• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I finally got a job

ladypanther

My previous job was a covid cut.  It took 6 months for me to find a job that might come close to replacing what I lost.   Good news is that I will be working remotely, and am looking forward to that. Also has good benefits.  The position is a base plus commission so no guarantees but I believe I can be successful. My 2nd interview was my 1st Zoom experience.

I know I am lucky...there are a lot of people who cannot find a decent job these days.  But damn...I would never have thought that I would ever be unemployed for 6 months.  It is a tough new world. 

On 10/30/2020 at 10:14 AM, ladypanther said:

My previous job was a covid cut.  It took 6 months for me to find a job that might come close to replacing what I lost.   Good news is that I will be working remotely, and am looking forward to that. Also has good benefits.  The position is a base plus commission so no guarantees but I believe I can be successful. My 2nd interview was my 1st Zoom experience.

I know I am lucky...there are a lot of people who cannot find a decent job these days.  But damn...I would never have thought that I would ever be unemployed for 6 months.  It is a tough new world. 

Congrats on finding a new job. I'm in the construction world and out here in the PNW competitive wages are running $30 an hour with as much OT as you can take. Depending on the industry I imagine it can be but others are growing exponentially. 

I was taught at a very young age to never burn bridges, always give two week etc. I really think that has been lost on the up and coming generation (and I’m not that old).

Congrats on the job, any job is good in this age, thankful everyday I have steady employment and while it did take hard work, that was merely a looked at as a given, make no mistake about it - luck has a lot more to do with it than people (especially older people) lead you to believe.

I had a six month layoff experience myself back in the 90s. I became a stay at home dad, growing more despondent every week that I was rejected for being over or under qualified for every job I applied for. Ended up getting basically a dream job, and now look back on the six months I spent with my 3 year old daughter as some of the best times of my life.

On 11/4/2020 at 8:45 PM, cookinwithgas said:

I had a six month layoff experience myself back in the 90s. I became a stay at home dad, growing more despondent every week that I was rejected for being over or under qualified for every job I applied for. Ended up getting basically a dream job, and now look back on the six months I spent with my 3 year old daughter as some of the best times of my life.

I had a similar experience, but the details of my situation and job search were different.  In the end the time I spent with my daughter from February to October will always be one of the most satisfying times of my life.  She was slightly younger than yours was, mine turned 2 that October so it started when she was like 1-1/2.  

One simple thing that brought joy to my heart then and when I look back on it now is our daily walks.  I would take her on an hour long walk in her stroller each day around the neighborhood.  Eventually this led to walking her around the backyard in her toy car in the backyard, and by the end she was able to take short walks around the neighborhood by my side.  I was able to capture on video the first time she noticed her shadow on the sidewalk in front of our house.

On 11/4/2020 at 4:36 PM, onmyown said:

I was taught at a very young age to never burn bridges, always give two week etc. I really think that has been lost on the up and coming generation (and I’m not that old).

How many times has a company ever given an employee a two week notice before cutting them loose? Yeah...

When I was a kid, it was commonplace for people to work decades for the same company. These days, you're an old head with most companies if you've been there 5+ years. There are so many layoffs, "restructures", etc. There's no reason to show any loyalty to most companies.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How many times has a company ever given an employee a two week notice before cutting them loose? Yeah...

When I was a kid, it was commonplace for people to work decades for the same company. These days, you're an old head with most companies if you've been there 5+ years. There are so many layoffs, "restructures", etc. There's no reason to show any loyalty to most companies.

Just because a large company does it does not mean it’s the same for you. It’s not showing loyalty to a company. It’s showing who you are as a person, character, and dignity. It’s not about the company it’s about yourself as a person and employee. It’s not a fail proof plan some companies may not care, but other may remember that and it could be a factor.

The point was not to burn bridges and that concept spreads further than a single company. Employees will notice who may go on to something better or different and can vouch for you and want you to join them. It plays a part in networking. I’ve personally experienced it.

5 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Just because a large company does it does not mean it’s the same for you. It’s not showing loyalty to a company. It’s showing who you are as a person, character, and dignity. It’s not about the company it’s about yourself as a person and employee. It’s not a fail proof plan some companies may not care, but other may remember that and it could be a factor.

The point was not to burn bridges and that concept spreads further than a single company. Employees will notice who may go on to something better or different and can vouch for you and want you to join them. It plays a part in networking. I’ve personally experienced it.

Companies should expect to be treated by their employees the way they treat their employees. I'm loyal to people, not companies. I have a great relationship with all but one of my former bosses.

Archived