Wuhan is the capital. The army locked down that region

57 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I’m a frequent watcher of Joe Rogan so I saw that interview the moment it came up.
A lot of people are social distancing and they’re shutting down schools and travel. Those are good things. Trump did it about 3 weeks too late but it’s better late than never. Drive by testing needs to ramp up ASAP. 

i don’t think we’ll see 150 million people contract it but it will be a lot. But the worry should be overloading our hospitals. People will die not just from the virus but other ICU reasons because they can’t get treatment. People blowing this off as an old people virus need to look at what’s happening in other countries. 50% of ICU in France is under 50. That is alarming. Especially with Americans having a lot of underlying health conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, etc. in Italy they had to respirate a 16 year old kid.

Everyone needs to try to do their part and social distance. What we have done so far is good and will help in the future but people need to do their part and not be psychopaths like poster AceBoogie. The quicker we do this, the quicker we go back to normal life. 

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 2

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A vaccine is likely a ways off. Like over a year ways off. The best bet sooner is an effective anti-viral, basically a COVID-19 version of Tamiflu. There are some promising ones out there, 

Yup I’ve been reading HIV meds have been very successful in Japan and Thailand.

• Pie 2

We will get through this. I hope this is a big solidarity moment for America. You already see people in more advantageous situations helping less fortunate people. That needs to continue. Donate to your local charities, food drives, ect. The stronger the less fortunate of us are the better the country will be.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1