• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

4 hours ago, Cam's New Arm said:

Curiously speaking, are times like these good for your business? Does your company thrive monetarily during these crisis?

Not specifically, no - general research is as hampered by the need to quarantine and minimize exposure just like everything else. It does present opportunities to innovate and, resulting in project delays and slowed revenue. Strategically though it does put specific expertise and capability to use, building brand recognition and new relationships with clients (drug companies, biotechs, potentially even government agencies) who may not have required such expertise before. Personally, it also affords the opportunity to use our specific skills to contribute to improvements in public health that will result.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, Harbingers said:

There has never been a “cure“ or vaccines for Corona Viruses or SARS. “Cure” is a bit of a flagrant misnomer here. Treatment beyond supportive care is what you should be looking for. Remember the “common cold” is a COVID too. 

The “common cold” is not “a COVID”.  

• Poo 2

21 minutes ago, Bostonheelfish said:

FYI: Some common colds are actually a type of coronavirus. 

Yep, you read that right: Common human coronaviruses—not to be confused with the novel coronavirus, or SARS-CoV-2, currently circulating—can cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold, per the CDC. In fact, the majority of people will get infected with one or more of these viruses at some point in their lives—according to Marie-Louise Landry, MD, an infectious disease expert at Yale Medicine and the director of the Yale Clinical Virology Laboratory, four common human coronaviruses cause 15-30% of common colds. (Most often, however, the common cold is caused by rhinoviruses, per the CDC). Their peak season is also winter—aka, the same time as influenza. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-case-counts-are-meaningless/

A long read(more than the average Huddler can handle) but a good look at why being hyper focused on case counts can be very misleading. 

I haven’t read it yet but hospitalizations/ICU cases/death counts should be the most important markers. A lot of people reading mild are sent home, those cases aren’t closed quickly at all.

It took China a long ass time to update their active/closed case info even after they said they had it under control. Same here. To put that in perspective we have 307,000 total cases, 15,000 recovered, 8,000 in serious care. The last two don’t even equal the amount of cases tested positive today. 

Ok skimmed it. Ya, actual is way larger than what we know. Using his math at 10% serious(even though I don’t know what he considers serious, if that’s ICU or hospitalized) that’s 30,000. 184,200 are mild and projected to recover and 90,000 some who aren’t exhibiting symptoms. If severe means ICU Intubation 15,000 people are going to die according to the 50/50 chance doctors have been floating. 

Basing our Presumptions/predictions on the case count is  misguided at best. Mild cases won’t be closed for a while even if the person recovers. Also, as it was said Korea is experiencing people recovering but exhibiting symptoms a week later. That part is concerning.

Edited by Harbingers

2 hours ago, Inimicus said:

I'm not attacking your point but rather expressing a frustration.

I'm seriously dubious over using raw numbers as an indicator.  500 sick people are not alarming in a population of 500,000 people spread out over 500,000 sq mi but they are when the population is 50,000 over the same area.

What percentage of the population is infected?  How dense is the population?

People keep comparing us to Italy, but Italy is a fraction of the size and has a much lower total population and a greater density.  Its apples and oranges.

I dont meant to dismiss the severity of this, I wore a mask outside today and have sanitizer in my car, but to get a real idea of what this is in the US we need to stop comparing us to a smaller, more densely populated, countries.

same point- are they randomly spread out, or clustered together?

18 hours ago, stirs said:

Many have been talking about it for a couple weeks.  Just depends on the trials.  Tons of companies with tons of trials already begun on many directions.

An antibody with high binding activity to COVID will likely work, just as the convalescent serum extracted from survivors will also probably work. The problem is in getting those treatments off the ground and produced in large numbers within a reasonable time frame. Monoclonal antibody production is not trivial, and I don't have a lot of faith that it will be widely available before 50-75% of the population has already been infected.

11 hours ago, Bostonheelfish said:

It actually is, just not COVID-19.

This virus is so stupidly named. Just needed to call it "SARS 2.0" or "Son of SARS" or "SARS EVOLVED".

• Pie 1

https://twitter.com/i/events/1246819682419494912

It shows that GWB had said all the right things saying it would be a good idea to be ready for any pandemic. We should have already had some kind of contingency plan in place for this kind of thing but unfortunately we were blindsided by our own countries failure to do just that. It is now to late for that now since we are in a state of disaster.

Edited by PantherOnTheProwl1523