• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

24 minutes ago, Al Morgan said:

Problem is, that nobody really knows how this virus attacks. We've already seen healthy guys in their 40s die, here in Italy.
@Danish Panther please be safe man. 3k more positives here today. From the stats, 124k have been tested so far.
Meanwhile, in the UK, nobody is taking any precautions, no event has been canceled...

It is known how it attacks and it is not an airborne virus unless one runs into a person coughing or sneezing but a come in close physical contact one according to NYU Langone Health.

23 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

Don't know if it was you or someone else posted a pic of the gov of Oklahoma, but that right there is the problem we are facing.  Idiots that have been voted into office leading people to their deaths and people too ill informed or too gd stupid to realize it.  The thing that pisses me off about it the most is they are basically endangering millions of folks with their bs.  When the dust settles from this some day, I hope they are brought up on charges.

Agree. This is why we need the federal government to make some more definitive decrees.

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

It is known how it attacks and it is not an airborne virus unless one runs into a person coughing or sneezing but a come in close physical contact one according to NYU Langone Health.

I wasn't refering to how it's transmitted, but how it interacts with the human body. Very little is known and nobody can tell for sure who can be considered an "healthy person", related to the virus

59 minutes ago, Danish Panther said:

Thanks @Al Morgan. We danes talk a lot about you guys down there, and follow the reports from espacialy Lombardy region. Just devastating to follow... However, incredible inspiring to see Italian people standing together and trying to keep up their good spirits by singing opera and so on from their balconys, in this very, very, sad time for the country.

UK ??? Just mind blowing approach. Heck, a dane just won All England Badminton tournament today. Noone here is talking about his victory - those who are, is all like "WTF - was this not cancelled?"

Take care and stay safe down there - hope you are very close to the tipping point...

I live 20 mins from Milan, but in my town we have really few cases. But people in Bergamo, about 30 mins of highway from here, said they are "living between coffins". It's unreal. People there think they have already reached the peak of it, but for the rest of the country, I think it's just the beginning (and we've been in soft lockdown for the past 7 days) 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

Agree. This is why we need the federal government to make some more definitive decrees.

Unfortunately the following snippets from a story in Washpo show what an absolute shitshow the fedgovt that is making the decisions is.  The woman who wrote here first hand account is a former senior analyst with the RAND Corporation and has written about health systems in post-conflict environments.

Like thousands of Americans and Europeans scrambling to get to the United States before the travel ban went into effect and flights were canceled, I flew back to the United States from Vienna on Friday. Arriving at Dulles International Airport via London, I encountered a case study in how to spread a pandemic.

I had thought I was lucky to get one of the last seats home. And I was confident, because Dulles had been identified by the administration as one of the handful of U.S. airports equipped to test arriving passengers and admit or quarantine them accordingly, that I would find a rigorous protocol in place upon arrival. Obviously, the administration would not take such a momentous step without solid preparation.

I could not have been more wrong. Upon landing, I spent three hours in a jammed immigration hall trying to decide which analogy fit better: the ignorant Middle Ages during the plague years or the most chaotic airport in the least developed country.

The pictures you may have seen only begin to capture the chaos. There was no attempt to enable social distancing; we were packed closely together. Two giant queues of people — one for U.S. citizens and green-card holders and one for foreign nationals — wound their way through the cavernous hall. I counted and came up with approximately 450 people in each section, for a total of just under a thousand. Many were coughing, sneezing and looking unwell.

When I inched closer to the front, I could see that a scant six immigration desks were in service. Two additional desks to the left had less traffic. These are ordinarily for people in wheelchairs; now, the wheelchairs were mixed in with the rest. When I asked a security guard about the other lines, he told me they were for people with a confirmed corona diagnosis. There was no separation for this group — no plastic sheets, not even a bit of distance. When your line snaked to the left, you were inches away from the infected.

I recently flew to Qatar for a meeting. Immediately upon disembarking, passengers walked past a temperature measuring device to identify those with a fever, so they could be segregated out before entering public areas. Dulles had no such plan. Instead, after the agent examined your passport, he pointed a thermometer device at your forehead. By that time, you would have spent three hours in close contact with hundreds of other people. Even the way the lines were organized, snaking around, might have been designed to ensure that one sick person would expose the maximum number of others.

more

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/03/15/chaos-dulles-airport-shows-how-not-handle-pandemic/

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, stirs said:

A question from left field here, just thinking out loud.

Knowing that the virus is pretty minimally troubling to people in their 30's, would it be a good idea, or would it have been a good idea, for the military to purposefully infect those with very good health, so that when they are over it, they would no longer be susceptible and be able to fill in for nursing and police forces, etc.

My wife says I am crazy, she probably right

It's a horrible idea. While the death rate is much lower in that population, it is still substantial. Lots of reports from China and a few from Italy of young healthy physicians becoming critically ill and dying, many from what appears to be a delayed myocarditis-like illness. In France fully half of their critically ill patients are young and middle aged (under 60). Being young and healthy is a relative, not absolute, protective factor here.

7 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Heres a good website-

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Updated hourly and full of information 

It's in this thread a dozen times.  Yes, a great website

US a bit less than 1.8 as far as death rate.  About half currently of what was being talked about.  Could go way up, but also could come way down.  Key is good practices and protecting the groups we know already, are going to be vulnerable.

Love to know what Germany is doing, they are doing a great job so far

Edited by stirs

13 minutes ago, stirs said:

It's in this thread a dozen times.  Yes, a great website

US a bit less than 1.8 as far as death rate.  About half currently of what was being talked about.  Could go way up, but also could come way down.  Key is good practices and protecting the groups we know already, are going to be vulnerable.

Love to know what Germany is doing, they are doing a great job so far

Germany have over 1,200 new cases... whatcha talking about?

5 minutes ago, Ja Rhule said:

Germany have over 1,200 new cases... whatcha talking about?

Only one death last time I read. They have one of the best If not the best healthcare systems in the world. This is why in America it could get scary. Our healthcare system is horrid

Edited by TheRumGone
  • Pie 2