• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This thread is very close to getting locked for good at this point. It's virtually devoid of productive conversation and has devolved into pure political sniping. Knock it the fug off.

Have you been using gloves at all when you are out?  I realize there is a downside of gloves if you do not use them correctly, but I have been shocked at the level of compliance in wearing a mask in my area (feels like 80-90%) but virtually noone has gloves on.  Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This thread is very close to getting locked for good at this point. It's virtually devoid of productive conversation and has devolved into pure political sniping. Knock it the fug off.

I'll stop. Everyone just take care. This thing is not even close to being over and we are starting to open back up.

9 minutes ago, ShowMeThe$ said:

I'll stop. Everyone just take care. This thing is not even close to being over and we are starting to open back up.

Actually, I don't envision it being "over" until we get a vaccine.  Flattening the curve was just trying not to overwhelm the hospitals until we caught up on equipment and such.  This whole time on lockdown, we are probably averaging 30k positive tests per day and most people are not even getting tested.  The good thing about opening in the late spring is that the weather is on your side.  Warm weather returning to the northern states should help them.  I say that as we are heading back down below freezing tonight, haha.

Edited by stirs
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

Have you been using gloves at all when you are out?  I realize there is a downside of gloves if you do not use them correctly, but I have been shocked at the level of compliance in wearing a mask in my area (feels like 80-90%) but virtually noone has gloves on.  Thoughts?

Purell in my car will have to suffice for the gloves.  Masks yes, but gloves are hard for me to do.  Might be a good idea, but tough for me to get used to.

1 hour ago, stirs said:

Actually, I don't envision it being "over" until we get a vaccine.  Flattening the curve was just trying not to overwhelm the hospitals until we caught up on equipment and such.  This whole time on lockdown, we are probably averaging 30k positive tests per day and most people are not even getting tested.  The good thing about opening in the late spring is that the weather is on your side.  Warm weather returning to the northern states should help them.  I say that as we are heading back down below freezing tonight, haha.

Wishful thinking, I live in Florida and tell that to Miami.

7 hours ago, Happy Panther said:

There are plenty of us who can engage in moderate debate. What I have seen in the world and in the Tinderbox is that part of the right has become so nasty that many on the left have given up and just throw the same tactics back. There are several folks in the TB who used to let the vitriol slide but now its black and white.

From my experience anyone who says they can engage in a moderate debate and the other side is nasty are usually themselves very much so too.

there is no debate. Each side only believes or portraits to believe just to establish a role and is usually rooted in emotion. Actually very few debates are totally logical. It doesn’t exist. People believe what they do, get emotionally attached to it and then find “logical” and “rational” points or support to back up their belief.

again... it’s pointless. 

5 hours ago, stirs said:

Things were a bit divided before Trump.  I would say Clinton years are were it started getting past the point of civility

A wee bit further back. All you have to do is look up what Aaron Burr, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton and others put out in papers back in the day.

keep in mind Burr went too far and got himself killed over it ha.

7 hours ago, Inimicus said:

The owner of our company, the CRO, and I met yesterday.  We are all within a couple years of being classified as boomers (which is only relevant to the previous convo about ideals on the workplace and generations). We were all pretty resistant to the notion of remote workers and the whole WFH notion prior to this.

We are very seriously considering sub-letting 2 of our 3 suites and shifting to a full work wherever/whenever you are productive model.  In a previous post I said we were a "bill 6 hours when you can" but the caveat I left out was we had the notion of "core hours" when everyone was expected to be online.  Even that's on the table now.

The workplace in 2021 is going to be radically different.

On a personal note I hate it.  I'm ADD enough that being at home is so full of distractions and so devoid of accountability that I struggle to do good work on a daily basis,I blame equally Igo, Reddit, and random household chores.

Im going to need to find some adderall.

As a decade-long CRO vet there is little to nothing a clinical CRO does for core competencies that requires an office. IT infrastructure, perhaps some corporate/executive meeting spaces, printing/central doc services, etc are exceptions to that but that's only a small fraction. Many things like proposal and contract functions and general training can be boosted a bit by having folks together but can also be done very easily remotely. Phase I CRUs and lab services are a different story of course.

The bigger thing IMO is a potential paradigm shift of mandatory wfh as you indicate. Not everyone likes it and not everyone has the space/layout to create a working environment at their home. Will be interesting to see how things unfold across all industries in the next year.