• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

3 hours ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

We had a three month head start and the President ignored it, joked about it, and wouldn't listen to any of the warnings.  That's it.

I was going to reply with something similar.

Trump dismantled the NSC's Pandemic unit that Obama put in place out of spite and foolishness. No way I believe that another POTUS wouldn't have done at least a marginally better job. At least!

And before someone says something dumb, I am unaffiliated as well. I do consider myself a staunch adherent of Progressivism. 

You don't dismantle global health infrastructure and expect humanity to progress. Many people in the know expected this very thing could happen!

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

45 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

South Korea and Singapore were ready.

No government could've been ready for this while claiming it was a hoax for two months before finally waking up and realizing it was here and already widespread.

In fairness, its much much much easier for Singapore and South Korea to be ready.  They are much smaller, with stricter governments in place.  Singapore is an island, and South Korea has only one land border that is shut off.  And they don't have to deal with 50 states/governors.

That being said, I agree our government should have done more at both the federal and state level.  

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Inimicus said:

According to Wikipedia you're not wrong. 8344 sq mi by their number.  But looking at the county map they are including a whole lot of near empty space in that 8300.  I mean that metro area contains Park county with 2200 sq mi and 18k people.

Your statement, while technically right, is still misleading.  How many guardsmen would it take to cover the 10's of empty square miles around DIA?

But his basic point is correct.  There aren't near enough military personnel in the US to enact and enforce martial law across the entire country.  They could set up checkpoints, but that would just be controlling movement, not enacting martial law.

1 hour ago, Happy Panther said:

Man, if they have to quarantine all of congress, that would be catastrophic.  I mean what would we do if they couldn't put on a show for the news cameras?  

j/k, I do hope Senator Rand is ok.  But it would be funny if we had to quarantine all of congress, and force them to all stay together for a couple of weeks.  Might actually get some things passed.  

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

WW2.  General motors built bombs, Ford built warplanes and tanks....they did this at an astonishing rate.  How is it the greatest country in the world cant produce some fuging masks, gloves and gowns?  I'm confused.

Most were being purchased from China?

17 minutes ago, motocross_cat said:

WW2.  General motors built bombs, Ford built warplanes and tanks....they did this at an astonishing rate.  How is it the greatest country in the world cant produce some fuging masks, gloves and gowns?  I'm confused.

It took a little while for production of those things to get started and ramp up.  Ford had some factories making war materials, but it took 6 months to really ramp up after pearl harbor.

Some factories are already switching to medical equipment, but it won't happen overnight.

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/local/hanesbrands-producing-face-masks/83-d0d46c7b-31e8-4903-914a-c8d991cafd55

According to a statement from the Winston-Salem-based company, HanesBrands is manufacturing the masks under contract with the U.S. federal government

HanesBrands is converting the production of apparel to the production of cotton masks approved by the Federal Drug Administration. According to a statement from the company, HanesBrands is manufacturing the masks under contract with the U.S. federal government.

The company has joined other major apparel manufacturers that are dedicating manufacturing capacity to meet the U.S. need for masks during the COVID-19 crisis.

"In addition to Parkdale Mills America, HanesBrands is working closely with Fruit of the Loom, SanMar, Beverly Knits, the National Council of Textile Organizations, and other apparel companies to share product specifications and patterns for the FDA-approved masks."

Edited by Davidson Deac II

Pols should not be "Polyana nor Eeyore"

Doc that is in charge, he is about the only one respected, so he would be the one I would put in front of the mic.

The finger pointing and crowing when things go bad or good is not helpful, but again, its what pols do.

Since most here only offer hindsight finger pointing, not sure this will get too many ideas.

But would the government be better to require those in the at risk categories to be shut down and totally isolated?  If we spend the billions on them and let the other parts of the population go back to work, would the long term costs to the country be better or worse?  Would seem that shutting everyone down because 20% of your population is at risk, might not be the most effective route.

And when I say shut down, I mean no visiting grand kids, grocery store visits, etc.  The money the gov is spending could be used to basically quarantine these folks and provide for them.  Most of them are not working anyway.

Just thinking outside the box a bit.

Not sure how that would flesh out, but wondering your thoughts, the ones besides "we shoulda done something"

• Beer 1