• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

4 minutes ago, Bronn said:

How can you apply this logic to this situation and then get all offended when people start talking the political/societal impacts of wealth hoarding and the US not having M4A?

Wait....what?? When have I ever engaged in either of those discussions? You sure you don't have me mixed up with someone else?

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Just now, TheRumGone said:

I’m talking about the healthcare system collapsing, not society in general. You are forgetting how many more deaths there will be strictly because the hospitals are overloaded. People don’t stop going to the ER for other reasons outside of this Virus. Flu season is still happening. People will die and not just because of this particular virus. You stretch workers too thin, some will quit, most are gonna get infected at some point. Some will die. If our hospitals collapse deaths are gonna be off the charts with people not being able to be saved. Those numbers will more than likely not be counted towards the coronavirus death rate but it will be significant. That’s why some people are getting very worried in general more so than any other new infectious disease. This is just spreading so damn quickly.

if you know any healthcare workers talk to them. They are terrified right now.

I don't know why this is such a difficult concept for some to comprehend. If the healthcare system is overrun we're going to lose a lot of people due to other health issues simply because they won't be able to get the care that they normally would be able to. Those deaths won't be counted in the official tally but those deaths will in effect be due to COVID-19.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Wait....what?? When have I ever engaged in either of those discussions? You sure you don't have me mixed up with someone else?

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

The fact that politics has somehow managed to worm it's way into a pandemic discussion at all just shows how completely broken this country is. To be sure, there are valid political considerations and there are GLARINGLY obvious blunders but the fact that we cannot disconnect from this "MY TEAM VERSUS YOUR TEAM" mentality over something so bi-partisan as a serious public health issue is completely and totally damning. 

I was talking about this post. Maybe it wasn't fair to you because I can't recall your stances on wealth hoarding and M4A at this point in time. But as soon as you mentioned this, a Super-Mod showed up threatening to move it to the Tinderbox.

I just thought it was really convenient, and maybe I should have quoted said mod alongside you.

My B.

Edited by Bronn

1 minute ago, Bronn said:

I was talking about this post. Maybe it wasn't fair to you because I can't recall your stances on wealth hoarding and M4A at this point in time, but as soon as you mentioned this, a Super-Mod showed up threatening to move it to the Tinderbox.

I just thought it was really convenient, and maybe I should have quoted said mod alongside you.

My B.

I literally never go in the Tinderbox and almost always avoid any sort of political discussions on here because they are completely pointless. Almost no minds have ever been changed arguing on the internet. I've seen people's minds/opinions be changed by constructive discourse in person or just simply access to people of different mindsets. That tends to break down common misconceptions and creates a much more conducive environment to actually have some sort of middle ground. 

No matter what your place on the political spectrum is, the most harm that is possible to due to your cause(aside from engaging in RL extremist acts) is to engage in arguing on the internet. It is the most toxic possible breeding ground for extreme behavior and ideology. It is not the fault of any sort of forum or format but it is the simple fact of having anonymous or semi-anonymous places in which there is no context, no visual cues, no space for empathy and a complete lack of the simplest of human filters, don't be an asshole to people. 

I will argue sports all day long because it doesn't have real world consequences(yet). People rarely get so entrenched in their fanhood that they are inflamed and/or coerced into actual violent acts. Unfortunately political and religious ideology have that actual real world consequence. Although it is a small minority, it is very noticeable the toxic manner in which people react being in these "feedback loops." I see it in normally reasonable people that immerse themselves in this sort of thing. 

And that is why I no longer(or try very hard to avoid) argue politics and religion on the internet. 

• Pie 1

Something I thought of that is on the brighter side as far as news surrounding the covid goes...

Utah Jazz organization had 58 people tested after it was revealed 1 player had it. Symptoms could take 2 weeks to show and a Pistons player apparently got it after playing them a few nights before... They played other teams who played other teams and had practices, etc. This is a sport where guys sweat like crazy, have a ton of physical contact, high fives (coaches, other assistants on the bench, players, etc.), wipe their faces, all are touching a ball that gets tossed around after all of this.... Only 3 (!!!) people total have tested positive in the NBA. That is a very small amount considering the environment, where you’d think with all the contact and touching, there’d be a lot more spreading when someone already has it and goes through the practices and games, etc. 

