• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

45 minutes ago, Tbe said:

I’m sure that’s true, but it just started getting warm here in Charlotte about a week ago. It’s been really mild (70’s) since March. 

Has anyone tried to explain why its been so much cooler than "normal?" 

• Beer 2

51 minutes ago, stirs said:

In my boredom, I actually planted a lot of garden things, which got frostbit, twice.  Not like I didn't have time to plant them a third time, but still.

Get starter kits and start the seedlings inside and then transfer them. We had a frost come through here in Wisconsin (actually it straight up snowed but didn’t stick) and it saved about 45 seedlings I had started here. Unusual for this time of year.

you can make your own starter kit if you got some old toilet paper rolls and a plastic covering. Get the soil moist but not too much. Put it by a window. Creates a greenhouse effect.

10 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Get starter kits and start the seedlings inside and then transfer them. We had a frost come through here in Wisconsin (actually it straight up snowed but didn’t stick) and it saved about 45 seedlings I had started here. Unusual for this time of year.

you can make your own starter kit if you got some old toilet paper rolls and a plastic covering. Get the soil moist but not too much. Put it by a window. Creates a greenhouse effect.

I have been looking on line as small greenhouse type structures.  Growing vegetables year round might be worth looking into, who knows.

We normally don't get down to 31 degrees in mid May, so this year caught me by surprise for sure.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, stirs said:

I have been looking on line as small greenhouse type structures.  Growing vegetables year round might be worth looking into, who knows.

We normally don't get down to 31 degrees in mid May, so this year caught me by surprise for sure.

Yeah I’d like to do something like that. I got a couple rabbit traps also just in case meat distribution gets wonky and local butchers see huge upticks in business. I’m in the suburbs so no guns. If I was in nc I’d be in bat cave. My buddy has got himself a bunch of squirrels. Could live totally off the grid. Has a goat, chickens, a rooster and big areas of produce growing. I lived there for awhile in the middle of nowhere and learned a bunch of stuff.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, TheRumGone said:

Yeah I’d like to do something like that. I got a couple rabbit traps also just in case meat distribution gets wonky and local butchers see huge upticks in business. I’m in the suburbs so no guns. If I was in nc I’d be in bat cave. My buddy has got himself a bunch of squirrels. Could live totally off the grid. Has a goat, chickens, a rooster and big areas of produce growing. I lived there for awhile in the middle of nowhere and learned a bunch of stuff.

I live in a very rural area.  Rabbits, deer, waaaay too many squirrels.  Also seen wild turkeys on my place.  All of these are out of season, but if hunger came calling.....I have eaten squirrels, not a fan, haha.  My Dad, as a hobby, has chickens, so eggs and meat(for those no longer laying eggs) are an option.  Not sure how fishing is up your way?

19 minutes ago, stirs said:

I live in a very rural area.  Rabbits, deer, waaaay too many squirrels.  Also seen wild turkeys on my place.  All of these are out of season, but if hunger came calling.....I have eaten squirrels, not a fan, haha.  My Dad, as a hobby, has chickens, so eggs and meat(for those no longer laying eggs) are an option.  Not sure how fishing is up your way?

I haven’t been since I’ve been up here. They’re big on ice fishing in the winter but super crowded around the isthmus. I fly fish though. Try to find isolated spots soon. There’s suppose to be good trout here.