• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week 3 comp: Isaiah Simmons vs Jeremy Chinn

Since Isaiah was a hot topic for us to draft instead of Brown, I thought I'd look up their stats on profootballreference.com to see how Isaiah is doing. Theres a couple things interesting:

Chinn-vs-Simmons-wk-3-comp.thumb.png.83204cdcda0d9101a3546b339b32400e.png

If you look at the highlighted areas, the most interesting stat here is the SNAPS.

Chinn: 201 
Simmons: 35

For a rookie, snaps are everything because it's how fast they'll get acclimated. So by these numbers, Chinn is growing 6x faster than Simmons. Which, for a 1st round gamebreaker, why would they only give him 35 snaps after 3 games?

The others highlight comps are for QBR throwing at them, and total tackles. Which, again, is a huge difference!

Is Isaiah doing bad, or do the Cards not know how to use him? Or is this a reflection of football IQ and how fast Chinn has been able to absorb 2 positions, whereas Simmons is having a hard time adjusting?

It's just an interesting factoid I was curious to look up and thought I'd share. I'm amazed they haven't used Isaiah more, given how high he was drafted. It's only week 3, but so far, Chinn is way in the lead. Especially at the accelerated pace he's learning.

Looking at snap counts, in this case, is probably misleading.

Simmons is playing for a team that believe themselves to be contenders.  Perspective is important there.  I don't think they are, and most power rankings have them firmly middle of the pack.  But *they* believe they are contenders.

Thus, you are far less likely to start a rookie, or give a rookie significant playing time.  Especially a tweener.

The Panthers on the other hand *know* they are not contending this year.  It's absolutely in their best interests to play the rookies / young players and find out exactly what they have.  Chinn is one of them, and he's doing quite well.

3 hours ago, BrianS said:

Looking at snap counts, in this case, is probably misleading.

Simmons is playing for a team that believe themselves to be contenders.  Perspective is important there.  I don't think they are, and most power rankings have them firmly middle of the pack.  But *they* believe they are contenders.

Thus, you are far less likely to start a rookie, or give a rookie significant playing time.  Especially a tweener.

The Panthers on the other hand *know* they are not contending this year.  It's absolutely in their best interests to play the rookies / young players and find out exactly what they have.  Chinn is one of them, and he's doing quite well.

You don't bench a top 10 pick as a contender, if anything a top 10 pick should be a contributor on a contending roster. I think what it boils down to is one or two things...

1) They're not sure how to utilize him

2) The combine numbers created too much hype, and he's not as good as some thought so they're bringing him along slow

(To be fair Chinn is playing for us because at LB 3, and safety we don't have a lot of competition, and also to be fair, Chinn looks DAMN good)

There were a few reports that he wasn't a guy that embraced contact, and considering he's 6'4'' / 230 in college going against inferior athletes did that over-shadow that aspect of his game? Who knows, even though he played a lot in coverage in college being bigger and faster is an advantage, but now that's evened out more so at this level. 

I'm very interested to follow the career arcs of these two very similar to Moore & Ridley with ATL. Brown, and Chinn vs skipping out on SImmons, going to be fun to see it play out. 

I'm very excited about Chinn and wanted no part of drafting Simmons, but I wouldn't throw the towel in on his career just yet. We're three games into a season with Jo preseason and an abbreviated overall off-season. Simmons is a versatile tweener athlete but sometimes the challenge with those types is the staff figuring out how to properly use them and part of that is not throwing too much too soon at them, especially this year.

7 hours ago, weyco2000 said:

Trolling is definitely not your cup of tea.

There is actually truth to this one, believe it or not. It was discussed right after the draft. It was Brown/Herbert and trade back if we did not have either as an option. Truth be told, Simmons was never an option for us. Chinn was our go to since the start of it all.

55 minutes ago, Panthers will Rhule said:

Pretty hilarious that the troll is the one telling me that I am trolling. I don’t know what to make of you. Are you trolling or just don’t have any clue about the Panthers? Pretty embarrassing. You better get on the search engine and do some research before accusing me of being a troll. 

You joined the Huddle Tuesday night and you’ve posted over 70 times? Gotta be some kind of record!

Archived