• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

The people that I feel the worst for are seasonal businesses who might miss their window.  For some its just a bad year, for others it means they have to close shop.

The ski and snowboard industry is going to get HAMMERED by this. For the resorts, this hit right before spring break which is one of their windows of opportunity. It also shortened the season here in CO by about two months. For the equipment manufacturers and retailers, there is going to be a TON of this year's inventory people are still sitting on. That stuff would usually be getting blown out at discounted prices right now. No one is buying gear now. No retailers are going to want to bring in next year's catalog while they're still sitting on a ton of this year's inventory. 

The real gut punch is if there is a second wave next fall. A lot of resorts are already making contingency plans for if there is a delayed opening next year. Some industry people are whispering behind closed doors that it's possible there won't be a season next year. If that happens, the corporatization of the ski and snowboarding industry will be complete. The big outfits like Vail Resorts and Intrawest will get bailed out, all the independents will go belly up and Vail Resorts and Intrawest will use their bailout money to buy them up.

27 minutes ago, RASTAN66 said:

20200421_103303.jpg

I live in Ga and it is bad enough not going out already spending time with my grandson at the park and this happens. It seems the the governor doesn't care about about the seriousness of social distancing to slow the spread of the virus. My daughter went to Walmart yesterday and she said lots of people were out shopping there and don't seem to have a care in the world at all and many of these people are being inconsiderate and rude to others as well.

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

This is exactly the kind of bs that keeps us under draconian rule.  How could a peak be in mid June? What the hell is the difference between 30%, 40% and 60% social distancing? Does this assume the stay at home order is lifted May 1st. What are they assuming is the transmissibility rate of the disease? What is the hospitalization and fatality rate? Do they know how many people have already had it and recovered? 

If a layman has all of these valid questions why in the world does the media put this crap out like it’s the Bible just to stoke fear and irresponsible actions by the public? 

Yep. The total infection amount doesn’t change. Only the timing of those infections change. If going only by that model, I would think 45% social distancing (whatever that means) is more ideal as it gets this over with in a few months while staying under hospital capacity. 

The media is still running with this assumption that we can get down to 0 new infections if we quarantine long enough. That’s just not going to happen.

20 minutes ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

I live in Ga and it is bad enough not going out already spending time with my grandson at the park and this happens. It seems the the governor doesn't care about about the seriousness of social distancing to slow the spread of the virus. My daughter went to Walmart yesterday and she said lots of people were out shopping there and don't seem to have a care in the world at all and many of these people are being inconsiderate and rude to others as well.

Take care of yourself and yours. If you need anything, be there when stores open. GA is going to be ground zero soon.

24 minutes ago, Tbe said:

The media is still running with this assumption that we can get down to 0 new infections if we quarantine long enough. That’s just not going to happen.

They are running with that on purpose.  It sets an impossible standard with maximum potential to prolong this thing and keep people fighting about it months from now.  

• Beer 1

31 minutes ago, PantherOnTheProwl1523 said:

To be fair, people are going to do what they're going to do regardless. It's kind of like driving. When your health and survival are partially dependent on other people being smart, watch out.

Side Note: I've been to Georgia a couple of times. Dated a girl who was originally from Winder. We visited there once and it seems like a nice place.

Can't ever live there though, for... legal reasons :Eyes_Emoji_42x42:

1 hour ago, Wes21 said:

Paying dues for a gym and not going is how gyms make their money!  I have 2 memberships, and both of them suspended dues while they are closed.  I'm pretty sure once they open back up, they will start charging me again whether I want to go or not.  There probably are some exceptions.  Most gyms have you locked into a contract, so you either pay the dues or you pay the termination fee.  

I recommend that anyone that doesn't want to go to the gym...not go to the gym.  There is zero wrong with that.  But I will be there as soon as it opens up, and so will other people I know.  For us its the biggest "issue" we've faced during the lockdown.  I could do this for 6 more months without complaining if you would just give me the gym back open. LOL

I went and got a set of gymnastic rings and bowflex adjustable dumbbells.  Your not going to get that free weight mass but I'm in the best physical shape I have ever been in.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, motocross_cat said:

I went and got a set of gymnastic rings and bowflex adjustable dumbbells.  Your not going to get that free weight mass but I'm in the best physical shape I have ever been in.

Good job!  I went ahead an got an exercise bike 2 weeks ago (Marcy XJ3220), and was contemplating getting some kettle bells.  My main gym is actually renting out equipment, but the pricing was a little steep compared to just buying stuff.  I'm a gym addict at my core, but anything I buy now will go to good use in the future because my wife prefers to work out at home.