• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

you guys are talking about these open air markets on the other side of the world when the thing that's really going to fug us up is literally growing in eastern north carolina

all those huge pig farms with thousands of heads of hog milling about in piss and poo and being pumped full of antibiotics are ground zero for the next hideous bacteria to get out.

And the best part about whatever comes out of there? It will already be resistant to antibiotics. 

You know what people eat when the economy melts down? Pork, and lots of it. 

Hopefully we're not in a recess-OH poo

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

lot of scientist suggest global warming will be the cause of the future virus problems we face.  Things being unlocked that haven't been seen in thousands of years that today's man won't react kindly too. 

That is just a theory. It wouldn't matter if global warming "unlocked" dormant plagues of ages ago, viruses and bacteria continue to adapt and evolve the same way almost all other life forms do on this planet. There isn't anything crazy or supernatural about these kind of events. Within our lifetimes we have seen viral and bacterial epidemics that have killed scores of people. Within the last 150 years outbreaks have killed hundreds of thousands or more people in a single spread. It's just the way that it is. Sticking your head in the sand is just as counterproductive as freaking out. Just accept the reality, take the necessary and REASONABLE precautions and move on with life. Hold your leaders accountable when they are so unbelievably ill prepared.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, Bronn said:

It ain't real until they start closing down Wal-Mart and Chick Fil A!

https://www.wfla.com/news/national/chick-fil-a-temporarily-closes-dining-room-seating-over-coronavirus-concerns/

They just couldn't "my pleasure" their way out of this one!

You'd think god would want his favorite fast food chain to not suffer such a financial catastrophe.

5 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

you guys are talking about these open air markets on the other side of the world when the thing that's really going to fug us up is literally growing in eastern north carolina

all those huge pig farms with thousands of heads of hog milling about in piss and poo and being pumped full of antibiotics are ground zero for the next hideous bacteria to get out.

And the best part about whatever comes out of there? It will already be resistant to antibiotics. 

It is definitely a risk but American meat producers haven't been responsible for widespread transmission of this kind of virus to my knowledge. We have had our bouts with things like e. coli and salmonella in meat products but I cannot recall any large outbreaks like we are seeing from Asia in recent decades. I imagine that largely relates to having far more stringent regulations(although not up to the Europeans standards).

11 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Antibiotics are useless against any virus and don't work at all against them anyway.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

There was a question asked on SiriusXM Doctor Radio on the Covid19 virus.

What are people more in fear of between the virus or being quarantined?

This may be a good question.

I am more concerned about quarantine than the virus. That is going to cause the panic to spread and the world economies to start crashing at an even more increasing rate. If we see a worldwide economic collapse, that will cause far greater harm to human lives than this virus ever will, IMHO. But, I suppose that is easy to say since the US has yet to see any real dramatic impacts from the virus. I would imagine the Chinese and Italians have quite a different perspective.

9 hours ago, electro's horse said:

so i don't think anything "the media" is doing is fear mongering. in fact, i think all the major cable news networks are vastly underplaying this. 

The owners of the media companies have lost billions of dollars due to this virus. I don't think they are enjoying the coverage very much. 

Since there is a lot of talking about the incredibly high death rate here in Italy, compared to other countries, I asked one of my best friend who is a doctor and a book-smart the why of it.

Just for reference, I texted him on 23rd Feb (we had about 100 positives at the time), and he said that even if Italy took the harshest counter-measures of all EU, those weren't enough and that the virus was a lot more dangerous than what the authorities were telling us.

Yesterday, answering my question, he said that deaths here are labeled as "CoViD deaths" just because the patient tested positive to CoViD, not because he died from it. And he implied that in other western countries, this is not the case (he cited Germany, as having an healthcare similar to ours in terms of quality and average age, but just a bunch of death compared to ours).
I've got to admit that even if sometimes we're a mess of a country, our communication regards the virus has limpid

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

That is just a theory. It wouldn't matter if global warming "unlocked" dormant plagues of ages ago, viruses and bacteria continue to adapt and evolve the same way almost all other life forms do on this planet. There isn't anything crazy or supernatural about these kind of events. Within our lifetimes we have seen viral and bacterial epidemics that have killed scores of people. Within the last 150 years outbreaks have killed hundreds of thousands or more people in a single spread. It's just the way that it is. Sticking your head in the sand is just as counterproductive as freaking out. Just accept the reality, take the necessary and REASONABLE precautions and move on with life. Hold your leaders accountable when they are so unbelievably ill prepared.

Lot of science is just...theories. 

Much easier to aggressively attack something that evolved (but was known by us)....than a completely new strain from the past.

3 minutes ago, Al Morgan said:

Since there is a lot of talking about the incredibly high death rate here in Italy, compared to other countries, I asked one of my best friend who is a doctor and a book-smart the why of it.

Just for reference, I texted him on 23rd Feb (we had about 100 positives at the time), and he said that even if Italy took the harshest counter-measures of all EU, those weren't enough and that the virus was a lot more dangerous than what the authorities were telling us.

Yesterday, answering my question, he said that deaths here are labeled as "CoViD deaths" just because the patient tested positive to CoViD, not because he died from it. And he implied that in other western countries, this is not the case (he cited Germany, as having an healthcare similar to ours in terms of quality and average age, but just a bunch of death compared to ours).
I've got to admit that even if sometimes we're a mess of a country, our communication regards the virus has limpid

Italy also experiences high mortality rates due to influenza because they have a very aging population, the second largest portion of their population is 65 and older. 

When you dig a little deeper into the story, it's pretty clear why Italy is having these issues.

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Lot of science is just...theories. 

Much easier to aggressively attack something that evolved (but was known by us)....than a completely new strain from the past.

AIDS was unknown to us, as was Ebola or Hanta virus. We will adapt and survive, even if scores perish. That's just life. 

To paraphrase the great philosopher Lil' Dicky, "We go hard on Earth."

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

AIDS was unknown to us, as was Ebola or Hanta virus. We will adapt and survive, even if scores perish. That's just life. 

To paraphrase the great philosopher Lil' Dicky, "We go hard on Earth."

I mean, I’m not saying we won’t adapt and deal with it all.  

But it is one do many examples of why global warming matters. Likely risking folks to new/old disease out of greed and laziness