• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

1% of 150 million people is not significant to me. There are roughly 8 billion people on this planet. Anything shy of about 10-15% mortality rate I do not find PERSONALLY significant(this is my personal opinion and I am very sure not shared by many). Especially when that rate does not happen in my demographic.

People are also flocking to ICU's because they are very scared about this pandemic. Even people without this virus at all are because they are SCARED. Why do you think I am preaching to be reasonable? I have a stuffed up nose and a little bit of a scratchy throat, should I book it down to the ER to get tested because it's coronavirus or maybe look at the vehicle outside covered in pollen and just take an educated guess which is more likely the cause?

I am also hoping that I am right, I personally BELIEVE I will be correct and I don't want to see spikes in mortality rates. I don't believe are healthcare system is on the verge of collapsing, although it could be if undue panic spreads(and why in the world would people flock to one of the highest risk areas for infection like THE HOSPITAL??). Why do you think I keep preaching the need for being levelheaded? If panic spreads rapidly then you really are going to see widespread issues with the healthcare system. As it turns out(yet most Americans refuse to believe), we DON'T have a great healthcare system in this country. 

Again, be CAUTIOUS, don't be STUPID, but don't PANIC either. Neither of those two is going to be helpful.

Im talking about in the US not the world, 150 million infections. Some scientists have thrown that number based on how highly contagious this virus is. I don’t think it’ll get to that point based on the precautions we’ve taken so far worth shutting down of schools and social stuff but it’s still gonna be a fug ton of people.

im looking at places like Italy to happen in pockets of America, especially large cities. That would be catastrophic imo. 

most of us are levelheaded, we’re just not downplaying the seriousness of it. 

and yes we have a horrid healthcare system which is why I could see it collapsing and the death rate going up because they can’t keep up. That’s why death rate is so high in Italy. They don’t have the resources. Now imagine that happening in 100-200 cities across the US. That is insane imo. 

7 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Im talking about in the US not the world, 150 million infections. Some scientists have thrown that number based on how highly contagious this virus is. I don’t think it’ll get to that point based on the precautions we’ve taken so far worth shutting down of schools and social stuff but it’s still gonna be a fug ton of people.

im looking at places like Italy to happen in pockets of America, especially large cities. That would be catastrophic imo. 

and yes we have a horrid healthcare system which is why I could see it collapsing and the death rate going up because they can’t keep up. That’s why death rate is so high in Italy. They don’t have the resources. Now imagine that happening in 100-200 cities across the US. That is insane imo. 

Yeah, NYC is already a hotspot. That's pretty much a worst case scenario with this thing breaking out like wildfire in a VERY heavily populated area. 

Funny story. A client just got back from Walmart. All the frozen microwaveable and heat and serve foods are heavily picked over or gone. Raw meats, fruits and vegetables are in abundance. Instant rice and other stuff gone, regular foods that need some prep are still there. It looks like the rumors are true, a lot of this country has forgotten how to cook.

• Flames 1

Just now, Murph said:

Funny story. A client just got back from Walmart. All the frozen microwaveable and heat and serve foods are heavily picked over or gone. Raw meats, fruits and vegetables are in abundance. Instant rice and other stuff gone, regular foods that need some prep are still there. It looks like the rumors are true, a lot of this country has forgotten how to cook.

Guy was buying up propane tanks yesterday like he was going to lose power any minute

5 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Catastrophic in what way? In the largest single loss of life in the US due to an epidemic(roughly 500k in 1918 to Spanish flu). That was roughly 0.4% of the US population(which the math works roughly out the same at the 1.5 mil deaths @ a population of 327.2 mil). We didn't collapse as a country. 

It would be horrible, without question. But it only will destroy the country if we DO panic and lose our minds. If we tank the economy and start acting like animals, it will get far worse. And no, the death rate is higher in Italy because of the demographics. Italy has a very large older population and that is the overwhelming majority of the deaths. Again, this is why I keep saying look at the statistics from these countries. The statistics are going to give you an idea of what to expect here. 

• Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Murph said:

3 minutes ago, stirs said:

Guy was buying up propane tanks yesterday like he was going to lose power any minute

And this is why I keep harping on the statistics and keep saying to be calm and reasonable. I absolutely DESPISE to agree with anything our current leader said but when he relayed that message from the grocery industry about not hoarding, he was 100% correct. If you freak out and act like it's the end of the world, that panic spreads much faster than this disease does. Reference other panic incidents recently(gas shortages due to Katrina come to mind). 

Logically there is not a reason to panic at the moment. There are ample reasons to be aware, be cautious and use common sense. 

• Poo 1

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Catastrophic in what way? In the largest single loss of life in the US due to an epidemic(roughly 500k in 1918 to Spanish flu). That was roughly 0.4% of the US population(which the math works roughly out the same at the 1.5 mil deaths @ a population of 327.2 mil). We didn't collapse as a country. 

It would be horrible, without question. But it only will destroy the country if we DO panic and lose our minds. If we tank the economy and start acting like animals, it will get far worse. And no, the death rate is higher in Italy because of the demographics. Italy has a very large older population and that is the overwhelming majority of the deaths. Again, this is why I keep saying look at the statistics from these countries. The statistics are going to give you an idea of what to expect here. 

I’m talking about the healthcare system collapsing, not society in general. You are forgetting how many more deaths there will be strictly because the hospitals are overloaded. People don’t stop going to the ER for other reasons outside of this Virus. Flu season is still happening. People will die and not just because of this particular virus. You stretch workers too thin, some will quit, most are gonna get infected at some point. Some will die. If our hospitals collapse deaths are gonna be off the charts with people not being able to be saved. Those numbers will more than likely not be counted towards the coronavirus death rate but it will be significant. That’s why some people are getting very worried in general more so than any other new infectious disease. This is just spreading so damn quickly.

if you know any healthcare workers talk to them. They are terrified right now.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

And this is why I keep harping on the statistics and keep saying to be calm and reasonable. I absolutely DESPISE to agree with anything our current leader said but when he relayed that message from the grocery industry about not hoarding, he was 100% correct. If you freak out and act like it's the end of the world, that panic spreads much faster than this disease does. Reference other panic incidents recently(gas shortages due to Katrina come to mind). 

Logically there is not a reason to panic at the moment. There are ample reasons to be aware, be cautious and use common sense. 

How can you apply this logic to this situation and then get all offended when people start talking the political/societal impacts of wealth hoarding and the US not having M4A?

1 minute ago, TheRumGone said:

I’m talking about the healthcare system collapsing, not society in general. You are forgetting how many more deaths there will be strictly because the hospitals are overloaded. People don’t stop going to the ER for other reasons outside of this Virus. Flu season is still happening. People will die and not just because of this particular virus. You stretch workers too thin, some will quit, most are gonna get infected at some point. Some will die. If our hospitals collapse deaths are gonna be off the charts with people not being able to be saved. Those numbers will more than likely not be counted towards the coronavirus death rate but it will be significant. That’s why some people are getting very worried in general more so than any other new infectious disease. This is just spreading so damn quickly.

if you know any healthcare workers talk to them. They are terrified right now.

Yes, it is a real risk. But that is why I continue to spread the statistics that I do and try and reason with people(moreso in person). We can't overload this already stressed healthcare system with people panicking about this virus. Additionally, we need to be taking the proactive measures that other countries are and setting up testing basically EVERYWHERE. That will keep a lot of BS out of the hospitals and it will put people's minds at ease. 

You are correct that this could spiral out of control very easily. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

2 minutes ago, stirs said:

Give us time to ponder your depth before we respond

Tinderbox is missing you.  Someone needs insulting, hurry, run

Oh, I'm sorry. I should have posted some useless snarky link about people running out of toilet paper.

Again: STFU, Chud. You contribute relatively nothing to these forums. Especially after we ran you off the Tinderbox.