• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

#1 Priority for Next Year

rayzor

What is the priority for next year?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. What should the top focus be on in year 2 of the rebuild?

18 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Paradis as insurance for what exactly? To ensure that we have the opportunity to field a horrendous, overpaid center?

I had the same thought, but he has 2 bad guards beside him.  His salary cap figure needs to be post June 1.  So if somehow we did not upgrade at C in free agency (because we have so many needs) and the draft, we still have Paradis. Yes, I get the emotion, but if we only had 3 needs, he would be gone, but when you have 8, it is difficult to meet them all.

But that is not what I was suggesting.  I think we are going to see a bigger roster overhaul this year than last, and my post details one possible scenario.

OL is Job One. 

The good news is there are a lot of good OL, including a couple of Centers.  Many are projected as second or third round picks.  The inside lineman are generally projected lower than Tackles, which is probably not all that unusual.

If we resign Moton, then we can be a lot more selective with our first and second round picks.  Sewell is the OT everybody is drooling over, but he may well be gone by the time we draft.  

If (a common theme) we don't need a marquis tackle, it opens up some other positions with the first round pick.  It may actually lend itself to trying to deal down and wind up with an extra pick in the second round, which the depth and ratings of the OL in this draft could make worthwhile (provided Hurney does not deal the extra pick to trade back up and select a diamond in the rough from Western East Carolina State Tech A&M).

Positions of need:

C, G, MLB, TE (if Thomas does not show something, which is still possible), and DBs.  OT goes in there somewhere, and its rating depends on the Moton situation.  From what I see, good Centers should be available in the second and third round, assuming we are drafting in the top third of the round.

OL had actually been okay until Thursday. It's for sure a need, but again our roster as a whole needs upgrades everywhere so it would be a huge mistake to reach on any position. We can basically take the best player available. I generally have a rule that you should only take one of these positions in the first round: QB, OT, WR, EDGE, CB. I'd say look hard at OT or CB in round one if the draft were tomorrow.

3 hours ago, PhillyB said:

i don't think TB5 is the answer at QB, but if there isn't an upgrade immediately available and/or you think he can be better, you fix that OL and LB core, which are urgent needs anyway. easily the two worst groups on the team.

I don't see him  as the long term solution, but for the next year or two while we rebuild the OL and get it on firm ground I think he's good enough to get us in the playoffs. I want us to create an ideal situation for a franchise QB to walk into. I don't want a new guys brain to turn to mush while we dick around with the OL.

11 hours ago, Dex said:

I'm going to get some hate for this but we need a damn MLB. A true field general and leader on the defense. Watching a defense without a Luke Kuechly or Jon Beason or Dan Morgan is exhausting. Our defense has no identity or confidence. Our gap discipline is a joke.

After that I say offensive line, DBs and QB. 

One of underated things those guys did was consistently get the DTs in the right gaps.

It's not the sexy pick but it has to be oline.... no QB will have sucess without it and we have so many years of neglecting it.... Moton has to be resigned and if a good potential left tackle is available in the first you have to take him, maybe some mid round C,Gs too..... we have Paradis Little and Daley under contract next season eeek.

Archived