Maybe it doesn’t really spread as fast or as easily as many think and this will all be over with sooner rather than later? Hoping this is the case.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Something I thought of that is on the brighter side as far as news surrounding the covid goes...

Utah Jazz organization had 58 people tested after it was revealed 1 player had it. Symptoms could take 2 weeks to show and a Pistons player apparently got it after playing them a few nights before... They played other teams who played other teams and had practices, etc. This is a sport where guys sweat like crazy, have a ton of physical contact, high fives (coaches, other assistants on the bench, players, etc.), wipe their faces, all are touching a ball that gets tossed around after all of this.... Only 3 (!!!) people total have tested positive in the NBA. That is a very small amount considering the environment, where you’d think with all the contact and touching, there’d be a lot more spreading when someone already has it and goes through the practices and games, etc. 

Maybe it doesn’t really spread as fast or as easily as many think and this will all be over with sooner rather than later? Hoping this is the case.

Well I just spent a week in Tampa sharing glasses, cans and bottles of beer with hundreds of beer nerds quite a few of which flew to the area, so I will let you know....

Just now, t96 said:

China, Italy, etc. suggests otherwise.

But, there is preliminary research suggesting that the spread of this virus will be significantly impacted by the warmer temps and higher humidity of summer. Not stopped mind you, but significantly less contagious.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Papers.cfm?abstract_id=3551767

A lot of good that does us here in CO though. We're at least six weeks away from consistently warmer weather.

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yes, it is a real risk. But that is why I continue to spread the statistics that I do and try and reason with people(moreso in person). We can't overload this already stressed healthcare system with people panicking about this virus. Additionally, we need to be taking the proactive measures that other countries are and setting up testing basically EVERYWHERE. That will keep a lot of BS out of the hospitals and it will put people's minds at ease. 

You are correct that this could spiral out of control very easily. 

40-70% of the world's population will catch this novel coronavirus on its first wave across the planet.  that's reality.    there will be around 150 million americans who catch this virus on its first wave.    most will never know they had it.   we will never have an accurate death rate because it can only be compared to people who tested positive.   i'm glad you're catching on to our actual concern about the healthcare system.  the reason we need to be unbelievably vigilant is because we have to increase the amount of time it takes for the first wave to pass  - or our system will look exactly like italy's.  170,000 deaths in the US on the first pass of this virus looks very reasonable at this point.

also, a virus with an extremely high death rate - like the ones that worry you - are not the viruses to be worried about (population-wise not personally).  its a bit circular to understand but an extremely high death rate decreases its opportunities to find new hosts and spread.

• Pie 1

Just now, raz said:

40-70% of the world's population will catch this novel coronavirus on its first wave across the planet.  that's reality.    there will be around 150 million americans who catch this virus on its first wave.    most will never know they had it.   we will never have an accurate death rate because it can only be compared to people who tested positive.   i'm glad you're catching on to our actual concern about the healthcare system.  the reason we need to be unbelievably vigilant is because we have to increase the amount of time it takes for the first wave to pass  - or our system will look exactly like italy's.  170,000 deaths in the US on the first pass of this virus looks very reasonable at this point.

also, a virus with an extremely high death rate - like the ones that worry you - are not the viruses to be worried about (population-wise not personally).  its a bit circular to understand but an extremely high death rate decreases its opportunities to find new hosts and spread.

Unfortunately, we might already be looking at an Italy type or worse situation in some places. Seattle, NYC, etc. Colorado might be on that list too.

4 minutes ago, raz said:

That's a lot of "what ifs" in that paragraph. We will see what happens. 

Also, high death rates don't seem to slow down other viruses. There are more factors that play into the spread than simply killing off the hosts. That's a little bit of an oversimplification but I get what you are trying to say. 

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Well I just spent a week in Tampa sharing glasses, cans and bottles of beer with hundreds of beer nerds quite a few of which flew to the area, so I will let you know....

Look on the bright side, if you do catch it, you could sell your blood as a vaccine to the highest bidder after you get better.

• Flames 1