• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There will likely never he another time during our lifetimes when as much medical research focus will be concentrated on a single issue. 

well that's not true at all

not saying a lot isn't going into this right now, but it pales in comparison to things like biologics or various antihypertensives. 

the vast majority of tests right now are figuring out how to utilize preexisting anti virals.

that doesn't scratch the surface of what's going on with just like new treatments for psoriasis. 

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

well that's not true at all

not saying a lot isn't going into this right now, but it pales in comparison to things like biologics or various antihypertensives. 

the vast majority of tests right now are figuring out how to utilize preexisting anti virals.

that doesn't scratch the surface of what's going on with just like new treatments for psoriasis. 

Tests in terms of treatment options? Sure, they're trying to re-purpose existing drugs. In terms of vaccine research? I seriously doubt we'll live long enough to ever see anything like this again.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Tests in terms of treatment options? Sure, they're trying to re-purpose existing drugs. In terms of vaccine research? I seriously doubt we'll live long enough to ever see anything like this again.

dude this amount vaccine research occurs every single year for the flu. 

like yeah it's a big deal but don't go overboard. there is a ridiculous amount of research that takes place annually on the most mundane poo. 

like the number one infection in the world for antiviral research is tuberculosis and will be after this. 10 million people got it in 2018. 

that's fuging nuts

also turns out that vaccine might be the best way to prevent ARDS from covid-19. weird. 

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

also as far as we'll never see something liek this again, that's wishful thinking. 

the thing that's really going to get us is currently growing in a pig in eastern north carolina. and it will be antibiotic resistant when it breaks out. 

5 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

dude this amount vaccine research occurs every single year for the flu. 

like yeah it's a big deal but don't go overboard. there is a ridiculous amount of research that takes place annually on the most mundane poo. 

like the number one infection in the world for antiviral research is tuberculosis and will be after this. 10 million people got it in 2018. 

that's fuging nuts

also turns out that vaccine might be the best way to prevent ARDS from covid-19. weird. 

Don't take it from me and my very informed first hand source...

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41573-020-00073-5

As of 8 April 2020, the global COVID-19 vaccine R&D landscape includes 115 vaccine candidates (Fig. 1), of which 78 are confirmed as active and 37 are unconfirmed (development status cannot be determined from publicly available or proprietary information sources). Of the 78 confirmed active projects, 73 are currently at exploratory or preclinical stages. 

The global vaccine R&D effort in response to the COVID-19 pandemic is unprecedented in terms of scale and speed.

Here's another read if you'd like, but I have to presume you probably already know more than the Director in Chemical Biology Therapeutics at Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research.

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/04/15/coronavirus-vaccine-prospects

Rushing the process is going to take a vast amount of effort, and some of the steps are going to have to be done on a scale never before attempted.

“But that’s next year!” will be the reaction of many who are hoping for a vaccine ASAP, and I can understand why. The thing is, that would be absolutely unprecedented speed, way past the current record set by the Ebola vaccine, which took about five years.

It is a tightrope, folks, and we’re going to be trying to run across it. Watch closely; with any luck we will never see anything quite like this again.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Okay, you know more than the editors at Nature journal and former CDC and current Johns Hopkins PhD professionals whose lives revolve around this very stuff. Congrats.

i have no idea why you're getting so defensive, especially to a fuging medical professional. im simply trying to give you some perspective. 

that nature article's claim that things are unprecedented relies on this quote from HHS...

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services took steps today to speed the development and manufacturing of vaccines to prevent COVID-19, working with New Jersey-based Janssen Research & Development, part of Johnson & Johnson, and Moderna of Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Reminder that HHS is currently under control of a person who was pushing unverified treatments that cause people's hearts to stop working. 

like i get it someone smart told you a thing and you're clutching to it but jesus take a step back and look at the broader picture. having a basis of knowledge in epidemiology and virology doesn't lessen the severity of what's going on. 

like every single chemical company in the world is working on a vaccine right now. yeah there are more than there were in the 1980s. 

but even at the height of HIV denialism, the US government wasn't defunding the WHO, telling states to eat poo, and pushing drugs that don't do anything. if you think that's "coordinated" than i don't know what to tell you.

i don't even know what we're arguing about anymore

I really don't know why you're going on the attack. I'm simply trying to share information that is being shared to me by someone who is literally one of the nation's leading experts on public health risk assessment, biodefense, and emerging infectious diseases.

I get it, you're a front line medical professional. That's cool. Much respect. That's not what she does. This poo that we're living right now is what she does.

We just got proof that looking at the day to day numbers are useless as China just revised to Wuhan death toll with 50% (about 1250 new deaths). 

I'm Swedish and even though there are plenty of reasons, other than the soft shut down, our death numbers are high like larger part older population compared to our neighbors and reporting death at nursery homes, there is simply no idea of knowing if we are doing the right thing right now. 

And if soft shut down leads to less death in the long run compared to hard, that is actually only sad as while good for us it means a lot more deaths on a global scale. So I'm conflicted at that too. 

Let's hope for the best regardless of method and try to stay safe everyone!

Edited by Thorrez

I actually don’t doubt that this covid vaccine research is unprecedented only because this illness has affected everyone and the world economy, meanwhile HIV affects poor African nations and gay people moreso than anyone else and it didn’t cause a massive global shutdown.

i don’t know if people remember the HIV/AIDS epidemic starting in the 80s but that poo wasn’t taken seriously in America. The Reagan administration was laughing about the “gay disease” in press conferences. It wasn’t until some white kid in suburban Illinois contracted the disease that America took it seriously. Globally it was taken much more serious. And hundreds of millions of people have died from HIV/Aids since the 80s. Nowadays if you contract HIV, you can live a normal healthy life with antiviral treatments that make it so you have zero viral load which means no spreading. That took decades to get to that. Years of people taking treatments that led to shorter lives because it affected major organs.