• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

8 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Truth of the matter is that if you don't feel bad, you aren't necessarily going to know to stay home. 

Fun fact: anyone can get the Flu. Many, many people likely have the Flu and are asymptomatic; a virus that killed 61,099 in the US alone during the winter of 2017-2018. The response to those deaths is minimal and it's understandable. 

Coronavirus seems to be more cantagious, sure, but we don't know what the true mortality rate is. Most likely we will find the mortality rate to be much lower than it's projected right now as there are going to be many, many people without symptoms and many more who have symptoms but aren't tested, thus aren't included in immediate "confirmed cases"

Experts say that the fatality rate is said to be 10x higher than the flu.  If we assume that the 2017-2018 Flu  killed 65,000 people out of 45 million who were infected, that's a rate of 0.014% .   Multiply it by 10 and that means about 650,000 people would die from Coronavirus.  The number is likely in the millions because Coronavirus is proving to be more contagious and the likely number of infections (if unchecked) would be 50-60% of our population. 

Just thought I'd put it in context for you.  

Edited by NAS

Down here in Fayetteville, people STILL aren't taking it seriously. People giving me funny looks like I'm the dumbass for wearing a mask. Even had two women in their car at a stoplight point and laugh at me and got their phone out to I guess take a pic. Flipped them a quick middle finger since I couldn't unbuckle and pull my ass out fast enough.

And what I want to know is, there are no masks in stores ANYWHERE in this town, yet I don't see a damn person wearing one. So who the fug is buying all these masks? Do people just buy them and store them without any intention of using them? People are dumb.

Edited by Castavar
  • Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Castavar said:

Down here in Fayetteville, people STILL aren't taking it seriously. People giving me funny looks like I'm the dumbass for wearing a mask. Even had two women in their car at a stoplight point and laugh at me and got their phone out to I guess take a pic. Flipped them a quick middle finger since I couldn't unbuckle and pull my ass out fast enough.

And what I want to know is, there are no masks in stores ANYWHERE in this town, yet I don't see a damn person wearing one. So who the fug is buying all these masks? Do people just buy them and store them without any intention of using them? People are dumb.

Can you describe the middle finger more - like did you channel your inner Vern Butler and do the no look bird or was it more of a Stone Cole middle finger 

5 minutes ago, Castavar said:

And what I want to know is, there are no masks ANYWHERE in this town, yet I don't see a damn person wearing one. So who the fug is buying all these masks? Do people just buy them and store them without any intention of using them? People are dumb.

We don’t tend to keep masks at the rate Asian countries and big cities do. They are probably all shipped to and stockpiled at hospitals around the state. Fun fact, N95 and construction masks will work too.

We are actually at such of a shortage of masks the government is asking for construction companies to donate their N95 to hospitals. You gotta think. You interact with a patient who has COVID-19 you can’t just walk into the next patients room wearing the same mask. 

Edited by Harbingers

7 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

Can you describe the middle finger more - like did you channel your inner Vern Butler and do the no look bird or was it more of a Stone Cole middle finger 

Something like this lol

giphy.gif

Edited by Castavar
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

We don’t tend to keep masks at the rate Asian countries and big cities do. They are probably all shipped to and stockpiled at hospitals around the state. Fun fact, N95 and construction masks will work too.

We are actually at such of a shortage of masks the government is asking for construction companies to donate their N95 to hospitals. You gotta think. You interact with a patient who has COVID-19 you can’t just walk into the next patients room wearing the same mask. 

That's just sad man. I even read somewhere that some hospitals have gotten to the point where they have to reuse n95 and surgical masks. I think it's time for the federal government to nationalize some factories.

58 minutes ago, NAS said:

Experts say that the fatality rate is said to be 10x higher than the flu.  If we assume that the 2017-2018 Flu  killed 65,000 people out of 45 million who were infected, that's a rate of 0.014% .   Multiply it by 10 and that means about 650,000 people would die from Coronavirus.  The number is likely in the millions because Coronavirus is proving to be more contagious and the likely number of infections (if unchecked) would be 50-60% of our population. 

What experts?  Everything I have seen so far says that the death rate is either a little higher than the flu, or that they don't really know at this point.  It also seems to vary according to region.  The worst hit region in China had a 2.9% death rate, while others are as little at .04%. 

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the New England Journal of Medicine, found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported. 

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu.

It seems to me that the biggest issue right now with this thing is that the experts just don't have enough information at this point. 

Edited by Davidson Deac II

33 minutes ago, Pantha-kun said:

Immediately lost my job due to coronavirus shutting down all schools. Doubt most companies are hiring right now.

So.. I'm going to trucking school next week. Get paid in school, during training , and get a job automatically if I pass the CDL exam 

There are going to be a poo ton of online purchases to truck around the country.

11 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

What experts?  Everything I have seen so far says that the death rate is either a little higher than the flu, or that they don't really know at this point.  It also seems to vary according to region.  The worst hit region in China had a 2.9% death rate, while others are as little at .04%. 

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

It seems to me that the biggest issue right now with this thing is that the experts just don't have enough information at this point. 

So you're the expert now?  I think I'll trust the CDC and WHO than some random Joe on a forum.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

At the moment I type this, there are 205,452 confirmed cases with 8,248 deaths.  That's more than 4% fatality rate.  Even if we assume 4 times as many unreported cases, that's still 1% or 10x higher than the flu which is at .01%.  

Death rates vary significantly by country and age.  Italy is getting hit hard due to lower capacity of beds and an older population, compared to Germany who has a very low death rate so far.  

You're right that we don't have enough information which is exactly why we need to assume the worse case scenario instead of wishfully thinking this is like a flu.  All the medical experts are saying don't take the chance and stop trying to downplay it.  

1 hour ago, NAS said:

Perhaps, but you're also only counting known infections and not people who simply have the virus and are asymptomatic. With those numbers, you likely cut down the 10x to 1.5x. 

I'm also not convinced that this hasn't been in the US longer than the known case in Seattle.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, CPcavedweller said:

Perhaps, but you're also only counting known infections and not people who simply have the virus and are asymptomatic. With those numbers, you likely cut down the 10x to 1.5x. 

I'm also not convinced that this hasn't been in the US longer than the known case in Seattle.

See my other post.  Unknown cases are accounted for, otherwise the fatality rate would be 50X higher.