• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

12 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

I actually don’t doubt that this covid vaccine research is unprecedented only because this illness has affected everyone and the world economy, meanwhile HIV affects poor African nations and gay people moreso than anyone else and it didn’t cause a massive global shutdown.

i don’t know if people remember the HIV/AIDS epidemic starting in the 80s but that poo wasn’t taken seriously in America. The Reagan administration was laughing about the “gay disease” in press conferences. It wasn’t until some white kid in suburban Illinois contracted the disease that America took it seriously. Globally it was taken much more serious. And hundreds of millions of people have died from HIV/Aids since the 80s. Nowadays if you contract HIV, you can live a normal healthy life with antiviral treatments that make it so you have zero viral load which means no spreading. That took decades to get to that. Years of people taking treatments that led to shorter lives because it affected major organs.

Ryan White 

• Pie 1

Von Miller tested positive with flu like symptoms. This virus is weird. My mother in law, who is not in peak health, tested positive and has no symptoms after 8 days since testing and who knows how long she’s had it before the positive confirmation. I’m thinking it has to do with how much of the virus you’re exposed to. Which is why it hits healthcare workers so hard and why they desperately need proper ppe.

Edited by TheRumGone

11 hours ago, stirs said:

Thought you guys were saying it would take 4 years?

Can someone tell me where the vaccine for SARS or MERS are currently? Oh wait there is no vaccine, how strange. They both have been around for 10 years or more and they are both Coronavirus’. Yep we should have a fix in no time.

21 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Von Miller tested positive with flu like symptoms. This virus is weird. My mother in law, who is not in peak health, tested positive and has no symptoms after 8 days since testing and who knows how long she’s had it before the positive confirmation. I’m thinking it has to do with how much of the virus you’re exposed to. Which is why it hits healthcare workers so hard and why they desperately need proper ppe.

Glad your mother is okay. Yes this indeed is a weird virus . I wonder why some have symptoms and some don’t 

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, TheRumGone said:

Sweet. So everything I’ve read is saying this could be 3, 4, 5 years. They don’t really know. They can make a vaccine quick. Doesn’t mean it’s going to actually widely work or be safe. It takes years to properly test. 

Those numbers seem high, 18 months to 2 years is what I hear referenced a lot.

Even then that is under normal circumstances, we have a lot more resources going to this then any other type of vaccine in the past.  You have mega corporations loaning out their supercomputers for this.  That doesn't normally happen.  Not to mention the government wil probably relax some of the red tape in this situation.

If normal circumstance is 2 years there is no reason to not think it can go quicker.  

8 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Even then that is under normal circumstances, we have a lot more resources going to this then any other type of vaccine in the past.  You have mega corporations loaning out their supercomputers for this.  That doesn't normally happen.  Not to mention the government wil probably relax some of the red tape in this situation.

If normal circumstance is 2 years there is no reason to not think it can go quicker.  

I think relaxing the red tape is going to be one of the biggest factors in allowing us to get something quicker than "normal."

11 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Yeah I totally get that. What the scientist I’ve been talking about here who is in vaccine development is saying is that there’s gonna be a lot of bottleneck issues.  We are gonna have multiple vaccines within that time frame. The major issue is the time to study if they are effective or if they cause adverse reactions. I know personally I won’t take a vaccine shot that has been fast tracked that quickly. It fuging sucks but we won’t have enough time to competently study these vaccines.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, philit99 said:

Can someone tell me where the vaccine for SARS or MERS are currently? Oh wait there is no vaccine, how strange. They both have been around for 10 years or more and they are both Coronavirus’. Yep we should have a fix in no time.

So, going back to my observation about the approach Sweden is taking and possibly developing herd immunity.  Guess they will be ahead of the world after all?

3 hours ago, philit99 said:

Where are the massive outbreaks? Those viruses aren't very biologically successful.