• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

5 minutes ago, PurityControl said:

Yeah same here my personal chef business is on hold, I have contracts so I still get paid for the rest of the month but after that nobody is renewing for April so yeah. I'm lucky my wife works in tech and is able to work from home and still draw nice paychecks so we will be OK, but the rest of my service industry friends are taking in the ass hard.

I have friends that just opened a brewery and now are closed, they're  beer rich and cash poor and are now trading beer for food and other supplies.

Yeah. If the tide doesn't turn quickly I'll be done in about 4 weeks. Half of my contracts are through private party, not commercial, and those are drying up fast. Service industry goes under and this country is going to feel it far worse than imagined. We keep a lot of people working.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Yeah. If the tide doesn't turn quickly I'll be done in about 4 weeks. Half of my contracts are through private party, not commercial, and those are drying up fast. Service industry goes under and this country is going to feel it far worse than imagined. We keep a lot of people working.

As I have maintained throughout, the damage to people's livelihoods is a far, far greater risk than anything this virus is doing. 

People just can't be reasonable, however. Too many have given in to the panic. 

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

As I have maintained throughout, the damage to people's livelihoods is a far, far greater risk than anything this virus is doing. 

We are proving in real time that isolation and shutting things down is the way to battle this. China did it and is recovering quickly. No new cases today. Really smart people are telling me this is the solution. So I am isolated. That's not panic it's common sense.

The economy will recover.

• Pie 2

11 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I dont believe the numbers being given. A number of people I know had a 103 fever for 2 or 3 days with dry cough and they were refused by the hospitals and told to go home. They were told they cant be tested unless they have been sick for over 5 days.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I dont believe the numbers being given. A number of people I know had a 103 fever for 2 or 3 days with dry cough and they were refused by the hospitals and told to go home. They were told they cant be tested unless they have been sick for over 5 days.

That's messed up

33 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Well we don't have accurate numbers because we haven't been testing. I had a buddy of mine over and he and his GF got really sick with upper respiratory infections a couple of weeks ago. They tested negative for the flu but they refused to test them for corona. No joke.

I am not saying they had it but why not test and start following their trail? We are just dumb. But, on the other hand, people here have been freaking out over almost no cases so I can only imagine the level of panic if they knew the true extent. It is probably better we don't know, sadly.

• Beer 2

34 minutes ago, bull123 said:

This is an economic armegedon

Probably. The good news is we know how to handle economic downturns. The second biggest one happened a little over a decade ago. Stimulus and bailouts help. And we need individual and small business help as well. All parties tend to agree to increase the debt in times like these.

But the way to make this a two month rather than 12 month downturn is to do what the experts are saying.

/skips political rant/

As far as your local taco shop boarding up. That sucks and will happen. If you have a few bucks get delivery or curbside pickup from your local shop. If you have more than a few bucks buy gift cards. Look for local charity too.

And if you have lots of bucks buy equities and keep buying.