• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

18 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Because many of the places were blood drives occur are being shut down, we could be facing a severe shortage of blood over the next few months.  

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/21/us-blood-donations-shortage-coronavirus

I may go donate soon.  Nothing else to do on the weekends now.  

Donate platelets, not blood.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The virus can live up to 24 hours on cardboard. We're taking all deliveries and leaving them on the back deck for a day. Probably an over precaution but whatever. It gives me some peace of mind for my family.

Everytime someone shows up with cardboard, I hold them down and rub their faces in it to show them.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

I just saw a story that said some Italian officials think that the official death toll is inaccurate because they believe some older people are dying at home or hospice care of coronavirus. They're not being tested, so we'll never know.

I am not sure that is inaccurate. There have been anecdotal stories of people being found dead at home in Italy. Is it widespread? Probably not. Has it happened? For sure.

Edited by kungfoodude

5 minutes ago, stirs said:

This is the type of article that drives me crazy. The only way to beat this thing is to change our daily lives. Is that hysteria, you bet, no American wants to change how they live. However, even if this disease does not affect you, you could pass it to someone who has a compromised system and it become a death sentence. I don’t care if the media wants to control other people’s fears and emotions, we need to practice restraint and remain isolated for a period of time. The moment you tell people not to fear, they will fear and then they will wonder why you are trying to control the narrative. This situation has not happened in our lifetime, some hysteria should be expected and understood, not controlled. We should be respectful of others around you, In the end will we survive.

I've heard the same thing multiple times today about lockdown on Monday.

One one hand it seems excessive, but these are unprecedented times we live in.  I will defer to the experts and listen to their advice.  

Stay safe out there my friends and take care of your neighbors.  Hopefully, if this does transpire, it will quicken the amount of time necessary for everyone to stay in their homes.

6 minutes ago, philit99 said:

This is the type of article that drives me crazy. The only way to beat this thing is to change our daily lives. Is that hysteria, you bet, no American wants to change how they live. However, even if this disease does not affect you, you could pass it to someone who has a compromised system and it become a death sentence. I don’t care if the media wants to control other people’s fears and emotions, we need to practice restraint and remain isolated for a period of time. The moment you tell people not to fear, they will fear and then they will wonder why you are trying to control the narrative. This situation has not happened in our lifetime, some hysteria should be expected and understood, not controlled. We should be respectful of others around you, In the end will we survive.

I'm torn on it. I don't like driving irrational hysteria and I love numbers, so I really like the work put forth there. However, most Americans are so damn selfish that it might require driving hysteria to get them to actually make the necessary changes. Yeah, if you're relatively young and relatively healthy you're highly unlikely to die from this disease. But going out there and getting it and spreading it is going to expose it to people in much higher risk categories. And at the end of the day, if the healthcare system is overrun then you're going to not only see a lot more people die directly from this disease but you're also going to see a lot of people die from unrelated health issues like our leading causes of death in heart disease and cancer simply because they're not going to be able to get the same (if any) healthcare that they would've been able to receive absent this pandemic. Those deaths wouldn't be counted in the COVID-19 death toll, but they might as well be.

• Pie 1